Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 5 Dec 2004, 15:40 (Ref:1171400)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heikki Kovalainen

After watching this guy race in the ROC, he is quite the driver. After beating Michael Schumacher, I thought that was pretty cool. After beating the WRC champ in a WRC car that Heikki has never driven before was most impressive. I thought for sure he would have been smoked in the rally car.

No doubt in my mind he will be an up an comer superstar kind in F1. His F1 debut is not far off IMHO.

Even though it was all in fun...these guys were driving to win.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1171407)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was impressed by him too.

He said after the event he'll most likely be in GP2 next year, and his F1 prospects remain Renault supported.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 16:01 (Ref:1171413)   #3
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep he's a deffinate superstar to be. Great driving. I'm sure it won't be long before he's given his first F1 test.

Did anyone hear what happened to his Ferrari in the last race?
Old 5 Dec 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1171418)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unfortunately not, Tomato - it would be interesting to find out what the trouble was.

He has done a couple of F1 tests already - Minardi a couple of years back and Renault this season.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 16:10 (Ref:1171420)   #5
Mave
Rookie

Mave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0MAT01
Yep he's a deffinate superstar to be. Great driving. I'm sure it won't be long before he's given his first F1 test.

IIRC He already has tested F1 couple of times, Renault and Minardi I believe. He is a "Renault Driver Development" driver.

Gearchange stopped working on the Ferrari. Allegedly battery warning light was lit allready at the start. I guess the semiauto gearchange doesn't like a flat battery..?
Old 5 Dec 2004, 16:42 (Ref:1171435)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure the Race of Champions means a huge deal, beacuase the racing's so short and confined, and in very un-F1-like machinery. It's a good thig to win, but I doubt anyone other than Heikki or his manager will be making a huge deal of it.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 19:58 (Ref:1171596)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heikki has been superb for a long time now , the the exposure of the ROC will surley help get him noticed more ....I really hope he makes it to F1 . He has gave us plenty of entertainment in the UK in the past already.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1171651)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'm sure it won't be long before he enters F1, a definate star of the future!
Old 5 Dec 2004, 20:26 (Ref:1171652)   #9
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where do the finns keep finding all these racing drivers from. is it something in the water. (and no, i'm not saying vodka).
Old 5 Dec 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1171717)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
moved to the Rally forum, see F1 hot topic.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 22:19 (Ref:1171719)   #11
Red Emperor
Rookie

Red Emperor has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have the impression that we will hear a lot from this in a near future...
I got the same "feeling" with Senna and Schumacher.
Well it`s just a tought
Old 5 Dec 2004, 23:00 (Ref:1171762)   #12
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ever since his Formula Renault days I have been a fan and think he is a brilliant driver and without doubt the next big Finn in F1 - which I would love to see.
Well done Heikki - excellent result - wish I could have seen the look on Schumi's face!
Old 6 Dec 2004, 00:02 (Ref:1171832)   #13
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0MAT01
Sand in the fuel tank of the D-type? ?? Oh no, that was something else...

(only joking. I thought it was an incredable day, made even better by us "chancing" on the sunday parade with MS in his F1 car in Paris...)
Old 6 Dec 2004, 08:50 (Ref:1172060)   #14
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never understood why nobody realized how fast this Finn is. He showed excellent speed at testing every time he sat into an F1 car, that was very visible.

Another thing about Finns. I have been there, a couple of times. During the winter all roads are snowy. They do not clean roads, but drive on them like it was dry. I was scared to death, and believe me I drive faster than 99% of the European population,.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1172217)   #15
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heikki has certainly made a bit more of the world stand up and take notice.

Roll on F1
Old 10 Dec 2004, 11:13 (Ref:1176032)   #16
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It can't be long, he'll get there for sure. He's the next Flying Finn.

Dancing on the Ferrari's rooftop, did you see that?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1178750)   #17
topgirl
Rookie

topgirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've followed Heikki since FRenault days and I think he has amazing talent. The world has finally got a glimpse of what he is capable of and I hope to see him in f1 fulltime one day soon!

Hopefully he will get more F1 testing next year-it cant be that much fun doing all the straight line testing and shakedowns all year! Although I guess any time in an F1 car is probably better than none! Im sure he enjoyed the few extra days he got at Jerez throughout the year with Renault though.

The RoC was all for fun (& charity) but which driver would go there and not want/try to win?! It could not show who the best driver in the world is but he was the best on the night and I wish him continued success.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 01:10 (Ref:1178837)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked his hair cut.

Really, he is a brilliant young man and the fact that he rattled TGF enough to make him miscount laps and caused Jean Alesi to think he had beaten him before he did, augers great things for him. And i would like to see him drive in anything they give him.