Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1229414)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Fantasy Scenario - you the F1 driver - what do you do?

Something i was thinking about last night -

Ok, you are F1 driver

It's the last race of the season at China 2005, your currently 3rd place in the WDC, 10 points behind the championship leader, but even if you won the race, you couldn't win the WDC because you don't have enough race wins. Your teammate is 1 point ahead of you and can win the WDC if he wins the race and the championship leader doesn't score.

Due to internal politics within the team, your contract hasn't been renewed, so this is your last race for the team, and more importantly you don't get on with your teammate.

The championship table looks like this going into the race....

Championship leader 90 points
Your teammate 81 points
You 80 points

Right, the race is 7 laps from the end, the championship leader is leading the race, you are second and your teamate is third. All pitstops are complete, so the team can't "interfere" with the stratergy due to a "dodgy stop" , when disaster strikes the championship leader and he goes out of the race, you are now leading the race with your teammate behind you, you know it's coming, and it does "let your teammate through to win the race and the championship!"

You have nothing to lose, what do you do?

Do you obey the order so the table finishes....

Teammate 91 points - WDC
(previous) Championship leader 90 points
You 88 points

Or do you refuse to let him through, taking the win, and more importantly, 2nd place ahead of your teammate in the WDC so the table finishes...

Championship leader 90 points - WDC
You 90 points
Teammate 89 points

Man, i have too much time on my hands
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1229416)   #2
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team comes first.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1229419)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd refuse.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1229422)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russfeld
Team comes first.
Maybe, but in 7 laps time your no longer a driver of that team

I have to say, i think i'd refuse, given that i was being "let go" by the team and i didn't like my teammate!

Last edited by Mr V; 18 Feb 2005 at 15:40.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1229423)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd let him through.

I'm employed by the team to help them win the title.

And showing myself to be petulant won't impress any potential new employers.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1229432)   #6
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I'd let him through.

Spot on there KB...Any new team will remember what happened and it wouldn't do you any favours in the future.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1229443)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would do exactly the same as Rubens did in Austria '02, wait untill the last corner to let him through as to show everyone who's the real driver of the day.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1229450)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't have moved over earlier in the season - but when the championship is on the line it is a different matter.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1229455)   #9
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ooooooh didn't read it properly

I'd let him through.

Last edited by Alex Hodgkinson; 18 Feb 2005 at 16:16.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1229471)   #10
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
I would do exactly the same as Rubens did in Austria '02, wait untill the last corner to let him through as to show everyone who's the real driver of the day.
In the last drive of teh champ, u got to be loyal to the team!
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1229483)   #11
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP victories are hard to come by and i wouldn't give the win away.........and i wouldn't expect any teamate to do it for me if the situations were reversed.

In my view teams should not ask drivers to do this whatever the situation.

If you win a WDC in this way ........would you not feel it was devalued (it would be to me).
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1229490)   #12
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'd let him through.

Yep.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1229494)   #13
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd take the win, without a doubt.

If you're lying 3rd in the Championship and your current team hasn't renewed your contract it's pretty likely you bagged a drive for next season 5 months a go so how it looks to potential employers is largely meaningless.

The team gets the same points regardless so they can't kick up to much of a fuss.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1229498)   #14
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn't have moved over earlier in the season - but when the championship is on the line it is a different matter.
Yes, I agree. Unless I really, really disliked the guy, I'd move over. It might be different if 'I' hadn't won a GP before, but your senario suggests that 'I' have!

It wouldn't really have anything to do with what future potential teams thought, though that is a sensible consideration, it would have more to do with doing what I perceived was the correct thing to do.

Last edited by krt917; 18 Feb 2005 at 16:59.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1229504)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Presumably when anyone signs a contract with a team this sort of scenario is discussed.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1229522)   #16
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a World Champion puts you well into the record books, so not reaching it would be a downer but...... I hate my team mate (we don't get on!)

The controversory caused would give you great publicity ....so......

I'd refuse - win the race, win the constructers championship for the team and then if the team didn't re-sign me as No. 1 Driver I would make it clear that the team is using team orders which under the regs is not allowed and earn my £500k from Max!

I'd then drive in Champ car and win the title to prove a point!

Last edited by DougK; 18 Feb 2005 at 17:22.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1229523)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougK
Being a World Champion puts you well into the record books, so not reaching it would be a downer but......

The controversory caused would give you great publicity ....so......

I'd refuse - win the race, win the championship for the team and then if the team didn't re-sign me as No. 1 Driver I would make it clear that the team is using team orders which under the regs is not allowed and earn my £500k from Max!

I'd then drive in Champ car and win the title to prove a point!

Team orders would be allowed in that scenario, I believe.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1229529)   #18
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd let him through - and yep this is why team orders need to be in the sport. And I doubt there would be any uproar from the media/public in this case - although those that had put money on you winning the race might be a little put out.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1229532)   #19
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I think that's right neil. Even casual observers would understand if you moved over in such a scenario, though you're always going to get a few who say 'stupid idiot, I'd have refused' or words to that effect!
Old 18 Feb 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1229542)   #20
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Prove a point by disobeying any team order until the last lap and let him go, but make it look good. That would be good for your future and you wouldn't be burning a bridge.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1229662)   #21
Bellof
Racer

South Africa
South Africa
Bellof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no way I let this moron pass. I rather take the win and hand the titel to michael...
Old 18 Feb 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1229680)   #22
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how close is the team-mate?? is he close enough to get to a point where he may be able to make a feasible attempt at overtaking, or a reasonable distance behind?
if the former then when he makes a move i would let him by without much of a fuss as he could show he is a worthy winner but you can save the risk of taking each other out. if however he is a long way back then why slow down to let him through, he is not a worthy winner of that race and so why should he go down in history as a champion as opposed to the seemingly more deserving driver who just happens to be in another team
Old 18 Feb 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1229695)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I'd let him through. It is the only correct action, in my opinion.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1229729)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The way I see it a driver should have to fight all the way for his title.

Therefore, if teammate wants the title, he's got to pass me to get it and I'll make it damn difficult.

None of this "after you" business really washes with me I'm afraid. Bad attitude I guess, but i'm sticking to it.

Also, I'm in the sport to do the best for myself. Purposely losing a position goes against this ambition.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 18 Feb 2005 at 21:35.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1229731)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

You wouldn't get very far without being in a car though, knowlesy.

If your actions prevent your team winning the world title (the drivers one - and the publicity that goes with it) then that's taking things to extremes.

It's a team sport and always as been.