Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Mar 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1260978)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Speed is Impressive

Neel Jani and Scott Speed had the opportunity to test with Red Bull, the latest experiencing F1 for the first time. The American driver was impressive, finishing with the fastest time of the day at the wheel of last year's car.

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.h...24185102.shtml

Scott will be the new hope for American to succed in F1?
Old 24 Mar 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1260986)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's certainly the best placed to be that, yes.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1260991)   #3
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course you don't knows what the Williams cars were testing, but CERY IMPRESSIVE abyway.....
Old 24 Mar 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1261012)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Running a succcession of trouble-free and consistant-pace laps is impressive in a test. Time comaprisons don't hold any real relevence in their own right. All the same, it's ncie to see more evidence of Scott's obvious potential. He should do well in GP2 this year and get a coupleof Friday testing chances, before doing either testing or racing full-time in F1 next year.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1261037)   #5
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Yup. He will race in GP2 with iSport International team.

I will be following his progress in GP2 this year. He will fight with the young stars like Heikki Kovalainen, Nico Rosberg, and Nelson Piquet JR.

http://www.isportinternational.com/
http://www.scottspeed.com/
http://www.gp2series.com/en//website...ries/index.php
Old 24 Mar 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1261038)   #6
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that his real name? He sounds like a Vaillant character...it'll be good to see a Yank in Formula One - maybe it'll give the Americans a reason to get out of bed on a sunday morning.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1261051)   #7
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to him. This red bull team seems to be a cracking team
Old 24 Mar 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1261077)   #8
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
We can access the full laptimes here:

http://aplicacions.circuitcat.com/Te...1.asp?Idioma=2

Click drivers's name to see full laptimes.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1261161)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know my hopes are resting on Scott's shoulders. He seem's to have done all the right things, and made all the right moves, and he seem's to be the real deal. I couldn't be happier for him. I think American drivers need to vindicate themselves after the poor showing of Michael Andretti about 12 long years ago. Scott could be the guy to do that. As Logrence said, it will give me even more reason to get up early on Sunday mornings!

I have to say well done to Red Bull also. They have worked there butt off in the quest for the next American F1 driver, so hats off to them.

With a name like Scott Speed, it almost seem's like destiny...

Danica Patrick
Old 24 Mar 2005, 23:08 (Ref:1261165)   #10
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips1
Of course you don't knows what the Williams cars were testing, but CERY IMPRESSIVE abyway.....
Williams was using the FW27...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
Is that his real name? He sounds like a Vaillant character...it'll be good to see a Yank in Formula One - maybe it'll give the Americans a reason to get out of bed on a sunday morning.
Scott Speed is indeed his real name. Speed is an EXCEPTIONAL talent. I was impressed with him before the Red Bull program even started...another good article on the test is at http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/15856/
I would really like to see how Speed and AJ Allmendinger would match up together.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 05:55 (Ref:1261271)   #11
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjspierx
Scott Speed is indeed his real name. Speed is an EXCEPTIONAL talent. I was impressed with him before the Red Bull program even started...another good article on the test is at http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/15856/
I would really like to see how Speed and AJ Allmendinger would match up together.
my god... he even has a tv channel named after him.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 07:13 (Ref:1261297)   #12
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Speed and Allmendinger would be a good match up. Hopefully Speed continues his progress. Fast testing times help his image.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1261322)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes, his time in Brit F3 in 2003 may have been too early for him, and he fell ill didn't he? That can't have helped his career.

Certainly looked the part in Renaulylast year and does seem to be hot prospect if those testing times are anything to go by.

I'd like to mention another names though?

Ryan Hunter Reay?

He may not be Red Bull backed but he must be another F1 potential?
Old 25 Mar 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1261500)   #14
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
I think Hunter Reay has some potential although Allemendinger is likely quicker. Sponsors would love Hunter Reay though although that hasn't really helped in ChampCar.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1261504)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Fair enough,

I admit i haven't seen much of AJ cos Eurosport stopped showing CART last year!

I've read that he is certainly quick though.

I also rate Hornish and his ultimate credentials as for any likely F1 chances will be judged when IRL hits the road courses later this year, when most of his rivals all came up thoguht road course racing!
Old 25 Mar 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1261539)   #16
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I can recall Hornish was never much of a hot road-race prospect. He certainly is with the right team to help his progression though.
Other than Speed, I can only see Almendinger being F1 potential. RHR to me seems to inconsistent, mind you three teams in three years doesn't help that.
Antanucci deserves a shot as well, though I imagine the majority of american fans would have no idea who he is, due to his time spent in europe.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 25 Mar 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1261566)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In Atlantics Sam didn't do too well on road or street tracks, so I don't expect him to shine when the IRL does those races. Allmendigner did a lot as a ChampCar rookie last year, and may well have more ability than RHR, as well as some Red Bull ties. then again, I think they've been pushing Scott Speed all along, and probably decided some time ago that he was the one for F1.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1261567)   #18
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
I agree that Hornish has struggled on road courses. I don't think he really has an F1 chance.

Allmendinger was impressive in both Atlantic and ChampCar. He will only get better. I think he has a Red Bull connection as well although it may be minor.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1261571)   #19
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Boots said it better and quicker than I did,
Old 28 Mar 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1263862)   #20
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Before we get too carried away, Scott was driving last year's car and appears to have only been doing lowish fuel runs.

And yes, Speed and Allmendinger are certainly the best prospects for American F1 success. Speed obviously has the edge due to his current links.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 00:08 (Ref:1263871)   #21
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure CC is the best route to go if you want to get into F1 anymore. It used to be, but if Bourdais couldn't get a look from anyone in F1 this season, after the championship year he had in CC, than it's doubtful that Almendinger or RHR ever will.

I think Scott did it right. His whole focus was F1, so he went to race in F1's homebase of Europe, where he made his contacts, stayed in the spotlight, got to know sponsors, and teams, and most importantly, drove the tracks. That has to be the surest way to get into F1 IMO.

Doing a "part-time" effort like Michael Andretti won't cut it. You've got to live for it...

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Mar 2005, 00:56 (Ref:1263890)   #22
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Before we get too carried away, Scott was driving last year's car and appears to have only been doing lowish fuel runs.
I think he was quite a bit quicker than Jani in the same car. Not sure of the fuel though.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 01:43 (Ref:1263911)   #23
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosport67
I think he was quite a bit quicker than Jani in the same car. Not sure of the fuel though.
He certainly was - I was referring more to the comparison with Williams.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1264175)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Good analysis there GP Racer. Increasingly CART's field includes a lot of guys who tried to get into F1 but were ignored, and that still seems to be happeneing. Then again, no obvious future stars have broken into F1 for the last 3 years, after that run of Raikkonen, Montoya, Alonso and Webber got through in 2001-2002, so maybe the championship is overdue someone breaking through, and Liuzzi and Speed are both well-placed.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1264468)   #25
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
While I agree that that Speed is ideally placed, I wouln't count out AJ. AJ has something Bourdais doesn't have and that is a US passport.

There is some pressure to get an American into F1. This may create a chance for AJ but if Speed gets there first all bets are off.