Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Sep 2004, 04:56 (Ref:1103494)   #1
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Panoz LMP-07

Hi Guys, I saw the Panoz LMP-07 debut at the Adelaide ALMS race and thought the car looked wild. I know they raced it at Le Mans on 2001 but shortly after changed back to the old LMP. I know that the car had reliability issues. But I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what the real problems were with the car for it to just be shelved. Was it just a fundamentaly bad design ?????
Old 22 Sep 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1103842)   #2
stoney
Rookie

stoney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good article from good ol' Mulsanne's Corner, including a section from Andy Thorby, the designer:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/panozlmp07.htm
In the words of the ancients, one should make his decisions within the space of seven breaths. When your mind is going hither and thither, discrimination will never be brought to a conclusion. It is a matter of being determined and having the spirit to break right through to the other side.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1104414)   #3
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for that Stoney, A good article.

A great pity the car never worked out.

Does anyone know if Panoz will build another car to race again or have they just shut up shop.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 23:01 (Ref:1104430)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A good question indeed.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 00:30 (Ref:1104487)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I assume you mean "another LMP?" They're currently concentrating on the GT-LM, with the idea of it becoming a 911-killer. (Good luck to them, I say.) Once they've established the car as a good privateermobile, I'd guess they'll look to the LMP path again; but that won't be for a few years.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Sep 2004, 00:36 (Ref:1104488)   #6
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Thanks Paul, I did notice the Esparante on the Time Sheets for Petit Le Mans, It's about 2.5 seconds of the fasteds Porsches though. Is this a privateer car or a factory job. We don't get much news on Sportscars over here in Oz
Old 23 Sep 2004, 01:27 (Ref:1104503)   #7
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Right after they abandoned the 07 chassis I was in Mid Ohio at the race and I spoke to Panoz about the car. This is what they said:
1. Everything is wrong with the car.
2. The car does not break.
3. The car does not handle.

That car ran well on very smooth surface (example Texas). I remember Graf led few laps at Le mans in that car as well.
Then there was this team that Milka Duno was part of that bought the chassis. In my opinion that was the worst business decision ever in sports car racing.

Last edited by awegrzyn; 23 Sep 2004 at 01:28.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 02:17 (Ref:1104515)   #8
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by awegrzyn
Then there was this team that Milka Duno was part of that bought the chassis. In my opinion that was the worst business decision ever in sports car racing.
That was Multimatic. They entered into a development consultation with Panoz regarding the LMP07. Multimatic did not purchase the car, they simply lent their expertise (and took the project on) as I understand it.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 03:59 (Ref:1104550)   #9
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Maybe that was the deal, but it was said many times that they bought the chassis.
Anyway, it does not matter what the deal was. It could not be a smart decision, because even I knew at that point the cars were not performing and had no future. Panoz himself went back to the previous cars.

Last edited by awegrzyn; 23 Sep 2004 at 04:02.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 10:53 (Ref:1104796)   #10
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is polar moment as mentioned? Does he mean torsional stress on the chassis?
Old 23 Sep 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1104816)   #11
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by awegrzyn
Maybe that was the deal, but it was said many times that they bought the chassis.
Anyway, it does not matter what the deal was. It could not be a smart decision, because even I knew at that point the cars were not performing and had no future. Panoz himself went back to the previous cars.
That's an incorrect statement, that Multimatic purchased the LMP07. The deal resulted in Multimatic retaining the cars, but it was in exchange for their services in attempting to cure its issues. Multimatic maintains this consultant relationship with Panoz even to this day having most recently been involved with the Panoz GTLM.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 11:22 (Ref:1104823)   #12
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally posted by TerryC
What is polar moment as mentioned? Does he mean torsional stress on the chassis?
As referenced here, basically it's weight shift leveraged across a distance. On the '07, the feul tank was moved to the middle of the car whereas on the LMP1 it was behind the driver.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 11:22 (Ref:1104827)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
didn't multimatic run muen engines? or was that another camp.
sad events really as it was a stunner and nice new take on LMP design.
however the MulsanneCorner article does have Andy Thorby saying he isn't quite done with the car....
a twin turbo? and better brake sytems? a stiffening needed? an entirely new engine config?
Old 23 Sep 2004, 11:49 (Ref:1104859)   #14
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
That was Multimatic in their attempts to cure the car's issues.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 12:58 (Ref:1104933)   #15
class4v
Racer

class4v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was the Lister LMP the last project of Mr Thorby? Talked to M.Goossens @ Spa and he told me that the Lister LMP was a very good car, similar feeling and driving as the R&S he drove but with a lot more grip on the front.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 15:37 (Ref:1105071)   #16
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe Mr. Thorby was just voicing his frustration that the car couldn't be fully developed. Unfinished business might be a better way of saying it. But I seriously doubt that the car will ever race again. And yes, I believe the Lister was Mr. Thorby's last design effort. Hopefully that car finds its potential.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1105201)   #17
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't there loads of problems with the paddle shift on the LMP07?
Old 23 Sep 2004, 23:12 (Ref:1105511)   #18
Trev Campbell
Veteran

I don't know Simon, I know when it first ran at Adelaide it had heaps of Alernator/Electrical problems plus some cooling problems.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 23:29 (Ref:1105516)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Andy Thorby is, or certainly was, with Mygale, the French single-seater manufacturer.