Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 19 Feb 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1230281)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Facelift For Donington Park

Forgive me if you've read this before, but it's the first I've heard about it!

(Taken from DP's Website)

Major rebuild of facilities at Donington Park with an exciting 21st century design. Over £5million investment in Leicestershire circuit.

Clear Channel Entertainments underline their long term commitment to both sport and circuit

Donington Park, the Leicestershire parkland grand prix circuit, is to undergo a radical improvement to modernise its facilities to 21st century specifications later this year – the entire pit-garage, race control and media centre complex are to be replaced.

This latest phase in the ongoing works at the circuit follows on from the total resurfacing of the track, a year ago; the upgrading of hospitality suites at Redgate, together with the current installation of further kerbing and gravel beds and represents an investment of over £5million by the circuit leasees, Clear Channel Entertainments.

The circuit, which has hosted the British Motorcycle Grand Prix on an annual basis since 1987 has the contract to stage the event through until 2009 and these radical improvements are geared to the needs of the world’s leading competitors.

The current buildings have become outmoded, with Donington Park’s Managing Director Brian Pallett commenting: “Our current facilities are no longer suitable for staging major events, a situation that Clear Channel have reacted positively to, underlining their commitment to the sport and to the circuit for which they hold the lease until 2021.”

The works on the buildings are scheduled to start in October, after the completion of the 2005 racing season, with the clearance of the site and the building of a 38 garage pit-complex with race control, timekeeping, administration offices and media work room on the first floor, with a commentary box on the second floor.

The existing Paddock Suite will be doubled in size and completely re-fitted, providing a spacious working room for the International media at the grand prix, and also a well equipped conference centre boasting improved sound insulation.

Completing the new-look for Donington Park will be the installation of services and the resurfacing of the paddock area. “These exciting plans, which have been designed in conjunction with Dorna, the rights holders of the World MotoGP, are currently with Tom Wheatcroft, the landlord of the site, for formal approvals and will be submitted to the North West Leicestershire District Council planning department shortly,” added Mr. Pallett.

All of the works will be completed prior to the start of the 2006 season.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 08:44 (Ref:1230576)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No mention of any change that would benefit paying spectators?
Old 20 Feb 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1230633)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
These plans were mentioned last year about the time they re-surfaced the track. As I recall the plan was supposed to start Oct/Nov 2004 and be ready by the start of 2005 season.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1230645)   #4
nick_andrews
Rookie

nick_andrews should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the garages will probably be done at the end of 2005. Went down there for a general test and it does really need a Facelift in the pits
Old 21 Feb 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1231232)   #5
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did a track day there on saturday and the new kerbs are quite a change. Most of them are very low and easy to run a wheel or two over. My guess is that lap time should go down this season as the new surface seems really bedded in now and gives lots of consistent grip.
Personally as a racer and spectator I could not give two hoots about the pit garages and media centre what I do think needs improving is the melbourne loop - compared to the rest of the circuit it is very dull.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1231346)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The changes being made do benefit spectators - if the work's not done the circuit will lose its top class events and not be able to attract any others...
Old 21 Feb 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1231403)   #7
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not mention of sorting the stoneage toliets tho
Old 21 Feb 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1231479)   #8
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear! The toilets at Donington were one thing that was OK. I remember when they were built,looked like Swiss chalets.maybe they have deteriorated since I was last there. What us spectators need is proper stands with built in loos and bars,like Brands used to have and the horse track just up the road from here has.
What big events? I am angry that money will spent on this upgrade that would be better employed on the Birmingham Superprix revival.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1232746)   #9
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have they moved Donington? Last time i went it was in Derbyshire.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1232956)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nope, it's just over the border. It's just as nearly in Notts too.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1234521)   #11
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera
Have they moved Donington? Last time i went it was in Derbyshire.
The pre-war Melbourne Hairpin was in Derbyshire; the rest of the circuit (and all of the current circuit) is in Leicestershire.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 07:08 (Ref:1235292)   #12
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have always been amused by the bar at redgate which should have a fantastic view of the run down to the first corner and yet is built so that there is no view of the track at all.
I trust when they redo the pits/paddock the bar will be untouched.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1235393)   #13
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart
I have always been amused by the bar at redgate which should have a fantastic view of the run down to the first corner and yet is built so that there is no view of the track at all.
I trust when they redo the pits/paddock the bar will be untouched.
It would be very popular if you COULD see the track! I think the building
dates from the original pre war circuit when the layout was different. Hopefully there will be a preservation order on it. Perhaps local fans could get council to block planning permission for this project. The pits buldings were only built in 1977-I don't see why they need replacing. A good clean and proper maintenance should do.

Last edited by Rob29; 25 Feb 2005 at 09:26.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1236107)   #14
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
The pits buldings were only built in 1977-I don't see why they need replacing. A good clean and proper maintenance should do.
As one who works in the pits on a regular basis I disagree with you!

We need a new pit lane, with better facilities, a bigger paddock and an assembly area which doesn't necessitate latecomers crossing the paddock (long circuit use) or entering the pit lane in the path of other vehicles (short circuit) to get onto the track.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 00:26 (Ref:1237683)   #15
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
What big events? I am angry that money will spent on this upgrade that would be better employed on the Birmingham Superprix revival.

What have Clearchannel got to do with the Superprix revival if you pardon my ignorance?

The Donington pits are The Pits. Really need some modernisation. Hopefully it an attract the DTM and WTCC back after it's done.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 09:10 (Ref:1237846)   #16
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
What have Clearchannel got to do with the Superprix revival if you pardon my ignorance?

The Donington pits are The Pits. Really need some modernisation. Hopefully it an attract the DTM and WTCC back after it's done.
I did not say they had,just a suggestion that it would be a better investment?
DTM dropped Donington because it attracted too few spectators,they manage with very temporary pit structures at Norisring which attracts the biggest crowd. Birmingham would work-Donington is useless for spectators who are too far from the action.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1237972)   #17
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is Clearchannel's circuit though, so you can't blame them for wanting to invest more in it and improve it, especially for Moto GP.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1238061)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd missed that, and I have to support the entirely opposite view. Investing money into a single use venue is not logical when it could be used to improve and promote the permanent circuits for all to use. I'm in favour of the Superprix, but it needs to promote/fund itself.