Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Aug 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1373262)   #1
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sportscar racing's greatest corners

We've had in fairly recent times polls about the best classes, the best cars and the best races at Le Mans - I figured I'd try and create some convo about a different approach. There's a thread going about on the subject of Le Mans in the 80's, it had people in memory lane. With such happy memories fresh in the mind, thought I'd add to the "vibe".

My general theme here is the greatest corners, both past and present, where sportscars really seem to be in their element, weather it be LMP's, GT's or cars of the past. Sometimes there's a way certain types of car take a corner, weather it be faster or slower or in different lines or whatever - for example an F1 car might be great to see at one place because it's mind-bendingly quicker than anything and is as such a spectacle.

So, as a fond memory or as a guide to anyone not in the know - I ask where people get the greatest buzz from any one part of any circuit past or present, where they just drop jaws in awe every single time. I won't create a poll for the best corner, just let imagination run wild and have some free speaking and some happy memories - any comments? This doesn't just have to include Le Mans (at whatever time of day) - although I'm imagining this'll feature pretty highly on everyone's thoughts...?
Old 5 Aug 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1373274)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Eau Rouge has to be up there I guess......

At Le Mans, the old pre-chicane Dunlop Curve
Old 5 Aug 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1373389)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Tetre Rouge is my favourite , especially now . It wasnt so exciting in the old group c days cuz of ground effect's .
Old 5 Aug 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1373400)   #4
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pretty high up on the list has to be the corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Few tracks in america have the rise, drop, rise and quick turn combo like that.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1373401)   #5
almzkid
Rookie

almzkid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
turn 2 at Mosport is by far the most intimidating corner in motorsport. Ask Jackie Stewart.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1373414)   #6
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eau Rouge.

Also Stowe and Club pre-91 sanitisation.

And the Peralta at Mexico City (Acheson had a BIIIGGG one there in 89)
Old 5 Aug 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1373449)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love the Porsche Curves myself. Great place to watch a sportscar show its rythem and grace (although wish I could see it in person). Not to mention if you can't get through there quickly it can really kill the lap time.

And can't leave out Indianapolis.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1373472)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My first thought was the Porsche curves for those reasons too. I love Indianapolis - it is a great place to watch. However the Porsche curves really suit sportscars. It is a sequence of corners that could only really exist on a big circuit like Le Mans.

Other places. Eau Rouge, of course, in many ways more impressive for Sportscars than F1 cars (they just take it easily and boringly flat). Spa is overall a good Sportscar circuit.

Silverstone. Nowadays? Hmm a little too sanitised and open to have that deep rooted sportscar feel, despite its history there.

What we are looking for, I feel, are fast corners, with space to express yourself, but with trees nearby. It has potential to rain too!
Old 5 Aug 2005, 22:59 (Ref:1373476)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Parabolica is my personal favourite, nice fast corner with a possibilty of being able to overtake.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 23:54 (Ref:1373501)   #10
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
All from video or still photos, and legend: Eau Rouge, also Pouhon, both Spa. I also like the La Source hairpin based on photos so tight to the cars and with the glorious scenary in the background. Dunlop corner-pre chicane, and Indianapolis. Hundreds of corners I do not know the name of on the old Targa Florio circuit-every one looks fantastic to have seen, but those ones that had a hillside perch looking down on a tight turn in a town, WOW! Karussell and Pflantzgarten at the 'Ring.

