Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 16 Jan 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1202160)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The IRL where next?

I would have thought Mexico would be best first.

Anyway how I see it the IRL is fine how it is, a part from a race in maybe Mexico and maybe Canada.

The IRL was partly original created because Tony George wanted to promote new American talent.
Well at first about 4/5ths of the field were Americans, now it's about 1/3rd, if that.
So the series no longer has to take part 100% in America.

And I take it that the Motegi race is for Honda and Toyota. And there is a few Japanese drivers.
Well I feel Britain deserves a race.
For the same reason as to why there may be an A1GP race here.
Because, there is British interest in the sport, the chasiss are British, currently good British drivers.
But I doubt this will happen.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1202196)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think a race in Europe would be a good thing for IndyCar racing.

The market here is already full with all manner of racing.

IndyCar must stay focused on the USA.

Having one race in Japan makes sense, as would adding one in Canada and Japan - and if they can bag Surfers from Champ Car that would work too.

But it must be seen as an American series in the main.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1202214)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd agree with KB - it was looking to expand internationally that caused CART so many problems. Looking to increase the number of US drivers should be the priority. Adding races in Canada and Mexico would be accpetable (although no the Quebec street race mooted elsewhere), but otherwise the focus must remain on North America.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1202222)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Having one race in Japan makes sense, as would adding one in Canada and Japan - .
Obviously I mean "Canada and Mexico"
Old 16 Jan 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1202279)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I would agree that the series should be North American centered.

For too long their has been a sort of Attention Deficit Disorder affecting open-wheel racing that seems to inspire a scattershot approach to creating and maintaining a series.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1206332)   #6
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The IRL should stay primarily in the US - it seems like those suggesting otherwise haven't paid full attention to the history of CART's demise.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1206371)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Absolutely NITram

If we don't learn from history, we repeat the same mistakes.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1206452)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Absolutely NITram

If we don't learn from history, we repeat the same mistakes.
I wholeheartedly agree guys, but it seems that IndyCar doesn't know its history.

Right now it looks like the IRL is down to only 8 American drivers, it's also going to go road racing, and any races that they add, seem certain to be more road racing or worse, street racing, the series is also likely to be going to Canada and then Mexico, and all of the small teams are gone. The manufacturers, and former CART superteams are now driving this series in the direction they want, with little regard for what the fans want to see. We also cannot draw in any of the dirt track racers that are necessary to the survival of this series, and the very thing that made it so successful in the past.

It seem's to me that the IRL wants to take CC head on, directly competing with them at their own, failed game, instead of going there own way. It's quite a gamble IMO, that may leave American open wheel race fans feeling abandoned, again...

Danica Patrick
Old 21 Jan 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1206541)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

If IndyCar can emulate the CART of 1993-1995 that would be excellent.

The big problem for open wheel racing in the USA is and continues to be the split.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 03:09 (Ref:1206880)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
It seems as if both Series' are taking whole Chapters out of the "Planning for Failure" Procedure Manual and implementing them.

At the rate they are going they are going to become support races on Grand Am weekends - I am not saying that to denigrate Grand Am!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1208561)   #11
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frankly, the three new non-oval courses this year are fine by me, each representing some of the best tracks the US has to offer. If they can snare Laguna Seca, that'd be great news for fans, as it's far too god a track not to host an open-wheel race each year. However, that should be the most road or street courses for now, certainly while ChampCars still exists with a positive forward-image.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 00:52 (Ref:1209110)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The IRL's decision to include road courses does, though, in my view, make the IRL and Champ Cars incompatible in the long run.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 02:32 (Ref:1209146)   #13
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that if the IRL races at really good road courses it will prevail, just as long it remains focused and reliefs itself from the serious caes of CARTatosis it is suffering.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 07:08 (Ref:1209230)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
The IRL's decision to include road courses does, though, in my view, make the IRL and Champ Cars incompatible in the long run.

Undoubtedly - but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Only unity will bring real success.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1209406)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Actually, in an odd sort of way it is a move that will help.

By blurring the distinctions between the two Series (all ovals vs what is left of the diverse mix) it will allow a merge and therefore unification to occur more easily. Fans on both sides will be used to the mixture of ovals/road/street venues.

In many ways the list of differences between the two Series' is shrinking.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1209568)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Absolutely.

It now depends on whether common sense is shown by both sides in doing that, or if it has to be a fight to the death which will damage single-seater racing in the USA overall still further.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1211488)   #17
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dumb question perhaps, but,

A - do you think that TG is becoming like CART to beat them at their own game, and put them out-of-business?

B - do you think its an effort to become so alike that a merger becomes more of a possibility?

C- do you think that the IRL is looking to siphon off casual open wheel fans who don't care which series is racing, as long as it has road/street/oval racing?

D - None of the above!

Danica Patrick
Old 27 Jan 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1211490)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

E - All of the above
Old 27 Jan 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1211496)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
E would include D, though.
Refer to the PF thread on infinity!
Old 27 Jan 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1211503)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

F - all of the above, bar D and E!
Old 27 Jan 2005, 22:10 (Ref:1211560)   #21
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Definitely B & C - I think A is unintentional evolution, not a conscious effort on TG's part. But think about it: so many teams in the IRL are former CART/CC teams that they are going to gravitate to doing more street/road courses.

TG is just following the natural momentum in that direction.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 22:20 (Ref:1211574)   #22
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
You sure thats natural momentum John, or is TG just plain losing control of his series to the teams and manufacturers?

Danica Patrick
Old 28 Jan 2005, 04:49 (Ref:1211745)   #23
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well they nabbed me with C. So I can't see why they can't nab others. I just want to go racing, and so does the average punter.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1211827)   #24
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
You sure thats natural momentum John, or is TG just plain losing control of his series to the teams and manufacturers?
Or maybe it is a case of "seeing the light"?
Old 28 Jan 2005, 16:46 (Ref:1212108)   #25
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Well, GP, that is a good point. By getting in bed with the manufacturers to take advantage of their "support" means going along with them as well. They want to get their product in front of as many people as possible. The more diverse (and popular) the Series is, the better the return for their investment.

I think though that even if the environment were one of non-leased engines - sort of like the NASCAR model - the drift towards diversity in venues would still occur. CART and USAC before then have been running road/street courses for a long time. So there will be that desire to continue to do so.

Sooner or later there will be a faction that just wants to go racing and at that point maybe we will see one Series develop.