Closed Thread

Old 30 Aug 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1394739)   #1
red5pete
Rookie

England
Devon
red5pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshals sitting down during racing

At Castle Combe yesterday I observed a further reduction in marshalling standards. During several races marshals sat in their deck chairs or on the ground at tower corner, and at Bobbies. Admittedly it was during some of the smaller races, but is this acceptable with this picture in mind.

Old 30 Aug 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1394764)   #2
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by red5pete
At Castle Combe yesterday I observed a further reduction in marshalling standards. During several races marshals sat in their deck chairs or on the ground at tower corner, and at Bobbies. Admittedly it was during some of the smaller races, but is this acceptable with this picture in mind.

The link does not work, but you can get to it from www.fota.co.uk then going gallery and selecting Castle Combe. It's the image of the F3 going on/over the barriers.

Smaller races don't have smaller incidents... Doesn't sound too good to me, but I wasn't there.

I asked a cameraman who was sat behind concrete barrier, but on spare tyre wall at Rockingham on Sunday to stand up or move during racing. You DO NOT have time to move if you're sat down.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1394766)   #3
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would never do it, I must confess though, In the Ferrari race (yep, all 5 cars) when the cars had passed I could sit on the fence for what seemed like hours till they came back round!!

I hate all the sitting down, or the leaving you foldy up chair right where your going to fall over them if you need to run for cover.

You say Further Reduction, what else have you seen??

Lee
Old 30 Aug 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1394778)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
The link does not work,
Depends what browser you're using. With Firefox it opens a 'what should Firefox do with this file?' dialog box. Checking 'open with' & clicking on 'browse' allows you to choose Firefox as a helper application, which will then open it in a new tab. Bizarre, but better than having to resort to Internet Exploder!
Old 30 Aug 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1394792)   #5
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is NEVER acceptable to sit down when cars are on circuit, whether racing, on a slowing down lap or whatever. It is downright dangerous. Neither should a marshal be smoking or eating. I have pointed this out on a couple of occasions this year to those on my post, I may not have been popular, but at least they didn't get hurt! The mini arriving ON the Gooseneck earlier this year proving the point.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1394819)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Depends what browser you're using. With Firefox it opens a 'what should Firefox do with this file?' dialog box. Checking 'open with' & clicking on 'browse' allows you to choose Firefox as a helper application, which will then open it in a new tab. Bizarre, but better than having to resort to Internet Exploder!
Hmm. Another dead horse being given a canter. As usual IE works just fine for me. Opens the link just as advertised.

Why change from the market leader when it works just fine? (Turns out light and looks for hiding place. )

Regards

Jim
Old 30 Aug 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1394841)   #7
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceswan
It is NEVER acceptable to sit down when cars are on circuit, whether racing, on a slowing down lap or whatever. It is downright dangerous. Neither should a marshal be smoking or eating. I have pointed this out on a couple of occasions this year to those on my post, I may not have been popular, but at least they didn't get hurt! The mini arriving ON the Gooseneck earlier this year proving the point.

I do agree with you, but with the 5 cars in the 2 20 minute Ferrari races I'm surprised we wern't drowned out by snoring, I don't know if they were sat down as the cars past, or if they were away from the circuit on 'stand down' due to the total lack of racing!!

Lee
Old 30 Aug 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1394852)   #8
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
beefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never sit down when there are cars on the bank - I've had too many near misses. It's information I always try to pass on to novices with me.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1394861)   #9
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am one to admit i did sit down while the 5 ferraris were running but stood again when they were clearing tower plenty of time to sort myself out before they reached me at westway
Old 30 Aug 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1394871)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm the logic here seems strange - why is it so hugely dangerous to sit down whilst cars are racing? sounds a stupid question of course but think about it - if you are worn out after a long day you mind wanders you stare aimlessly and can react more slowly - perhaps if you sat down for five minutes whilst not taking you eyes off the action it could in fact improve safety. Those who say that you do not have time to move - have you tried it? or is this just percieved wisdom? after all the adrenalin kick when you see the turd hitting the blower will move you perhaps even more rapidly than if you were standing...

