Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2004, 09:21 (Ref:1136165)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The cost of running a 3rd car

According to Sam Michael at Williams, the cost of running a 3rd car next year would be $10M.

Grove's technical director said the cost is not only that of an extra chassis, engine and driver's salary, but additional team staff. "You'll also have a third fuel rig,"

Reanult of course ran a 3rd car in Friday sessions last year, Pat Symonds described it as "an expensive exercise"

Out of a $300M a year budget $10M doesn't sound a lot to me, about 3.5% for a lot of extra exposure for their sponsors. In other words - cheap.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=67840
Old 26 Oct 2004, 10:04 (Ref:1136203)   #2
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty much all the teams have spare cars with whole spare car teams including drivers at the circuits already.

The biggest problem probably isn't cost, its more whether they'd have time to make enough spares for all the latest parts for three cars for 19 races! They probably wouldn't, so if anyone damaged anything you'd end up with 2 top spec cars and one slightly older version.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 10:11 (Ref:1136214)   #3
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferarri could afford that by replacing Sch. with a "cheaper driver" ;-). $10M is as you say cheap, in fact small change to most of the F1 Teams. As they all have a third "spare" car its really only running costs which could be subsidised by taking on a paying driver. If only two of the three cars are allowed to score points the 3rd car could be used to run all development parts during a race saving a fortune on seperate testing.

I think it would only be fair though that ALL the teams were allowed to enter 3 cars, and there really is no problem increasing the grid to 30 is there - the tracks used are all big enough and by the time you get 50% through the race there are normally several retirements.

To cut costs of the "team staff" allow less people in the pit lane to service the car. Next years rules with only one set of tyres means the wheel changers are only needed for wet conditions and tyre failures. The third fuel rig is rubbish - two cars can share one as happens if one fails now.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1136620)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Consider how much money they pour into testing and the seperate teams for that purpose. Think how much would saved if they were to cut back off-season testing and roll the expenses of the Test Teams into a third car on the Race Teams.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1136742)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by sonic
Pretty much all the teams have spare cars with whole spare car teams including drivers at the circuits already.

True, but then, surely, each team then needs a forth car as the T-car? Not only that, but iirc, each garage is big enough to house only 3 cars per team, where would the 4 th car go? Would it be left out back in one of the trucks?
Old 28 Oct 2004, 20:36 (Ref:1139254)   #6
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
No. The third and fourth cars could be housed in adjacent pit garages-there are enough at most GP circuits. If they all cut back their in season testing and tyre testing to a maximum of 10 days a year as per the 9 teams agreement/proposal they wouls save around USD$20-30 million a year.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 22:35 (Ref:1139343)   #7
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
With the "ballot" system though, all this extra funding would have to happen, and they are not guaranteed a position on race day...

They would also have to find/retain a 3rd race driver (unless this can be a test driver unlike it is now)...

D.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 23:31 (Ref:1139383)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't the idea that having third cars is less expensive than the loss for F1 as a whole (I could be really cynical - and believe me I tempted to - and say loss for Bernie)?
I think the race organisers contracts' with Bernie probably stipulate there must be an entry of 20 cars, and therefore by not having 20 cars they'll be in breach of contract or something silly like that.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 01:58 (Ref:1139464)   #9
DKGandBH
Veteran

It would be cheaper still to make their engines etc... available to the minnows for less money so they could stay in F1.

D.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 08:42 (Ref:1139635)   #10
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having 3 car teams is an interesting prospect, but it could mean more domination by one team.. Although its expensive, perhaps the smaller teams should be invited to have three car teams?
Old 29 Oct 2004, 08:47 (Ref:1139639)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There will only be 3 car teams if the 'smaller teams' fold, taking the grid to under 20 cars.

As it is, Jordan is looking more likely to be on the grid in 2005 and Minardi say they will be out even if they have to run their own (and old) engines.

Whether the powers that be (Bernie) would prefer to see 3 cars from the leading teams instead, is another matter.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 23:16 (Ref:1140268)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
We're sitting on 18 cars at the moment, though...........
Old 30 Oct 2004, 01:16 (Ref:1140298)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lets just hope we get 20 cars on the grid for Melbourne. 3 car teams should be a last resort. But then as has been mentioned a lot of this hinges on Mr Eccelstone..
Old 30 Oct 2004, 01:26 (Ref:1140309)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I don't see what Bernie has to do with getting another team on the grid for next year.......
Old 30 Oct 2004, 02:26 (Ref:1140319)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
If anyone can get another team on the grid, it's Bernie
Old 30 Oct 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1140641)   #16
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the cost wouldn't be so bad for the teams if the 3rd car was allowed to score points.

How long before people would complain that the driver who finished 2nd got maximum points?
Old 30 Oct 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1140679)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to ten-tenths SCJ, great name

I would imagine that drivers points would not be altered and the winning driver will always get the most. constructors may be different, but it is likely to be top two, I would guess.
Old 30 Oct 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1140686)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The most likely scenario, as Adam says, is that "third cars" would score drivers points but not constructors.
Old 30 Oct 2004, 19:43 (Ref:1140743)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Indeed, that system would make the most sense. HOWEVER, a few days back I read somewhere that they were planning on doing the reverse.

Now letting the thrid car score WCC but not WDC....that is what i read somewhere. It is utterly retarded and let us hope that there was confusion somewhere along the line.
Old 30 Oct 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1140757)   #20
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the welcome Adam

I suppose the other way to do things would be to allow the drivers to score points and for the teams to nominate 2 drivers per GP to score constructors points ala WRC a few seasons back.
Old 30 Oct 2004, 20:23 (Ref:1140762)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dutton
Indeed, that system would make the most sense. HOWEVER, a few days back I read somewhere that they were planning on doing the reverse.

Now letting the thrid car score WCC but not WDC....that is what i read somewhere. It is utterly retarded and let us hope that there was confusion somewhere along the line.

I think wherever you read that was mistaken - it is assuredly not the case.
Old 31 Oct 2004, 02:28 (Ref:1140957)   #22
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
That is precisely what I have been telling myself KB....it would be insane for sure.....

BUT, having typed that, the Powers That Be have come up with the 2005 qualifying format........ :-p
Old 31 Oct 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1141604)   #23
DKGandBH
Veteran

Will they have to "nominate" the two cars that could score points, as was the case in rallying a few years ago...?

DKGandBH
Old 1 Nov 2004, 09:53 (Ref:1141899)   #24
Barbazza
Racer

Barbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBarbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone's interested in how the teams see it, Pat Symonds went into some depth on the Friday of Brazil (http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press...bra_conf2.html) . Interesting to note widespread confusion on how points would or wouldn't be earned.