Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 23 Jan 2005, 01:47 (Ref:1207539)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Motorsport Photographers handbook

I thought this would be a good idea, if the experienced guys gave us some pointers regarding shooting at a race meeting, with a media pass. Like I've started getting into it, and I still don't know everything. Just things like what's acceptable practice, where you can go etc.

Couple of things I'd like to know is, can you go onto the grid pre-race, and is it OK to just climb over the fence as it where, while the race is going on to get to a photo spot (I mean the spectator fence, not the armco!).
Old 23 Jan 2005, 03:39 (Ref:1207565)   #2
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My experience with ALMS events has been yes you definitely can go onto the grid pre-race (each race we have a photographer's meeting, detailing where the redzones are and how much time we'll have on the grid pre race.

It's usually a big no no to climb the fencing (no matter how short it is) to get to a photo spot. just walk around the track like the rest of us. UNLESS, there is a marshal's gate or the like.

during pitstops, pay attention to everything going on. for example at LM, if a team doesnt have tyres out, that usually means they are only putting fuel in. this means you have much less time to shoot the pitstop than if they were changing tyres, specially if there is no driver change. when the driver turns the lights back on, time to get out of the way, preferable toward the garage, not out into the pitlane. (or if you're Audi, you have two henchmen with a rope, and they try to take your head off pushing photogs back for a clear getaway)

the list of dos and donts is long, i think the best thing to do would be to post questions here and we can do a (decent?) job of answering them.

cheers.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1207853)   #3
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I say climb the fence, I do mean more entering and exiting via marshalls points. Just wondering if I wanted to get from one side of the track to another quickly instead of walking all the way round.

Anyone know of a guide for UK circuits for photographers?
Old 23 Jan 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1207861)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just don't go where marshals tell you not to, or where you don't feel safe. I think that is the simplest and best rule of thumb. I often go trackside as a reporter, and I've never needed to do a whole lot of fence clambering.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1207906)   #5
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If you have accreditation to go trackside that is behind the armco rather than the spectator barrier you don't need to use the spectator crossing points but can cross the track once it is clear of on track activity. However, it is always best to wait to get the all clear from the marshals before you venture forth.

Something else to bear in mind is the colour of your clothing - marshals wear orange so as not to be confused with a flag - please don't wear yellow or red, when trackside, and if you're going to wear a high visiblity vest please make it orange not yellow.

Old 23 Jan 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1207973)   #6
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
OK that's handy about crossing the track. Cheers for that. More questions as I think of them!
Old 23 Jan 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1207989)   #7
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Anyone know of a guide for UK circuits for photographers?

yep... its all in my head, gathered from experience!!

If when at a circuit your unsure of the 'protocol' then it worth chatting to the local photographer, (there is always one) and he will be the guy exchanging banter with the marshals, as he will already be friends with many of them.

The marshals are often a photographer best friend, you should be curtious, ask their advice, and when told, do as they ask!

Kelvin
Old 23 Jan 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1208192)   #8
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee
, when trackside, and if you're going to wear a high visiblity vest please make it orange not yellow.

In which case... if I ever get accreditation for a grandprix.. remind me to wear BLACK and cofuse Shumacher into thinking he's black flagged
Old 23 Jan 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1208229)   #9
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Just don't go where marshals tell you not to, or where you don't feel safe. I think that is the simplest and best rule of thumb
thats the principle i always follow. if it feels safe and isn't causing any sort of danger then do it till you're told otherwise.

as for coloured clothing...not sure about the red part...le mans has definitely handed us out red bibs in the last couple of years! ...although i do know of one snapper who had to swop places with another on the launch following pinsent to gold in athens due to the fact his red t-shirt with sid james lifting the world cup in 1966 could have confused the crews.

as for crossing the track, as kaybee says if the track isn't being used AND the marshalls say ok...then fine. btw...i know its a long piece of track, and the chances of them coming up the escape road are slim...but do any of the other snappers who've been to le mans ever get a bit nervous crossing the slip road at the porsche curves when a car appears in the distance? it gives me the jeepers i must admit!
Old 23 Jan 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1208233)   #10
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
I suppose the best thing to do if unsure is speak to marshals, I'm sure they don't bite. I guess I'm a bit shy, I should go in there with confidence though!
Old 23 Jan 2005, 22:56 (Ref:1208235)   #11
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
JamesC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshalls are the photographers best friend... I always make sure I have a chat and give them a nod and smile as I walk by...

As for scary places... I moved to the beginning of Hall Bends at Cadwell during a stop in the race - hearing V8 TR7s tearing up the mountain was very scary! I quickly stood back...

Most of this stuff is common sense really - I found my way around myself last year just about ok... most worrying thing for me was where to actually get track side... but its pretty easy to figure out once you get there...
Old 23 Jan 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1208237)   #12
vs346
Racer

Greenland
Mike, half the battle is looking like you should be there. If you're a pro, then act a pro, and you'll look a pro. People can sense it when you're leading them on. Drooling over the cars or the 'great' and 'close' perspective is usually a giveaway.

No need to be shy if you're a pro. You're there to do a job first and foremost.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1208253)   #13
vs346
Racer

Greenland
here's a link to a DON'T: http://www.pbase.com/ssmithx/image/34145653

...unless you want to age prematurely.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 07:27 (Ref:1208356)   #14
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Hahaha, nice one!
Old 24 Jan 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1208839)   #15
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have seen that before how much kit.............
Old 24 Jan 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1208973)   #16
vs346
Racer

Greenland
hehe, and if you look closely, he's shooting all Canon film bodies with Nikon straps. From a guy who apparently knows this shooter, his Canon straps busted and a Nikon guy gave him replacement straps. He shoots golf, and I think he's a Brit.

I can't imagine having to lug around all that stuff. I'm a firm believer in carrying only what you need.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 23:13 (Ref:1209057)   #17
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like to work on the grid, but there are a few things to remember. You have enough time on the grid for events like BTCC or F3/GT, but for club events there is very little or no opportunity as they stack-em and shift-em as quickly as they can.

For example, I will do the BTCC or F3 grid at Oulton park and then scoot along to Old Hall during the warm-up lap, making it just in time to get the start head-on and anything 'interesting' on the first turn. You need to be fit, the bigger the lenses and heavier the cameras.

I have never had problems crossing a circuit but you must always check with the marshals to make sure there isn't a course car or recovery vehicle coming along. Nothing worse than scraping an oily smear off the tarmac that was once a photographer.

Plan your day in advance, taking into the direction of the sun (should we ever get any) as well as the best places to shoot from. You can move around most circuits without having to resort to the public areas so leaping fences isn't always necessary. If you are working as a pro, then be one. If you have accreditation then you have as much right to be there as the rest of us.

Professional Motorsport Photographer
Old 31 Jan 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1213856)   #18
jason carter
Rookie

jason carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it's very wise not to lean on the Armco. If you're leaning against it when someone shunts, you're going to know about it....
Old 31 Jan 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1213907)   #19
Ian_H
Rookie

England
Durham
Ian_H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason carter
I find it's very wise not to lean on the Armco. If you're leaning against it when someone shunts, you're going to know about it....

Speaking from experience there Jason another one to watch out for is the tyrewall shower

Cheers
Ian