Old 27 Jun 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1341366)   #1
GarrettMacD
Rookie

Ireland
Lovely (?) Leicester
GarrettMacD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon Hill, "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car", etc

Did anyone watch Top Gear last night?

They had Damon Hill doing the "Star in a reasonably Priced Car" thing, where he drove around the circuit in a Suzuki Liana.

Now, fair enough, he has set the fastest time yet shown on the programme, but he was a mighty 0.6 seconds ahead of Jimmy Carr, a comedian (unfunny comedian at that) with no race experience whatsoever.

Am I alone in thinking that an ex-F1 champ should have been at least 2 or 3 seconds quicker??? Particularly bearing in mind that it's not too short a lap (1min 46sec), surely he should have gone a bit quicker than that???

Interesting to note that in the same programme Gabrielle Tarquini lapped Varano 4 seconds quicker than Richard Hammon in the same Maserati coupe. That, I think, is more like the kind of gap Hill should have been able to pull out???
Old 27 Jun 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1341381)   #2
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Mmm, not really one for Trackside - I'll move it to Armchair. I know it's not a video per-se, but Top Gear has been discussed there in the past, and if I stick it in Parc Ferme you can't join in with the discussion!
Old 27 Jun 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1341383)   #3
GarrettMacD
Rookie

Ireland
Lovely (?) Leicester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
Mmm, not really one for Trackside - I'll move it to Armchair. I know it's not a video per-se, but Top Gear has been discussed there in the past, and if I stick it in Parc Ferme you can't join in with the discussion!

Thanks, wasn't sure where this would go, even considered putting it in the F1 forum at one point...
Old 27 Jun 2005, 20:01 (Ref:1341391)   #4
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he even said he wasnt tryin, i think he if we were to see him go all out yes he would have been 4 seconds or so faster ...... But you also have to take into acound Tarquini is paid to drive those cars fast, damon hill well he has a car driving service or something.
Old 27 Jun 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1341411)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Apart from the trans-Europe Gumball Rally jolly Hill hasn't done anything competitive since hew left F1. I sure given a bit more testing and the right motivation he could have been quicker but I got the feeling he wasn't that bothered. Think of it like getting pole. There's nothing to be gained by being 2 or 3 seconds quicker, just do enough to be quickest without taking too many risks.

Tarquini on the other hand is still racing and still winning. As Maserati's test driver he should know the car like the back of his hand and he's on a track he's familiar with. Hamster didn't know the car or the track. I'd be surprised if Tarquini wasn't 4 secs a lap quicker.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 06:30 (Ref:1341683)   #6
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't assume...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettMacD
Am I alone in thinking that an ex-F1 champ should have been at least 2 or 3 seconds quicker???
I think you may be underestimating the comics abilities....some of the comics I have seen need to be fast drivers to get away after a gig.....they are that bad
Old 28 Jun 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1341952)   #7
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You must also remember that the car isnt all that fast. Think its only a 1.6 or 1.4 engine
Old 28 Jun 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1342088)   #8
GarrettMacD
Rookie

Ireland
Lovely (?) Leicester
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner
You must also remember that the car isnt all that fast. Think its only a 1.6 or 1.4 engine

Which is EXACTLY why I think an ex-F1 champ should have been able to make a difference, especially in the faster corners.

I remember being at a trackday a few years ago, watching a Metro 16v tearing up the place, with 2 passengers on board, a lot quicker than the other hot hatches etc present. Turns out is was driven by a BTCC driver. The point I'm trying to make is that in a slower car, the driver should be able to make more of a difference, not less...

