Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Oct 2004, 14:17 (Ref:1120327)   #1
chrisrb2002
Racer

United Kingdom
Its's dark but I can see a bright light.
chrisrb2002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV race broadcasts

Quick question, just finished editing the japan race to put on to dvd, and it comes out at 1h18, the race was 1h24 ITV had at least 4(maybe 5) advert breaks at 2m57 each so that is at least 15 mins taken from the race but only 6 mins from the race is missing, so do itv after the first segment perform some kind of delayed broadcast so we miss less of the race than we should do?
Old 10 Oct 2004, 14:21 (Ref:1120329)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not in the live coverage, it is live!

The re-run this afternoon may have been slightly different.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1120333)   #3
chrisrb2002
Racer

United Kingdom
Its's dark but I can see a bright light.
chrisrb2002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how can it be, 1h18 + 4 maybe 5 advert breaks does not make 1h24 ( the start to finish race time )

confusesd... are itv actually doing something good for us!
Old 10 Oct 2004, 17:58 (Ref:1120413)   #4
mattmarvell
Rookie

mattmarvell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: ITV race broadcasts

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisrb2002
Quick question, just finished editing the japan race to put on to dvd, and it comes out at 1h18, the race was 1h24 ITV had at least 4(maybe 5) advert breaks at 2m57 each so that is at least 15 mins taken from the race but only 6 mins from the race is missing, so do itv after the first segment perform some kind of delayed broadcast so we miss less of the race than we should do?
Sometimes if a event has happend of importance during the break they will replay it themselves when back out of the ads..

Other than that the press confrence is almost over by the time you watch it and they pick a out point while you are watching the start of it.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 18:42 (Ref:1120437)   #5
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Come on, wake up you lot!! . You lose 2 laps for each ad break, as Ive protested before on 10 10ths. The press conference is 8 mins after it happens, as per the ad breaks and the Jim v Tony J race conference after. As Ive said before, get it back on BBC2, no ad breaks, all live and MURRAY comentating, with Martin putting him write; classic telly!!
Old 10 Oct 2004, 18:48 (Ref:1120443)   #6
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was watching the live timing today at the same time as the race and there is a delay of around 10 seconds.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1120444)   #7
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks, so were not live?
Old 10 Oct 2004, 18:52 (Ref:1120447)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We are live.

Television by satellite will always have a few seconds delay in reaching your television, but the race was shown live and in real time.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 19:00 (Ref:1120452)   #9
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
How bout the press conference? It doesnt take 8 mins from the podium to get seated? Youre in the know, please let us know!
Old 10 Oct 2004, 19:18 (Ref:1120458)   #10
mattmarvell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by djinvicta
How bout the press conference? It doesnt take 8 mins from the podium to get seated? Youre in the know, please let us know!
I've already explaned that...
Old 10 Oct 2004, 19:27 (Ref:1120466)   #11
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As Ive said before, get it back on BBC2, no ad breaks, all live and MURRAY comentating, with Martin putting him write; classic telly!!
No thanks, I remember BBC cutting away from French Grand Prix to Wimbledon one year, only showed about the first 10 laps, a bit of the middle, then the last two laps to the chequered flag.
BBC would show it in Grandstand so every twenty minutes news related to other sports would flash on screen like it does with World Superbikes and BSBs.
BBC wouldn't show qualifying, and peak time races such as USA and Brazil would have no chance.
ITV is bad enough with Coronation Street Follows Shortly....
If BBC ever has F1 they'll just chop off to Eastenders rather than have Walford run out of schedule.

ITV isn't perfect but BBC was worse, can't guess why so many remember back through rose tinted specs, must be thinking about Murray and James.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 19:27 (Ref:1120467)   #12
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
chrisrb2002 - are you timing from the start of the race, or does your timing include the green flag lap? That may account for some of the time.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 19:46 (Ref:1120494)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
gringottsdirect I think you are being a little unfair to the beeb. In the past they have not shown all the races, but that was early in their coverage. Now I think it would commit to it all, as they did in the last few years they had it. F1 grew in the years that the beeb had it and their coverage reflected that.

