Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Apr 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1268113)   #1
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington Meal Tickets

Thanks to the BRSCC for the meal ticket today I managed to use mine but the other 7 on post with me did not get to use there's. Is there a way we could use them without going to REDGATE or THE PITSTOP?
Old 2 Apr 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1268117)   #2
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't they take them at the "hotdog" stall in the infield above the Spitfire, or at the one at the bottom of the Melbourne Loop?

Or even the one that parks just after redgate?

Last edited by Alex Hodgkinson; 2 Apr 2005 at 20:05.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1268129)   #3
Stevespurr
Veteran

No only REDGATE and PITSTOP
Old 3 Apr 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1269053)   #4
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to see what is said after today :-)
Old 3 Apr 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1269083)   #5
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevespurr
Thanks to the BRSCC for the meal ticket today I managed to use mine but the other 7 on post with me did not get to use there's. Is there a way we could use them without going to REDGATE or THE PITSTOP?
I find this absolutely and utterly AMAZING!

EIGHT people on ONE post at Donington!
Old 3 Apr 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1269096)   #6
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meal ticket?! wots one of them then?
Old 3 Apr 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1269269)   #7
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there today and was not any to use my ticket. So I have two ideas:
1. The ticket can be used at all the food stalls at the circuit.
or
2. A date is not printed on the ticket, so the ticket can be used at any time. But only one ticket can be used at a time.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1269273)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No 2 sound like the best idea. If you don't get sufficient break to get to somewhere that uses it it can go towards breakfast next time, and it might just encourage a next time?
Old 3 Apr 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1269322)   #9
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My suggestion was that if a date had to be put on the tickets, put it for the weekend rather than just the day. At least then if you don't use the tickt on Saturday you can put it towards breakfast on the Sunday. And of course open the ticket use up to all the catering outlets (not much good if you're up at Copse/Mcleans and get a 20min break).

The other thought is, if you're giving lunch vouchers - guarantee a sensible lunch break!!!

And the other other thought is, what was wrong with the marshals draw? Everyone at the moment potentially costs BRSCC £4 a day with redeemed vouchers. As a guide 100 marshals = £400 potential cost. What's wrong with 1x£25 10x£10, 20x£5, cost = £225.
(To which I guess the answer is overfill the programme so the lunch break is lost, apologies all round, try better next time, etc. No-one uses the vouchers, so cost =£0. Cynical, moi?)

Al.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1269622)   #10
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My ticket had a date on it.Not enough time to go for breakfast and no lunch break so
my friend managed to change it into 2 cans of beer in Redgate bar.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1269737)   #11
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lucky you, none of us at the chicane did. Had we been able to use it at the buger / donut stand that was parked not 30 secs walk from us we might have found it useful, but with no break from 9am to 6pm we just ate what pieces of packed lunch we could in between races. The idea is a very good one, it just needs some tweeking to allow us to take advantage of it.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1269877)   #12
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As two people on our post won in the raffle on Sunday, I think the BRSCC must have realised during Sunday morning that people would not be able to spend the vouchers and re-instated the raffle for the day.

The vouchers are useful at Mallory, as you always get a lunch break and have time to spend them in the centre or use them in the bar after the meeting.

I think the problem with Donington is that the sign-on is so far away from the Paddock and without lunch breaks you cannot spend the vouchers. Also most people tend not to go to Regate Lodge after the meeting, as you normally want to get away and it is to much hassle to get back to the lodge.

I suppose at least the BRSCC have come up with an idea. However, after talking to most marshals I know that they would prefer to be given £4.00 in cash to put towards petrol.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1269885)   #13
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having a day off from marshalling I decided to watch the F3/GT's at Donington a circuit I refuse to marshal at due to late finishes and little or no lunch breaks, from what I could see yesterday was no expection with regards to lunch. Yes I do understand why there were delays during the morning, however there was (as far as I could see) sometimee undue delays in getting the cars out. Lunch vouchers although surely welcome are as useful as a chocolate teapot when there is no lunch break to use them in. To be honest I saw nothing that would make me rush break to marshal at Donington, sorry guys- Balders
Old 4 Apr 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1269992)   #14
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gimme four pound notes - universal lunch vouchers - redeemable anywhere, anytime.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1270072)   #15
Stevespurr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
I find this absolutely and utterly AMAZING!

