Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Jul 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1359538)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jodie Kidd to join the BTCC?

It is reported in today's Motorsport News that Team Dynamics want to Super Model Jodie Kidd into the 3rd Honda Integra for a round of the BTCC later in the year. I think this would be great for the championship and certainly wouldn't do it any harm.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1359578)   #2
Jamie P-E
Racer

Jamie P-E is a back marker
yea yea
Old 20 Jul 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1359596)   #3
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie P-E
yea yea
What the hells that supposed to mean? If you are going to contribute - do so in a way that is comprehendable.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1359609)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A good publicity stunt, but I highly doubt her competitiveness.

Put someone worthwhile in that seat!
Old 20 Jul 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1359680)   #5
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm judging by how that Maserati went backwards after she took over from Johnny Herbert after his superb drive at Silverstone, I doubt its a good idea.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1359699)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Put her in front of the car, by all means, but let's have a racing driver in it.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 22:31 (Ref:1359712)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Put her in front of the car, by all means, but let's have a racing driver in it.
A little harsh there!
Old 21 Jul 2005, 07:13 (Ref:1359881)   #8
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think she has only done 4 motor races to date so perhaps not yet ready for BTCC? Anyone know how she qualified for the Maserati Trofeo when her only previous known sporting experience was on a horse?
Old 21 Jul 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1360020)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If she's only done 4 races is there any way she could be eligible for a BTCC drive licence wise?
Old 21 Jul 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1360032)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It depends on what grade licence you need to do BTCC. I thought it would have to be a National A licence, but stand to be corrected. Where's Mr Gow when you need him?
Old 21 Jul 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1360042)   #11
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think its fair on her to let her out in a BTCC car, she will look stupid and no one will take her seriously. If she does really want to be a racing driver she needs to go with a good junior team who will actually help her and train her and if she listens and takes it in she will get good enough to race at that level.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 12:16 (Ref:1360045)   #12
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the page opposite to that article Steve Neal is threatning to pull out of the BTCC in favour of the WTCC if driving standards don't improve. It's all PR and I don't expect either will happen.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1360047)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jodie Kidd running last would get the team and the championship more publicity than Gareth Howell running 1st in the same car, so you can udnerstand why they're considering it.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1360085)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a sad state, though. here we are with not enough cars for what is supposed to be one of Britain's premier series, and they're talking about adding another car with probably an uncompetitive driver, when all the time there are quality experienced drivers without a seat. And then they tell us it's 'good for the series'. It's not. It's a travesty. BTCC came to the fore because of lots of cometitve drivers and it needs a return to that, not a publicity stunt.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1360461)   #15
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have nothing against Miss Kidd, but i feel that putting her in a front running team in the BTCC will only harm the credibility of the series.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1360465)   #16
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get me sarted on this...

I posted a thread a while back during the BGP weekend following her TV interview, read:

"Good on Jodie for competing in this series.

What I couldn't really comprehend was a comment when interviewed on ITV as part of the qualifying show on Saturday.

She had a very good partner in Johnny Herbert but I couldn't beleive the fact that she stated she had never been round the circuit. Surely when spending decent money on a high profile series such as the Maserati Trofeo one would have at least been on a track day for example (using Johnny) to learn the lines and have a "tutor" session."

It is Team Dynamics and her progative whether they do business together but when talented drivers spend a lot of time, effort and recources chasing drives then this make me a little ....well annoyed. How can we take the BTCC seriously? or as stated before is it PR working with us reacting to this. I think Matt Neal & Dan Eaves plus the team have done a very good job on PR this year.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 06:13 (Ref:1360574)   #17
JLD
Racer

JLD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much as I think that the presence of Miss Kidd would do the BTCC a lot of good from a publicity perspective, she would not be competative (yet).

How about one of the support races instead, still gets the publicity for the meeting.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 07:00 (Ref:1360587)   #18
DriversKnow
Racer

European Union
Staffordshire
DriversKnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vicky Butler Henderson should do it......she can drive, with several top 6 Ginetta finishes
Old 22 Jul 2005, 07:05 (Ref:1360588)   #19
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I have nothing against Miss Kidd, but i feel that putting her in a front running team in the BTCC will only harm the credibility of the series.
And grids of 12 means the current series HAS credibility?
Old 22 Jul 2005, 08:00 (Ref:1360622)   #20
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jodie Kidd has as much right to race in the BTCC as Fionna Leggatte.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1360636)   #21
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoutsider
Please explain this theory. And you could at least spell Fiona's name properly.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 08:30 (Ref:1360638)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sorry but there is no way Jodie has the same skill level as Fiona. Fiona has been a racer for some years and with some degree of sucess, whilst Jodie has done very little racing. If you look at their resepective results, they speak for themselves. However, this thread is not about Fiona but about the possibility of Jodie Marsh appearing in the BTCC, so lets get it back on topic please.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1360641)   #23
Hip Priest
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoutsider
You are comparing a celebrity who likes cars to a young racing driver purely on the basis of their gender.

Fiona, like most other young drivers, has had a determined fight to get herself a drive in the BTCC, whereas Steve Neal is preparing to offer Jodie Kidd a drive just because she is celebrity.

Can't see the comparison i'm afraid.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1360642)   #24
Hip Priest
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
However, this thread is not about Fiona but about the possibility of Jodie Marsh appearing in the BTCC, so lets get it back on topic please.
Erm...bit of a freudian slip there Mr Green!

Jodie Marsh and Jodie Kidd are very different types of model
Old 22 Jul 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1360644)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is a pretty sad inditement of the media's current attitude towards female drivers. Danica Patrick lucks her way into 4th place in the 500, despite wrecking 3 cars along the way, and she gets more publicicty than the winning driver, even over here. No team has ever oaught to race a male celebrity in the BTCC, even though figures such as Chris Rea, Maxi Jazz and Shane Lynch have all raced regularly in other championships, yet Dynamics see it as a viable option. It'd still be an extra car on the grid, but there's no way anyone would support them hiring a driver from elsewhere who has only done 4 races of any kind.