Just my 2p worth though!
Old 28 Jun 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1342150)   #9
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes he could have done alot better, but unlike other drivers of his age he isnt in racing anymore, i mean johnny herbert, jean alesi, and others who driven against Hill are still racing albiet in other formulas !
Old 29 Jun 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1342592)   #10
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must I thought that Damon was "a good sport" just to take part - he plainly wasn't taking it seriously but why should he. Knowing Top Gear, I wouldn't mind betting that there was someting fixed about it alll anyway (in the name of entertainment - they have done it before). In contrast, 2 or 3 years ago Toyota put Da Matta & an Autocar journalist in identical Celicas at the British GP - Da Matta was 22 secs (I think) faster than the journo around the 3.2 mile Silverstone GP circuit!!
Old 29 Jun 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1342594)   #11
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
but silverstone has alot of corner that need precision steering, braking at the perfect time. as the top gear track is alot easier for "less skilled" drivers.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1343222)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Hey look at the end of the day they (F1 drivers) are only human and I personally cound not get anywhere near their pace in an F1 car because a) I could not fit in it and b) I am nowhere near fit enough but the common denominator is bought down to earth with that little Suzuki thing where fitness etc. don't come into it, I reckon any good club saloon driver would get the car around in a very reasonable time, probably faster than an F1 driver as he would be more used to that driving style and at the end of the day it will only go as fast as it will go, there will be a limit even if the mighty Shuey was behind the wheel.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1343224)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought it impressive he was quickest at all! Even more so that it was such a big margin. There are a lot of people who have driven that car around that track. It would have been impossible for Damon to be 2-3 seconds quicker than all of them. That is the way to view it really. Comparing him to Jimmy Carr in isolation does not give a representative view. There were many people who had a go and you are comparing it to the fastest one of those. Damon was much more than 3s quicker than most!
Old 29 Jun 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1343314)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I also admire Damon for putting his neck on the line and having a go, it could have all gone pear-shaped very easily and left him with egg on his face, I wonder if any other F1 drivers current or past will have the bottle to except Clarkson's challenge?
Old 29 Jun 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1343358)   #15
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair, surely it's entirely possible that there isn't really that much speed left to be irked out of the poor little Suzuki and Jimmy Carr's lap was indeed something special aswell?
Old 29 Jun 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1343370)   #16
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i didn't see it, but i think full marks to damon for even giving it a go, he had nothing to gain but could of easily looked bad
Old 29 Jun 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1343371)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is clear that Carr's lap was pretty good as he was the fastest of the people who'd already had a go.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1343756)   #18
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettMacD
Which is EXACTLY why I think an ex-F1 champ should have been able to make a difference, especially in the faster corners.

I remember being at a trackday a few years ago, watching a Metro 16v tearing up the place, with 2 passengers on board, a lot quicker than the other hot hatches etc present. Turns out is was driven by a BTCC driver. The point I'm trying to make is that in a slower car, the driver should be able to make more of a difference, not less...

Just my 2p worth though!
I don't agree. The faster the car and the more performance it has, the less likely the average driver is going to be able to get anywhere near the limit of the car. A slower car will give the average more time to pick a half-decent line, not have too many scarey moments, and will allow them to push harder because they know it won't bite them too hard.

As others have said, that car is also nowhere near the sort that Damon used to race, though it's true that true racers can turn their hand to anything. Schuey was slower than Tarquini when he tested an Alfa touring car a couple of season ago, which is what I'd expect given that Gabriele races them all the time. It doesn't make Tarquini a better driver overall.

I think Damon was a great sport to appear on the show and open himself up to potential embarrassment - well done Damon!
Old 30 Jun 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1344199)   #19
IL LEONE
Racer

United Kingdom
London
IL LEONE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the many that put this down to the limits and easiability (no such word I know!) of the car.

Now, lets stick the list in an F1 car and see what the time difference is, I guess Jimmy Carr might just stall a few times before exiting the pitts as would many others.
I would like to see McRae do this challenge and I reckon even himself would not get a 3 or 4 second improvement.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 21:55 (Ref:1344269)   #20
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good idea about sticking colin mcrae in the car, although top gear would be lucky if they got the car back in the same condition as when they gave it to him.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1344270)   #21
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
lol cmon he didnt crash that much, if i was a team manager id have him over many other rally drivers cuz id know he is going to give 100% and more, unlike some.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 04:52 (Ref:1344419)   #22
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've asked Top Gear if I can have a go using my "reasonably priced car" My standard Vauxhall Belmont............ haven't had an answer yet..... wanna do it for chaaaarity.

Support Your Local Air Ambulance - they need your help!

Thames Valley & Chiltern Air Ambulance
East Anglian Air Ambulance

Rob.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 09:10 (Ref:1344522)   #23
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did not seem to be pushing 100% though.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1344940)   #24
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I will look forward to seeing that Racing59 :-)
Old 3 Jul 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1346025)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_sykes
He did not seem to be pushing 100% though.
Damon? What aspects of his lap made you think this?

He has a go in the GP2 car last week too. Apparantely he pushed from the off in that.