Been there/Done that corners: the old turn one at Sebring. The old Sebring hairpin as the sun is setting. Special favorite place: the entry to Nascar turn three (East Banking), pre-chicane, in the wee hours of very cold night, with 917's and 512's, or later on, Porsche 935's.

robert
Old 6 Aug 2005, 00:23 (Ref:1373508)   #11
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the 100R at fuji before tilke changed it !!
also from Fuji the long straight !!
paddock hill bend brands hatch !!
Old 6 Aug 2005, 02:01 (Ref:1373524)   #12
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of my favorites would be:
Porsche Curves
Turn 1 - Sebring
Eau Rouge - Spa Francorchamps
Turn 2 - Mosport
Turn 8, 8a, 9, 10 complex at Infineon Raceway
Maggotts - Silverstone
Old 6 Aug 2005, 03:52 (Ref:1373537)   #13
vogelmann4
Rookie

vogelmann4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turn 6 at road atlanta. especially at night when you just see head lights weaving down the short shoot and the the blurr as they go by close enough to touch. Madness at Mid-Ohio is also a great combo of turns.
Old 6 Aug 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1373716)   #14
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ones I have been too with the the best car thru ( the one that stick in my memory, not the fastest)
The old esses - Le Mans- Best car thru - Porsche 956
pre-chicane Dunlop Curve - Le mans - Best car thru - Grp C jags
Craner Curves - Donnington - Peugeot 905
Stowe - Silverstone - best car thru - Porsche 935
Paddock Hill - Brands - best car thru - Ford C100

Ones I want to see
Corkscrew - Lagauna
Eau Rouge - Spa
180R - Suzuka
Old 6 Aug 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1373923)   #15
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
by a long way my favourite corner is the exit of tertre rouge where it starts to join the mulsanne straight. having a photo pass i'm lucky enough to be able to stand behind the tyre wall on the outside and get close to it, i wish there was a way others could experience it - the way the cars take it, skipping sideways...scarily awesome.
Old 6 Aug 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1373929)   #16
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice
Old 6 Aug 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1373935)   #17
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karussell
Just nice to watch the cars go round from the inside.
Old 6 Aug 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1374017)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
by a long way my favourite corner is the exit of tertre rouge where it starts to join the mulsanne straight. having a photo pass i'm lucky enough to be able to stand behind the tyre wall on the outside and get close to it, i wish there was a way others could experience it - the way the cars take it, skipping sideways...scarily awesome.

I've been in the second garden down on the outside leaning on the armco...... [1991]

Which I guess is the closest I'll ever get....
Old 7 Aug 2005, 01:31 (Ref:1374070)   #19
jross427
Racer

jross427 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i like the 3 and 3a (why not 4?) at Infineon, dips down for the left then back up and over the hill on the exit of 3a. Also form the Karussell to the big straight is my favorite section of corners
Old 7 Aug 2005, 02:28 (Ref:1374080)   #20
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the early 80s when they raced at the 'ring - The downhill left hander leading towards the straight onto Flugplatz? That corner gives me no end of joy.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 02:30 (Ref:1374082)   #21
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where jermey clackson went off ??
Old 7 Aug 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1374553)   #22
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eau Rouge, period.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1375979)   #23
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eau Rouge, definitely.

Paddock Hill Bend at Brands, too.

On the other hand, there are some bends that spring to mind, which probably aren't challenging, but stick in my mind.

Foremost amongst those are the Esses at Le Mans (the least changed part of the circuit?), Clearways and Graham Hill bend at Brands, the Bus Stop at Spa (yes a chicane!) and the one at the very top of the hill (forget its name) there, too. Stowe at Silverstone, the Donnington Esses (I think they're called the Esses - Downhill towards Old Hairpin) and the right hander after them - Actually, now I think of it, nearly every corner at Donnington except the ones on the loop.

Lots of others, all with special memories. I haven't drive enough circuits to be able to say which are the 'best', but some stick in my mind as great corners simply for their place in my memory snapshots with great cars and moments on them.

Cheers.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 22:34 (Ref:1378533)   #24
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Donington Esses - you'll mean the Craner Curves for that one

Shame I'm not able to add the Mountain chicane at Cadwell to this list... think of the airborn cars as they go over the top of the hill!
Old 10 Aug 2005, 01:41 (Ref:1378596)   #25
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1) Le Mans Mulsanne kink
2) Sebring turn one (during sunset)
3) Road Atlanta turn four