Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 31 Mar 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1266171)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Molson Indy Toronto 2005

I went to the pressie yesterday and you can read about it on my website but I will tell you that there will be a lot of "off track" changes for the race this year. We'll have a new street party type event to be announced later, up in Yorkville -- and they'll have a lot of events for the 12-19 year olds like a Tuner Competition and something called "Pimp My Ride" which I'm sure you younger guys know about but which I have never heard of. Also an extreme moto event on one of those skateboardy tracks.

They've added the Honda Michelin stock car race to the on track events, which is a good local draw, and lowered the prices and brought in a $59 grandstand in Thunder Alley.

Bourdais, Ranger and Tracy were there, and by the way they were dressed apparently they had to be rounded up from the Day Labour Pool, or perhaps had been cleaning their basements when summoned. All were wearing jeans that were made for much taller people. Ranger looks older than Bourdais, which no doubt pleases him at present but in a few years he won't be so happy! A photographer asked Bourdais if he were from Quebec.

There were lots of government and sponsor people there and Paul Gentilozzi made a good presentation.

I saw the CTV report and they began by saying that CCWS had ended 2004 "in disarray" but that they thought it sounded like they'd got their act together for 2005.

I want to mention the new promo video which covers the 20 years of the Molson Indy -- very, very loud even with your fingers in your ears, but very exciting to watch. The music was by something called Juice and the name of it was "Sling Shot".

The race footage from last year presented the depressing news that one out of every three drivers whose name appeared on the screen is no longer driving in Champ Cars.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1266497)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
...something called "Pimp My Ride" which I'm sure you younger guys know about but which I have never heard of.
I wish I didn't know what that was, you're better off not knowing. I'll assume you are aware of all of those stupid home makeover-type TV shows? It's like that but for younger, stupider, males who have questionable taste in aesthetics.

Quote:
The music was by something called Juice and the name of it was "Sling Shot".
I'm taking a guess that is the same music that they played during SpikeTV coverage.

Quote:
The race footage from last year presented the depressing news that one out of every three drivers whose name appeared on the screen is no longer driving in Champ Cars.
They actually said that? Besides, other than Pat and Jourdain and probably Haberfeld, I don't see any big loses.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1267066)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see the big deal either, but it didn't present a really upbeat image ...

That Pimp My Ride thing sounds like what I expected -- Trash A Perfectly Good Classic Car. However, this and the other changes are clearly aimed at a much younger audience, the dwindling group of males 12-20 years old that are still seen by an out of touch media as the only people who ought to be consulted about everything (except the group of unsupervised toddlers who set social policy.) I know my 13 year old grandson will enjoy attending on Friday on the new $20 ticket.

Last edited by marcus; 3 Apr 2005 at 00:53. Reason: Cheap shot at the other series AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1 Apr 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1267311)   #4
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
That Pimp My Ride thing sounds like what I expected -- Trash A Perfectly Good Classic Car.

Only if you consider a 1991 Toyota Camry a classic!
Old 1 Apr 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1267338)   #5
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz, if you want to find out more about "Pimp My Ride," go here...
http://www.mtv.com/onair/dyn/pimp_my_ride/series.jhtml

I enjoy the show, and have the complete first season on DVD.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 23:42 (Ref:1267569)   #6
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz, they repair older junky cars that are falling apart and classic cars have nothing to do with the show, so now you can rest easy tonight.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1268235)   #7
pebbles
Rookie

Germany
pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone! :-)

I'm going to the Molson Indy Toronto - only thing I still have to do is order tickets. Unfortunately I have no idea which spots are good and interesting or which ticket category would be best value. I'd be really grateful if you could give me some tips :-)

I was thinking of the Thunder Alley grandstand plus Paddock pass. Or Silver category? Or would the "Club Thunder" package be worth the money?
Old 2 Apr 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1268238)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always liked the silvers at turn 1. Good track action and a good view of the pits.
Enjoy it! Hopefully I'll be there this year barring any unforseen circumstances. ie. Business.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 3 Apr 2005, 00:00 (Ref:1268280)   #9
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pebbles

Do not get Thunder Alley seats. I think they might well be the worst seats in motor racing. You see nothing but straight.

The silvers are good but if there is a point down the front straight where the cars move very close to the wall so your view may be limited if you choose the wrong spot.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1268633)   #10
pebbles
Rookie

Germany
pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the helpful tips :-) just ordered silver plus of course paddock tickets :-)