Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Mar 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1244156)   #1
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
20 Mechanics to fill the gas tank.

Seemed really bizarre everytime a car made a pitstop theres all these guys standing there with nothing to do anymore,other than the guy putting the gas in and the lollipopman.
Will all the tyre changers be made redundant,is this part of the cost cutting F1 intended?.

Talking of gas tanks how many teams will be scurrying home to try and squeeze a bigger tank in for the next race?.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 08:40 (Ref:1244158)   #2
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Talking of gas tanks how many teams will be scurrying home to try and squeeze a bigger tank in for the next race?.
Are you talking about the F2005... might not be the next race, maybe the one after?

Last edited by alfasud; 6 Mar 2005 at 08:41.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1244167)   #3
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The men are standing there in case it starts raining,... so they can change the tires. That's all
Old 6 Mar 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1244168)   #4
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember in 2001 When Jordan had a bigger tank then the other cars... it never really worked for them.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1244171)   #5
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
One tank of gas will be great at Monaco,especially if you lead into the first corner.....it will be game over..........unless you crash in the tunnel.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 09:14 (Ref:1244188)   #6
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sure was...different.
There has been alot of talk of quick tyre pressure checking backpacks but it looks like they will only be used when there is the possibility of improving the handling that way.

Overall i thought that one race tyres were allways a good idea in theory and it's good to see them work out safely -so far
Unfortunately there are still serious concerns that need addressing
Old 6 Mar 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1244193)   #7
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Why dont the F1 cars have an adjustable tyre pressure device,cars at the local speedway here run them,F1 can adjust evertything else on the move why not tyre pressure?.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1244234)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here is a thread on the pressure changing devices: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66283 On car devices are banned. I'm not sure since when though.

Some drivers did change the pressures at pit stops.

It does look a bit silly having all those people around the car, but they are at the GP anyway so they might as well just in case.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1244251)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure if the automatic pressure adjustment is banned per se. More likely it can be seen as active suspension of some sort, if it's banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul_iulian
The men are standing there in case it starts raining,... so they can change the tires. That's all
Not really, that would be a lil bit silly wouldn't it? They'd just have to rush back in the garage to take the tyres, waste of time
Old 6 Mar 2005, 09:54 (Ref:1244252)   #10
Rossi # 46
Racer

Rossi # 46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Seemed really bizarre everytime a car made a pitstop theres all these guys standing there with nothing to do anymore,other than the guy putting the gas in and the lollipopman.
Reminded me of myself at work. The tyre guys all stood over the tyres and had a close look, trying to look busy.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1244258)   #11
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi # 46
Reminded me of myself at work. The tyre guys all stood over the tyres and had a close look, trying to look busy.

ROTFL Good one!
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:08 (Ref:1244264)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul_iulian
Quite right - I suppose that in the 7 seconds they are stationary in their box there could be a sudden unexpected torrential downpour!
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1244267)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That true... Though poor Massa might have something to argue on this subject
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1244278)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that it's quite simple for FIA to pass down a regulation to limit the number of people allowed to work with the car. I think 10 is a reasonable number for a normal stop... unless if it rains.

Not only is it dangerous to have people crowding up, but pretty pointless too.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1244309)   #15
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, 10 works well! The old "front wheel man" who stops the car/gets run over, the lolly pop man, say 4 people for fuel, + one man to shield the engine covering, and then 3 misc. to clean debries/change things.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1244317)   #16
Rossi # 46
Racer

Rossi # 46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Yeah, 10 works well! The old "front wheel man" who stops the car/gets run over, the lolly pop man, say 4 people for fuel, + one man to shield the engine covering, and then 3 misc. to clean debries/change things.
But someone has to stare at each of the four tyres?? You cant touch them, but apparently looking can somehow help.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1244339)   #17
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they didn't need 3 people to change each 1 tyre before, and they certainly don't need them now!

I'm sure it's nice to check the tyre over and check the temperature etc. but it's a safety issue. Some of the cars were passing real close to the mechanics (of other teams) in pit lane at that quite high speed of 100 clicks.

And F1 looks a bit stupid with three times as many people as needed standing around in pitlane not doing anything.

In my opinion, the safety issue of checking the tyre is less important than the issue of extra people in pitlane. Therefore, surely there should be a limit of people allowed in pitlane for a fuel stop, and allow more when needed?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1244357)   #18
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should be an 8 person limit in the lane, and they should also look at making the apparatus for the fuel hose lighter so that the lane cane be less congested.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1244404)   #19
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are those guys not there just in case the individual tyres need changing after a visual inspection
Old 6 Mar 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1244410)   #20
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must admitt I felt that very strange looking at the pit crew, so many yet, just standing there taking data.
It was unusual to see no tyre changes, and I think it was great that we're now having them type of races from the '80s, (as Martin Brundle very well pointed out) where the race is not part of flat out stints but a whole race, and I certainly enjoyed the race.

Last edited by luke; 6 Mar 2005 at 12:32.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1244439)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The race was a weird one, so different ot what we're used to. Refreshing in a sense.

The pit stops were even weirder though..........I couldn't stop laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of it all at first.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1244449)   #22
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very wierd indeed....
Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1244667)   #23
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pit stops sure looked silly. A limit to the number of people in the pit lane is needed. The fewer the better I think. 6-8 is the right number in my view.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1244674)   #24
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Put me down for thinking it looked silly as well. Only in F1, where the money is thrown at the most outlandish ideas in the hopes that it will buy a ten of a second, is the cost saving of eliminating tire changes offset by fitting out 14 mechanics in flame-prroff overalls and helmets to hover over the stationary car.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1244681)   #25
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching the replay and Kimi's last stop, they changed the tyre pressures, removed the damaged barge board, refueled it and checked all the tyres.

In total they would need
4 for pressures.
4 to check tyres etc
2 to clear radiators
3 for fuel (2 for hose & 1 for safety guard)
lollipop man
Front jack (marker to stop car so the fuel men don't need to move)
rear jack (to raise if engine stalls)
engine start

So that is 19.

I think they actually have 4 more at the moment as there used to be 3 on each wheel (one on the gun, one to remove wheel and the other to fit the new one, for efficiency they were all needed despite comments above)

Last edited by M Coupe; 6 Mar 2005 at 17:29.

Colin McRae 1968-2007