Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Feb 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1236284)   #1
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Denis Jenkinson

What did you think about him. From I have read about him and stuff I have read that wrote he seemed like a pretty interesting person.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 01:13 (Ref:1236301)   #2
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bravery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton
What did you think about him. From I have read about him and stuff I have read that wrote he seemed like a pretty interesting person.
The man was a legend, not only for his writing but also for his photography. His account of winning the Mille Miglia with [Sir] Stirling Moss on Mecedes-Benz read as if you were sitting in the car as an assistant navigator!

Last edited by thebear; 26 Feb 2005 at 01:14.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1236474)   #3
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
The greatest

As I was growing up Motor Sport magazine was an integral part of my life. It was purchased each month from my pocket money savings and was eagerly devoured!

Denis Jenkinson for me was motor sport. His brilliant articles, his astute reporting and his deepth of knowledge meant he was without peer. He did occasionally get it wrong like when he said Rindt would never be world champion, but I forgave him this sleight on my hero becaus that was what you did with a genius.

He was a charming man who I met on several occasions at Grand Prix. He would always help out first time visitors to a venue with advice on where to watch.

He is still sorely missed.

Last edited by Steve Wilkinson; 26 Feb 2005 at 11:05.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1236562)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect this would be better in Historics.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1236579)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have bought quite a few old Motorsport's recently and his famous "Letters from..." do have an entertaining slightly cynical view on Motorsport. It wouldn't be out of place round here! Although it is always well placed cynicism.

In addition reading them gives you a great perspective on modern F1. It shows you that nothing is new and gives you appreciation of key moments and good performances. He once wrote about a Williams 1-2 at Imola (this was reprinted in a recent Motorsport). Many complained that it was dull, his cynicism did not agree with this, it was directed against those who couldn't see what motorracing had always ben about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
I suspect this would be better in Historics.
Moved

Last edited by Adam43; 26 Feb 2005 at 13:37.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1236804)   #6
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Denis Jenkinson was a very special chap. Great writer and a very cynical/critical observer who really got out of step with his favourite sport towards the end. It was a complete anathma to him, that a racing team would ever employ a driver on the basis of the money he bought to a team.
His book 'The Racing Driver', dedicated to the driver over the limit - may it help him recover - was one of four or five books which directly led to my 34 seasons of racing. His insightes into the required mindset were way ahead for me.
Someone told me he lived alone in a house with only basic services; but he was a serious competitor too, but worked out he was better off sitting alongside the greats (Moss/Eric Oliver sidecar world champion) and watching and analysing how they did it.
Did he not say that at any one time in the world, there may have been a lot of drivers who raced, but VERY few racing drivers i.e. drivers who only knew one thing and that was absolutely flat out?
I believe the term '10/10ths' came from dear DSJ.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1236814)   #7
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A true star and a legend in his own lifetime, although I suspect he would have hated that! I spent two fascinating afternoons with the man, once at Eau Rouge where he regaled me with stories of Belgian Grands Prix past, as well as stories of his motorcycling exploits throught the then very unforgiving Ardennes, and once at Silverstone where I was flag marshalling at Farm. Jenks came out on his trusty pushbike and spent the entire afternoon with us. I only wish I could have had a tape recorder with me to preserve his tales for posterity. I believe that the death of Senna badly affected poor DSJ as I understand that he suffered a stroke fairly soon after Imola from which he never fully recovered. The big sadness? The Political Correctness lobby banned the 2 minute 'Noise' at Goodwod shortly after his death......
Old 26 Feb 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1236844)   #8
mortda
Rookie

mortda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

To me DSJ Was "Mr F1"
Old 26 Feb 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1236866)   #9
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to find out what DSJ was all about you must read Jenks: A Passion for Motor Sport This book has about 75 articles by him including his account of the 1955 Mille Miglia, possibly the finest piece of motor racing writing ever. The book also includes tributes from all the great writers: Doug Nye, Maurice Hamilton, Nigel Roebuck, William Boddy, Alan Henry. One of my favourite books.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1236924)   #10
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
All of the above; like Steve W I too was brought up on 'Motor Sport' and lapped up his reports on F1. I think my losing interest in F1 started about the time he stopped writing. I never met him yet always felt I knew him through his writing, which takes you straight to the edge of the circuit, as if you were watching over his shoulder. A gentleman and a racer, yet I somehow feel he would not approve of the modern gentleman racer.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 08:24 (Ref:1237022)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I think Jenks could handle being Mr Grand Prix but not F1. He never did think a lot of Bernie's circus
Old 27 Feb 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1237119)   #12
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Access all areas?

I remeber an interview with DSJ that was recorded at Shelsley Walsh. Simon Taylor was the interviewer and he asked Jenks why he liked coming to Shelsley. The great man replied that it was the informality that he liked and that it was a great relaxation after the chaos of Grand Prix weekends. He finished with the unforgettable 'even I need a pass to get about at a Grand Prix!'

He may have been a little short, he may have been a bit scruffy, he may have been a bit acerbic but he was simply JENKS!

Last edited by Steve Wilkinson; 27 Feb 2005 at 10:48.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1239024)   #13
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reading through Jenkinson's 'Motor Sport' reports demonstrates a fantastic attention to detail, matched with pretty clear ideas of what he considered to be the good and bad in motor racing.

He was an eccentric individual, with motorcycle engines in his house, and - rumour has it - only enough power from his generator at home to have one light on at a time. When he had guests and someone needed the loo, the others had to sit in darkness until the 'culprit' returned! Don't know if it's 100% true, but it wouldn't surprise me!

I don't think that Jenks always had a particularly well-balanced view of drivers and events, but I don't think he set out to. It was the way he expressed his opinions and described what he saw that made him such a fantastic correspondant.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1241631)   #14
brm fan
Rookie

England
london
brm fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenk's dairies

Jenk's dairies
there is an exellent article in this months Clasic&Sportscar by Doug Nye telling the story of Jenks preparing and winning the Mille Miglia with Stirling Moss through the little mans dairy. He was so modest that the entry for 1st May reads up at 6 am for race day WE WON party in evening with Mercedes Benz-bed 1AM
Old 4 Mar 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1241803)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not just a brilliant journalist, and the person who invented pace notes in rallying, but a truly wonderful gentleman. I spoke to him several times at Shelsley when he was still competing on his motorcycle and he was always friendly, approachable and informative. Very much missed.

Probably my favourite moment in motorsport was a day I spent in the finish paddock at Shelsley. Jenks managed to ascend the hill in a better time than John Surtees (I think for the first time) and proceeded to rib him unmercifully (but good-humourdly) about it. To be present to hear these two legends of motorsport indulging in such banter was a privelidge I shall never forget.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1242088)   #16
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never met him but from my first copy of Motor Sport in October 1962 I was completely hooked on his 'Letter from the Continent'. In a world increasingly full of grey people (none of whom of course would even know about Ten tenths!) Jenks was a refreshing and completely non-PC individual. In addition to the books already mentioned I have and can recommend 'Porsche past & present' and 'From chain drive to turbocharger'.
In his last months Jenks was cared for at Lynhurst, the care home run by BEN (the motor trades benevolent fund) so I always buy my Christmas cards from them. Not only is it a good cause and away of remembering a great guy, but they have a super selection of motoring orientated cards.