Just a thought from someone who never stands on the bank - rather by the side of the stage where your only barriers are trees...
Old 30 Aug 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1394893)   #11
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Those who say that you do not have time to move - have you tried it? or is this just percieved wisdom? after all the adrenalin kick when you see the turd hitting the blower will move you perhaps even more rapidly than if you were standing...
Yup - on many occasions, even being stood, 100% attentive barely gave enough time to move. Stood means I only have to determine what direction to move, sat means having to stand up and THEN fix a direction.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1394897)   #12
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im sorry Joyce but I disagree with the eating bit, sometimes during the day the only time you get to eat is during the racing. Many times I have had to throw my sandwich to the floor and go bolting out into the gravel. Smoking I agree is dangerous.

Sitting down is a weird one. I know we were told we could sit down during the 6hr LMES race at Silverstone. I sat down once for a minute or two after I did a Linford Christie out onto the track to gather random bits of TVR.

As long as you are aware or your colleagues or you have an idea if something is happening. Also it does depend where you are and how long you are sitting for.

I marshalled the BSB at Silverstone a week ago. THe marshals on the exit of the chicane were all sitting down all day. That does annoy me as I have seen bikes go anywhere especially accelerating after the chicane.

I think you can sit down, but be careful and keep alook out. Sit down does not mean switch off.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1394901)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I did a test with a couple of trainees a few years ago at a hill climb. We had a 'go' shout and in the time it took them to stand up, I'd moved 10 paces and cleared a gate. For those who've played cricket, it's equivalent to getting on your back foot too early - it severely reduces your options. Don't do it, it's not safe.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1394916)   #14
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely if a meeting is well supported marshal-wise then it is possible to give everyone a chance to sit down on a rota basis - but they should move to the spectator side of the fence before doing so..
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1394923)   #15
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But you should know that we aren't well supported.

I dont know about other circuits but at Silverstone, the only way to take evasive action is to dive on the bloody floor.

I dont agree that you should sit down on post but maybe further back if needs be.

For example maybe sit by the tower at Copse to get your breath back?
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1394927)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sat means having to stand up and THEN fix a direction.

why?
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1394930)   #17
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Just get down onto your front if you have to. Hands over head.

That requires just basically falling over
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1394933)   #18
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know that Robin, which is why I said "if".
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1394934)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
bear in mind sprinters start from a squat...
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1394942)   #20
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Sorry it wasnt a pop at you, Just an ideal situation would be nice wouldn't it?

But with things the way they are, in the longer races we could maybe have alook for some ruling on this?
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:29 (Ref:1394943)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm, I never allow marshals to sit down nor to smoke on my post while racing (or practice sessions) are underway. I think simply by standing your concentration levels are higher. Of course, in the unfortunate event of a big (or minor) accident, you are able to get out of the way somewhat quicker. The idea of comparing us to sprinters is a little laughable (sorry Sam) for two reasons:

1: Very few of us are of the same build as an athlete
2: To have to get up from a chair that is often not the most comfortable, is often more difficult that it seems.

I am more tollerant of eating on post, and have to admit to doing it myself on occasion, as it doesn't affect your ability to get out of the bl**dy way should the poo hit the fan.

Last edited by Stephen Green; 30 Aug 2005 at 21:39.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1394953)   #22
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only time i've sat down on post was when cars had passed and we had 1 to 1:30 mins before the next vehicle passed. At the start of racing or during a saftey car period it can really help your feet / back survive the day, but i'd never do it when cars were passing my post.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1394979)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not just whole cars as in the picture. All sorts of bits can come flying over the top and you need to react quickly. It takes little time for a wheel to reach you, and by the time you've stood up it's too late. Even to lie down you've got to get up first - throwing yourself out of the chair in an emergency is harder than you imagine - and even if you know where you're going to go, you have balance issues to sort out as you stand which may prevent you from doing it.

As an aside to give non-marshals an idea of what we have to think about. Do you know that you are often better running towards an incident than away? If you can get to a point ahead of the impact the debris is then going away from you. The decision you have to make is 'can I get beyond the impact', because if not you're probably best to stay put and react to whatever happens next. If you are sitting down, then you only have one choice.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 23:18 (Ref:1395039)   #24
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Besides being dangerous,it doesn't look very 'professional',either to the Spectators or (if being broadcast) TV viewers.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 23:52 (Ref:1395053)   #25
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
Just get down onto your front if you have to. Hands over head.

That requires just basically falling over
But at some circuits we know the barriers don't stand up well to heavy impacts. I've had many instances where being stood up and alert has saved me from being a casualty, even at circuits where barriers and protection are good.
Closed Thread