EIGHT people on ONE post at Donington!
We had 9 on post 17 yesterday 4 of them won prizes no one used there meal tickets.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1270178)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with M.Greenslade, I avoided Donny & went to a bike meeting @ Mallory. Signed on @ 8am got a serious hamperfull of grub from the Chief Marshal, had 22 races & it was over by 5-30. Oh yeah, had shed loads to do as well. Sorry it will take a lot more than a meal ticket to get me to Donny, near as it is!
Old 4 Apr 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1270203)   #17
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, didn't realise about the raffle on Sunday - wasn't feeling 100% (certainly not fit to marshal) so had to send apologies from the campsite for Sunday.

Al.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 21:55 (Ref:1270276)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In fact, when I started marshalling at Donington something-teen years ago, we always had vouchers for Redgate and Starkeys, and even then it was difficult to use them. Lunches have become even scarcer since then, so re-instating them is not terribly helpful, even if I do applaud the thought.

numbersix, can you still spend pound notes? They went out round here years ago! I do agree, though, far easier for all. Goes towards your petrol if you've already sorted lunch. Or your beer if you've already sorted petrol...
Old 5 Apr 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1270931)   #19
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our Observer had a friend who took his and her vouchers (and another marshal's) to Pitstop, bought burger and chips, and brought them back to post wrapped in tin foil. Next time I'll suggest that to everyone and volunteer someone to do the "burger run".
Alternately, go to Redgate after the meeting and let the traffic go (for those who complain of the late finish, we actually finished earlier than most Oulton meetings!). Just a cautionary note, £4 gets you a pint of lager and two packets of crisps!
To BRSCC, thanks for the thought. Even if there are problems the effort is appreciated.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1271157)   #20
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those interested, the VW Championship has a great website with loads of info on it, including a write up and pictures from the races at Donington. It includes some great shots of the race 2 finish where things went a little "pete tong" for Craig Inskip, even tho he still won!

http://www.vw-cup.co.uk/news.htm
Old 5 Apr 2005, 21:06 (Ref:1271258)   #21
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
...numbersix, can you still spend pound notes? They went out round here years ago! I do agree, though, far easier for all. Goes towards your petrol if you've already sorted lunch. Or your beer if you've already sorted petrol...
Waddyamean? What about this ten bob note I've been saving for a rainy day...?
Old 6 Apr 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1271886)   #22
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Six of us on post7 and we didn't realise there was a raffle as well as the meal voucher. Knowing how much food costs at a race circuit i brought my usual amount of packed food and put two vouchers to good use in Redgate (Pint of bitter, pint of lemonade and 6 packs of crisps) Personally if i had the choice, i would rather have the the £4 as cash to pay for a bit of the petrol that i use to get to the circuit. Failing that, reinstate the raffle with decent cash prizes.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 9 Apr 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1274101)   #23
Don Truman
Rookie

Don Truman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money for marshals is very difficult for the club. Somebody has to get it and more importantly keep it safe from robbing "whatsits".
But if a large majority prefer money let us know and we will try to get it organized.
BUT you must tell us!!!
Don Truman BRSCC
Old 9 Apr 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1274253)   #24
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, if you are going to give us £4, either as a voucher (which not everyone managed to spend) or as cash, I would rather have it as cash. That way i could spend it as required (fast food, pint in redgate or 4.8 litres of unleaded!) Or as i said in last reply, just reinstate a raffle with more prizes of £20 or £10.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 9 Apr 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1274258)   #25
Stevespurr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Truman
Money for marshals is very difficult for the club. Somebody has to get it and more importantly keep it safe from robbing "whatsits".
But if a large majority prefer money let us know and we will try to get it organized.
BUT you must tell us!!!
Don Truman BRSCC

Don I dont think it is a money issue but one of a working time table where we do get a break and can get away from the post. The meal tickets are a good idea but we need to have more places we can use them and time to wait in queues. As at places like Donington when you are over the far side of the circuit Coppice, McLeans it is impossible to get back to the pits/paddock area and queue up for food and get back to post on time.

I was on post 38 on the Saturday I managed to get to the Pitstop Dinner I got some food and was late back on post not having eaten my food. Luckely I was with a understanding Observer and on that day I was Traning Flags with another Marshal, who covered for me. On the Sunday I was on Post 17 and even if we had got a lunch break of the same time scale as the Saturday it would have been impractable to attempt the same as Saturday.

It was very thoughtful of the BRSCC to think of us and issue the meal tickets but unfortunately it did not work for me for both days.

Thank you for trying Steve Spurr Snr.