Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Nov 2004, 03:48 (Ref:1166708)   #1
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Variety in a Silhouette Formula?

I have been toying this around in my head for a while and its just so crazy it might work…

1. Ford and Holden don’t want another manufacturer.
2. The black wiggle wants some variety (and lets face it so do the fans).
3. V8 Supercars is basically a silhouette formula anyway.

Why not open up the field to any suitable body style from the Ford and Holden stable.

Two door coupes (it might even encourage a two door falcon again), four door sedans, station wagons (remember the TWR volvos and Wakefield’s 808), Utes (style side or trayback), Long wheel base Sedans

Parity may be a little hard at first (may be a good excuse to de-wing them a bit) but I think it could be made to work.

I also like the pitch you could make to a sponsor with the right vehicle.
• Utes for VIP Pet foods and Caterpillar
• Kmart would have to have a station wagon
• WPS would run Fairlanes or maybe Statesmans after Symons Plains.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 04:19 (Ref:1166713)   #2
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice idea....til you set the rules for parity. Why would anyone run a ute or a four dour sedan or wagon if they wanted to win, when they could run a Monaro, which with it's two doors is naturally going to be stiffer.

Great bodyshell idea though, you should talk to Phil Ward. He could do some great shells for his Aussie Race Cars.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 04:26 (Ref:1166715)   #3
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We get enough arguments about parity on here already. If you look to series like DTM and others, they tend to specify if the cars must be a 4-door shell or not. Seem to remember in the Group A days, most manufactures used a 2-door shell if they had one. Fair enough if every manufacturer has a 2-door car they can race I guess.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 04:50 (Ref:1166731)   #4
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back in the old days, Aero kits werent allowed in the BTCC. Enter the Volvo station wagon, with allegedly better aero stability, though it was probably more a case of marketing in motorsport.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 04:55 (Ref:1166733)   #5
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand the body stiffness is always going to be a problem, but thats half the entertainment....

The cars are too settled at the moment. The idea would be to take almost all the wings off the two doors so you could choose to run a nice stiff shell with no down force or a station wagon with a much less rigidity but a ton of aero.

Might at least encourage some passing.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 13:46 (Ref:1167028)   #6
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Variety in a Silhouette Formula?

Quote:
Originally posted by twinwebbers
I have been toying this around in my head for a while and its just so crazy it might work…

1. Ford and Holden don’t want another manufacturer.
2. The black wiggle wants some variety (and lets face it so do the fans).
3. V8 Supercars is basically a silhouette formula anyway.

Why not open up the field to any suitable body style from the Ford and Holden stable.

Two door coupes (it might even encourage a two door falcon again), four door sedans, station wagons (remember the TWR volvos and Wakefield’s 808), Utes (style side or trayback), Long wheel base Sedans

Parity may be a little hard at first (may be a good excuse to de-wing them a bit) but I think it could be made to work.

I also like the pitch you could make to a sponsor with the right vehicle.
• Utes for VIP Pet foods and Caterpillar
• Kmart would have to have a station wagon
• WPS would run Fairlanes or maybe Statesmans after Symons Plains.
The black wiggle wants variety in order to increase overseas marketability. Limiting the variety purely to Holden and Ford defeats the point of the variety in the first place.