They have the big advantage over ITV in that they have access to two terrestrial channels at all times. It might be on BBC 2, but there is nothing wrong with that. On BBC2 they have he chance to delay other programs for the over-run sporting event - like they did for the first part of the Snooker Grand Prix final tonight. For the same reason they would also be more flexible over a situation like the one that presented itself this weekend.

What is more, I beleive, that they will have a more professional approach. The cooking with Trulli segments might disappear, but the coverage of the sport would improve.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 19:52 (Ref:1120500)   #14
mattmarvell
Rookie

Quote:
Come on, wake up you lot!! . You lose 2 laps for each ad break, as Ive protested before on 10 10ths. The press conference is 8 mins after it happens, as per the ad breaks and the Jim v Tony J race conference after. As Ive said before, get it back on BBC2, no ad breaks, all live and MURRAY comentating, with Martin putting him write; classic telly!!
More to the point Murray has retired he was not kicked off the itv coverage team .
So there is no reason to belive he would be tempted back by the BBC.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 19:52 (Ref:1120501)   #15
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Thank you Adam; I cant remember the BBC2 coverage; but no ads and it WAS complete, and had Murray with GOOO!!
Old 10 Oct 2004, 19:54 (Ref:1120503)   #16
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Sorry; didnt believe he was coming back; he WAS good but God forbid!
Old 10 Oct 2004, 19:59 (Ref:1120510)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Murray and Martin were complete the best commentating line up ever.

Ever since the 2001 Brazilian Grand Prix when James stood in on a ramdom basis I was dreading the day when Murray retired at Indianapolis.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 20:06 (Ref:1120523)   #18
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Ill have to be quiet, Ive a lump in my throat. Who would you prefer? James with GOOOO, or Murray with GOOOOOOO! Murray, Murray, yes yes, 81 today, Happy Birthday. All missing you.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 20:12 (Ref:1120534)   #19
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ill have to be quiet, Ive a lump in my throat. Who would you prefer? James with GOOOO, or Murray with GOOOOOOO! Murray, Murray, yes yes, 81 today, Happy Birthday. All missing you.
Yes happy birthday Murray.

Did you see the repeated documentry on him (filled posponed qulaifying).

He's as fit as a fiddle.

Old 10 Oct 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1120538)   #20
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Fitter than me; bring him back please..
Old 10 Oct 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1120544)   #21
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think ITV had done a good job. Just because they need the ad breaks to fund the channel doesn't mean it's rubbish, they did well with last years BGP catching 90% of all the action and overtaking. The Pre-race and after-race stuff is very well put together, better then anything the BBC did. Also, say if like on Saturday the Qually didn't happen? If it was on the BBC, u'd have an hour of football highlights of something, atlest ITV put something Grand Prix/Murray Walker related.

Ok, so ITV has its faults, all channels do, I don't mind watching 3 mins of ads ever 15 or so minutes, its better then having rugby/football all of a sudden flash up on the screen like the BBC did with most of their sports.

Think of it this way, its better than nothing.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1120545)   #22
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I cant remember the BBC2 coverage...

OK.

I enjoyed the coverage from BBC, but it was annoying when they had a lot of sports to cover and sometimes squashed F1.
Obviously with only two channels back then, Snooker and Open Golf fans had to be catered for too.
With extra digital channels available, BBC3, BBC4 or similar could show live qualifying, post race press conference and not suffer schedule difficulties.
ITV3 coming soon, just in case Coronation Street Omnibus takes up too much on ITV2, so use this maybe.

I don't want to defend ITV too much, but they aren't as bad as some make out.

If F1 returned to BBC then fantastic, no ads, I agree, but it needs the airtime guaranteed, to make me feel completely content.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1120547)   #23
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Well he wanted to end on a high.

He had been commentating for well over 50 years I think he deserves a break at his age.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 20:23 (Ref:1120553)   #24
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Luke; No no!! Im sure he could do 1 or 2. Might save us from James Allen. Least Murray said GOOOOO right!
Old 10 Oct 2004, 20:34 (Ref:1120562)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
What about a British Grand Prix special!