Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jul 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1365806)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Report: McLaren, Renault to Bridgestone

Today's Autosport magazine reports McLaren, Renault, Williams and Toyota are likely to be on Bridgestones next year.

Interesting development.

Apparently the theory is that with the end of one-lap qualifying, the biggest Bridgestone disadvantage will be overcome.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1365815)   #2
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I also read over at Gazzetta that 5 Michelin teams in total are negotiating with BS. So add Red Bull and...??? to that list.

Maybe they should have taken a look at Schummi's tyres at the end of last weekend, and the general lack of race pace...
Old 28 Jul 2005, 18:30 (Ref:1365826)   #3
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This makes no sense to me. Renault and McLaren throw away their biggest competitive edge to Ferrari.

As a Schumi fan, I'd be very happy to see this.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1365827)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think what we may be looking at here is a scenario whereby a control tyre will be avoided to the mutual benefit of Bridgestone and Michelin.No doubt the FIA have had a hand in it as well.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1365828)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But last year Bridgestone had better tyres than Michelin.

Things don't stay still in F1.

This possibly has a lot to do with Indianapolis.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1365830)   #6
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's interesting, even if they sign now, I doubt they'll get tyre data from BS until after the season's over.

By then they'll be behind the 8 ball if they start doing the suspension then.

Designing suspension before settling on the tires would be going ass-backwards.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1365837)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some sort of construction regulations brought in for tyres.The cars and engines have them,why not tyres.At least that way we can be guaranteed a safe tyre.Slightly off topic there,sorry.

A 50/50 split next season with limited testing for all teams would be good to see IMO.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1365866)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The chances of Michael winning the 2006 title have surely increased now. I can only wonder what is going on behidn the scenes for this to unfold.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1365978)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
What is the "certainty" factor of the report you refer to KB?
Old 28 Jul 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1366046)   #10
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why on earth would they do this. Michelin clearly have a big advantage over Bridgestone, im sure its been said already but look at Schumi's tyres at the end of the last race and throughout the season so far. Seems a bit of a no-brainer to me IMO
Old 28 Jul 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1366070)   #11
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pure speculation here, but maybe this relates to the us gp fiasco and some of the teams not having total confidence in michelin in a similar situation.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1366074)   #12
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I cant see that one event such as that could make teams want to sacrifice pace in order to race at Indy. Im sure that that wont happen again and the fact remains that the french is the better of the two manufactures
Old 28 Jul 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1366077)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I was wondering whether it means they have been told/have deep suspicions that Michelin are going to leave at the end of the year.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 23:06 (Ref:1366182)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Button (should he stay) amd BAR for World Champions in 2006 then?
Old 28 Jul 2005, 23:08 (Ref:1366184)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
In the case of Toyota, at least, there is more at stake than merely changing tyre supplier for F1. There are hints about a wholesale alliance between Toyota and Bridgestone for road-car supply.

I think we'll see another 'big' team on Bridgestones next year, maybe more than that. If I had to guess, I'd say Williams and Toyota.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 00:25 (Ref:1366218)   #16
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
This possibly has a lot to do with Indianapolis.
That's the first thought of mine as well.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 00:35 (Ref:1366223)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
I was wondering whether it means they have been told/have deep suspicions that Michelin are going to leave at the end of the year.
I think they have to give a years notice for that to happen.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 01:00 (Ref:1366233)   #18
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It`s still just a rumour.

But if true. It could be DC`s year.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 01:07 (Ref:1366234)   #19
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if these teams are switching to Bridgestone just so they are on the same tyre as Ferrari, so they will not run the risk of losing a title to the Scudeia because they were on the 'wrong' tyre again.

The last two championships (and probably this one too) have been dictated by the performance of a tyre company. I'd imagine that the elite teams would rather perform based on the merits of their car, rather than their performance being dictated by the merit of their tyres.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 03:17 (Ref:1366267)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
I think they have to give a years notice for that to happen.
This is true I believe, but I think the FIA would be willing to make some exception to satisfy their desire for a single tyre company in F1. I wouldn't complain about other big teams joining Bridgestone even one little bit.

However, all just lots of speculation but it would be interesting.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 06:28 (Ref:1366309)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota with BS makes sense, Renault not at all; Williams why not.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 07:07 (Ref:1366322)   #22
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Renault is the only one that doesn;t make sense at all .. especially as they are winning with Michelin now ..

Ciao Marco
Old 29 Jul 2005, 07:10 (Ref:1366326)   #23
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be quite odd if Mclaren and Renault do switch over. Indy is the only reason i can think of...i'm sure they took a grilling from the sponsors for that...

Who knows next year might be BS's year as we saw in 2004...
Old 29 Jul 2005, 07:23 (Ref:1366344)   #24
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting decision for Renault who have always been commercially linked with Michelin.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 07:36 (Ref:1366357)   #25
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this does occur hopefully the testing situation can finally be put to bed...