Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 22 Jul 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1360811)   #1
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport Mag: Panther Racing eyes switch to Champ Car

Perhaps someone in the UK can pick up this weeks issue. The Autosport website only has a brief quip on the subject:

Quote:
Panther Eye Champ Car Switch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport
The team's sponsor Pennzoil is believed to be keen to make a return to Champ Cars after eight years in the IRL, and senior figures from the outfit are believed to have held talks with Champ Car president Dick Eidswick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Motorsport co-owner Doug Bowles
"We wanted to create a relationship with Kevin (Kalkhoven) and Gerry (Forsythe) since we're carrying their flag in the IRL with the Cosworth."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Motorsport co-owner Doug Bowles
"Some of the potential sponsors we've been talking to also wanted us to look at both series."
It would be great to see an elite team like Panther come to the series, especially if they bring Tomas Schekter or Tomas Enge along with them.

I think the most interesting comment in the article was that Pennzoil would be keen to return to Champ Car. Apart from McDonalds and Tide, there are very few consumer products who sponsor cars in the series. Hopefully there are more 'real' sponsors interested in the series.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1360819)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow I didn't see that happening!

I suppose it makes sense. Take away the GM funding and they probably don't have enough to survive. Assume for a minuite that CC and IRL are of equal value to a sponsor. Now factor in that the series will basically insure that if funding isn't found that you have enough money to run. That has to be pretty compelling for a team like Panther.

A little more info for those of us who don't have autosport subscriptions: http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/18347/
Old 22 Jul 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1360847)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Snrub:
Wow I didn't see that happening!
Nobody did! This is great news, another team and a good one at that!
Old 22 Jul 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1360860)   #4
mwrmt
Rookie

Canada
BC, Canada
mwrmt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would CC not be a better marketing tool for Pennzoil-Quaker State for their international/worldwide products and recognition?

Either way, it'd be nice to see Pennzoil in CC.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1360870)   #5
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what the deal is that had Roshfrans become "Official Lubricant of CCWS" and whether it would limit what sponsorship Penzoil could have?
Old 22 Jul 2005, 16:01 (Ref:1360906)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Roshfrans involvement would necessarly mean that Penzoil would stay away from CC. At least for certain venues there are sometimes multiple official suppliers of the same kind. I'm sure one sticking point would be that Penzoil wouldn't want a Roshfrans sticker on the nose of their car like on all of the others.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1360916)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
This article is a few days old now, but it makes me question whether-or-not Pennzoil wants to be in the IRL at all. Maybe just a one-off at Indy?

Quote:
(Panther) doesn't have a primary sponsor or an engine partner lined up for 2006.

Barnes confirmed a recent meeting with Champ Car World Series officials about joining that series. Members of his organization also have spoken with officials from NASCAR and the Grand American Road Racing series, he said.

"We're in the racing business," Barnes said of the talks. "But the main goal of every owner at Panther Racing is to win the Indy 500, if that gives you any idea (of the team's direction)."
Old 22 Jul 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1360928)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting rumour. Would be good to see them cross the divide with a driver like Enge or Scheckter.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1360933)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autosport says Panther could run cars in both ChampCar and IndyCar.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1360969)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is a great move for panther but I cant remember [/I]autosport[I] saying anytin about running cars in CCWS and IRLICS.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1360978)   #11
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They'll probably run a full season in Champ Cars, then have a couple of IRL-spec cars specifically for Indy.

Wow - this is kind of surreal. The IRL is facing issues that Champ Car had to deal with only a couple of years ago. Defecting teams, engine manufacturers leaving - it never ceases to amaze me how history repeats itself.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1360990)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
They'll probably run a full season in Champ Cars, then have a couple of IRL-spec cars specifically for Indy.
Exactly, as I don't believe they have enough funding or infrastructure to run in both series full time.

Once you take away the chevy free motors and cash, strangely the exact amount Panther gets from Pennzoil is just enough to run 2 champcars for a year.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1360998)   #13
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll believe this when I see it. It may well be an attempt to squeeze some $ out of Tony George.

I hope they come to ChampCar but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1361000)   #14
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Once you take away the chevy free motors and cash, strangely the exact amount Panther gets from Pennzoil is just enough to run 2 champcars for a year.
Really? How is this possible? I'm not trying to be negative or anything, but I was wondering where you got those figures from :-)
Old 22 Jul 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1361026)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Really? How is this possible? I'm not trying to be negative or anything, but I was wondering where you got those figures from :-)
Autosport earlier this year.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1361032)   #16
jv#12
Rookie

jv#12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was just on the panther raacing website's forum. there are some very unhappy people there.i hope this turns out to be true, and not just trying to scare tony george.

Last edited by macdaddy; 23 Jul 2005 at 01:34.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1361049)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pantehr have to look at all their options, and if Pennzoil insist on doing ChampCars, Panther would be taking a big gamble not to go with them, as they would have no guarantee of finding the right sponsor/engine package without them. It's still early days, but it would add up.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1361070)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sincetely have no idea whether it would happen or not, but a) Panther Racing would be a good addition and b) It would be significative to have a two-time IRL champion team having to leave for the "rival" series.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 01:34 (Ref:1361148)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really hope they do make the move. I have enjoyed watching them race over the years and would love to see them in the CCWS. Even just to see their cars, as the yellow or even silver Pennzoil miachines areq uite stunning.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 03:22 (Ref:1361168)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Slightly off-topic, but those bright-yellow Pennzoil cars will always remind me of Jim Hall. There's just no getting around that. And Penske before that. Pennzoil has long-been a supporter of OW racing in America.

Last edited by macdaddy; 23 Jul 2005 at 04:51.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1361255)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well it would be great for CC to have them onboard.

they are a quality team in anyones terms and any series would and should try to persued them to drive in it.

Im in two minds really , i'd love to see them in CC because I think they would be great but I'd also love to see them stay where they are because they do a great job there.

time will tell i guess.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 06:25 (Ref:1361841)   #22
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Having Tomas Shecketer in Champ Car would be great. He would be one hell of an addition, and maybe give everyone a run for their money?
Old 24 Jul 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1362280)   #23
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Having Tomas Scheckter in Champ Car would be great. He would be one hell of an addition, and maybe give everyone a run for their money?
I think it would be a great idea if Panther Racing moved to Champ Car, but what has Scheckter done in his career so far that makes you think he might give PT, Seb, Junky, Wilson, CdM, Allmendinger a challenge ?
Old 24 Jul 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1362405)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The word I'm hearing is that Panther may be doing both, one, or even going to Grand Am...

They are focused on the tasks at hand right now, and will make their announcement in September...

They are exploring all options...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 25 Jul 2005, 05:20 (Ref:1362518)   #25
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov
I think it would be a great idea if Panther Racing moved to Champ Car, but what has Scheckter done in his career so far that makes you think he might give PT, Seb, Junky, Wilson, CdM, Allmendinger a challenge ?
I never said that Sheckter was champion material. But he is exciting to watch.