Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 1 May 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1291206)   #1
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mono at Silverstone 30th April

Can anyone tell me what happened, who won etc.
Old 1 May 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1291223)   #2
Arty B
Racer

England
England
Arty B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart
Can anyone tell me what happened, who won etc.
Mono 2000.

Qualifying & Result. Dawe, Roberts, Mark Harrison
Old 2 May 2005, 09:26 (Ref:1291399)   #3
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My man got his best result ever finishing second but as he was capable of winning was quite disapointed. Well done to Dawe though, he did what any good driver should do and stick at it.
Old 2 May 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1291452)   #4
Arty B
Racer

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmot
My man got his best result ever finishing second but as he was capable of winning was quite disapointed. Well done to Dawe though, he did what any good driver should do and stick at it.
He certainly found some pace between the two weekends!
Old 2 May 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1291457)   #5
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Last weekend was a disaster though, we should have done another test day so that we could have found the problems with the spare engine and made the new data system work fully before the weekend.
Old 2 May 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1291496)   #6
Phil 15
Rookie

New Zealand
Pomgolia :(
Phil 15 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched John on friday from various corners on the track and I have a theory on why he was faster on the national then he was on the GP circuit.

The F4 brakes more efficiantly than the F3 cars, this is supported by comments from both Jonathan and Chris Lewis and makes sence when you consider the types of car. As the National circuit is all about speed through Copse where all the top drivers are taking at similar speed and comitment then the only other place to make up is under braking for Beckets and Brooklands. When I was watching John on practise he was braking later and more efficiantly at Beckets than any other car that tested on friday.

My presumption therefore is that John will do well at the shorter tracks like Silverstone Nat and Angelsey and less well compared to the F3's at places like Donington and Spa.

I would like to stress this is not a comment on Johns driving but on the strength of his car at some circuits.

Phil
Old 2 May 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1291610)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think you are right Phil, but I think the braking efficiency is something that John is improving himself. The F3 cars do have an advantage with the fast carners and straightline speed. I think the actual braking efficiency should be the same but the F4 gives the driver a much better feeling and therefore more control of the initial and trail braking.
Old 3 May 2005, 07:38 (Ref:1291803)   #8
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 15
As the National circuit is all about speed through Copse
Eh?
Old 3 May 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1291836)   #9
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spare engines? Test days? Data system not working correctly costing a race? Times have changed since I last raced in Mono.
I was wondering about the speed through Copse theory as well John. Surely there are three straights, each with its speed governed by the exit speed from the previous corner. That being the case Copse only influences roughly one third of the whole lap, and in reality less than that when braking and corner entry speeds are taken into account.
Old 3 May 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1291855)   #10
Phil 15
Rookie

New Zealand
Times need to change in mono...there is a whole new breed of people born post 1960 that have discovered there are more cars to race than FVL and Ralts.. still no one in the club has yet heard of Aluminium or sequential shifters

My misquoted point about the national circuit is that Copse is the only corner where comitment counts which like it or not seperates the men from the boys. If you stand on the pitwall you can hear who lifts/brakes and when the power is re-applied..and cutting through the cr@p we all know that there are big variances within the mono grid on how copse is taken.

Becketts is about braking and mid corner speed (not entry speed) but doesnt require the comitment that Copse does and so the variance over the grid is smaller..with the exception of John Roberts who stood out at this corner and was the topic of my thread.

Luffield isnt about comitment, its about slip angles and controlling understear, I dont think anyone would think waiting to put the power down requires much bravery.
Old 3 May 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1291889)   #11
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 15
Becketts is about braking and mid corner speed
Becketts and Luffield are surely easily the most important corners on the circuit with EXIT speed being the only thing that matters in any way?
Old 3 May 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1291965)   #12
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
I thought we were talking about the difference between the F3 cars and the F4. On a small circuit like this where there are basically 3 corners all of them are most important. If you mess up copse then you will not get the time back. You have to be lit the whole way round and to get the very best times you have to keep it up and get a flow for about 3-4 laps. Like Brands
Old 3 May 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1292013)   #13
Phil 15
Rookie

New Zealand
John,

It was Bob who said 'entry speed' was the factor to consider.

Surely 'exit speed' is determined by your mid corner speed... unless you John, go against traditional driving techniques and attempt to be 'fast in/slow out'.

Hint hint... brake, turn in, go!

Mack is right, this was a thread about F4 vrs F3 and how John's car was out performing the F3's at Beckets. My intention was to have an adult discussion but if a couple of you 'veterans' want to use this as an arena for petty insults Im ok with that

Phil
Old 3 May 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1292018)   #14
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can't be bothered with insults, count me out, I'll go back where I came from.
Old 3 May 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1292034)   #15
JohnMiller
Veteran

I'm not up for insults these days either!

The thread was actually about the race results from the PMC meeting (not F4 vs F3), and moved on as so many threads do...

I can't find where Bob said entry speed was important.

I do know that high mid-corner (apex) speed does not correlate all that often with high exit speed but will leave it there.
Old 3 May 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1292066)   #16
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
We dont teach any drivers to be fast in/slow out or vice versa we teach them how to drive properly
Old 3 May 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1292249)   #17
Phil 15
Rookie

New Zealand
I dont think Nemesis give a toss about technique or how to drive properly... I think the point Jeremy would like to impress upon me and my team mates is just be the first accross the line when that black and white chequred flag gets waved

My original posting in this thread was designed to be productive and moved regretably on to a slagging match.

I think John drove a great race on Saturday and should be congratulated for his speed and comitment. Im looking forward to a time when he can write the same about me

See you at Oulton
Old 4 May 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1292997)   #18
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I notice on race cars direct that Alan Everett is wanting a new chassis - did he damage his old RT3 ?
Old 7 May 2005, 06:09 (Ref:1294890)   #19
Arty B
Racer

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart
I notice on race cars direct that Alan Everett is wanting a new chassis - did he damage his old RT3 ?
Claims it is sold as roller.