Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Apr 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1267200)   #1
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trying to find a web site on the history of Donington Park

I am trying to find a web site with the history of Donington Park and inparticular a diagram of the old circuit before the war. Can anyone help?

Thank you

Andrew
Old 1 Apr 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1267251)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't think of anything specific off the top of my head Andrew, but Leif Snellman's site has this basic map to start things going.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/t4.htm#DONINGTON

Fascinating site incidentally - I can quite easily lose myself for an hour or two wandering round it.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1267477)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were three different versions of Donington Park, all of which are illustrated in Bill Boddy's book "The Motor Sport Book of Donington", an anthology of Motor Sport's pre-war race reports. The reports are of varying quality (and accuracy!)

You can also find maps of the old Doningtons at Darren Galpin's site:

http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/doningto.html

Bob Marley
Old 1 Apr 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1267519)   #4
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Thank you for the links to the web sites.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 01:39 (Ref:1269372)   #5
Kvadrat
Rookie

Kvadrat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's TNF thread with my Donington research results: Pre-war Donington and its races
Old 4 Apr 2005, 23:44 (Ref:1270346)   #6
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Thank you Kvadrat for the link. I was there on Sunday and comparing the pictures from your link and what I saw it is amazing how much the track has changed over the years. How's your research going?
Old 5 Apr 2005, 01:12 (Ref:1270384)   #7
Kvadrat
Rookie

In my historical research I always try to imagine how it used to be in the past. If it's a race - how it began, progressed and finished, what happened to all the participants, how final result was formed through the race events, what spectators and observers felt during the race. It's very difficult because of lack of information. There are various ways of reaching this aim. First I'd like to find basic information to see whole picture. As for Donington, I wanted to know, what the circuit was in its every part. Now I not only can identify most of Donington pictures, but can imagine what drivers and spectators could see racing and watching there.

I have some doubdful pictures, but can't find time to sort them out and ask questions. Then I plan to purchase some Donington books to get more information. As they are quite expensive, I don't expect them soon.

By the way, I like British motorsport and want to research Brooklands and Crystal Palace as well.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 08:05 (Ref:1270591)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is an issue of Motor Sport published a couple of years back where they try to drive what constitued the original circuit...manyof the support roads are actually where the original track used to be...next time you walk under Starkeys bridge just imagine that was were the track used to run through. I'll try to dig out the volume numbers and everything for you

Last edited by PaulSands; 5 Apr 2005 at 08:05.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1270794)   #9
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Kvadrat have you looked at Shelsley Walsh, which is a hill climb near Worcester. The hill is celebrating its centaury this year and in the 1930s had drivers like Mays and Stuck going up it.
Paul thank you it would be interesting, because I think today part of the old track is now under some buildings.

Last edited by Andrew Gunnell; 5 Apr 2005 at 12:21.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1270827)   #10
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is of any help - Last time I visited the Museum, there was a display of pre-war photographs including the original layout as used by Motorcycles.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1270927)   #11
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,when I first went to Donington in 1977,the old track from Redgate to Coppice was the spectator footpath.Most of the rest is the access road from the museum to the paddock.I never explored what is between the present Melbourne Hairpin,and the 1/2mile loop that is where the old Melbourne was.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1270936)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's an outer paddock with a retaining wall separating it from the market
Old 5 Apr 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1270948)   #13
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure part of the old Melbourne loop used to be an access road into the circuit.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 01:07 (Ref:1271382)   #14
Kvadrat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gunnell
Kvadrat have you looked at Shelsley Walsh, which is a hill climb near Worcester. The hill is celebrating its centaury this year and in the 1930s had drivers like Mays and Stuck going up it.
Paul thank you it would be interesting, because I think today part of the old track is now under some buildings.
It's also very interesting venue. In fact, I don't even have course map and statistics, but hope to get them some day.