Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Sep 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1397132)   #1
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make me go faster! Lotus 61 (Historic FF)spring rates?

I've been on standard (for 1969) 175lb springs for years and can't go any faster... Should I change them to 200 + like some of my compratriots? This is like opening a can of worms I know - at the risk of info overload - What recommendations do people have???
Old 2 Sep 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1397163)   #2
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm! I has a 61 many years ago. Nothing really made it go faster other than a stronger rubber band! However, there's no harm in playing. As long as you recognise the limitations in a 61 chassis, i.e. its not particularly stiff in the torsional sense. If you up the spring rates too far, the chassis starts to twist, which is less predictable. I would suggest you play with the front to rear spring rates to change (improve?) the handling characteristics. Also consider ride heights front and rear. If you're changing springs, go up and down in 50lb increments to start with if you can. Anything less will be hard to quantify. Once you're happy, refine it @ 10lbs at a time. The short cut to success would be to speak to Dave Lowe. He's been running a 61 for more years than I can remember (until he got his hands on my old Lotus 69) and knows everything there is to know. He's a great bloke and always willing to help as I recall. Finally, if you want a performance gain, sell the Lotus and get something that is fundamentally better suited to the job (which would be most alternatives other than an Alexis)!
Old 4 Sep 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1399047)   #3
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
Oh dear, things not looking too good for me...............
Old 5 Sep 2005, 09:07 (Ref:1399327)   #4
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never mind dikko! If I were you, I'd decide whether I had a 61 because it's a Lotus, or because I want to go racing? If it's the former, then enjoy it for its strangely charming on-track behaviour. On the other hand, if you want to go racing, sell it to someone who really wants a Lotus, and buy something more effective! Invest in the best engine you can afford, put new tyres on as often as possible and eat lots of red meat (preferably raw)!! That should do the trick.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1399427)   #5
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or you could always get the Merlyn you've tucked away out on track ??
Old 6 Sep 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1400811)   #6
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
Sold already Jason....I now need to rebuild it.....Solid sense Chris, I've raced the 61 for 13 years now because it is a LOTUS but I would like to be a bit further up the grid - a healthy enough ambition even without eating steak diane - Ian Ashley stopped by at Oulton Pk and gave some profound words on set-up etc that they used to use in period (and he used to win with a 61...) which rather prompted me to see what anyone else thought. Maybe it's just my ancient years (tyres, shockers, engine, springs, chassis) that's holding me back. Maybe, just maybe, a can of Red Bull could be the answer!
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1401480)   #7
JohnHenderson
Rookie

JohnHenderson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Dikko,
I once rented a beautifully prepared 61 for an HSCC race at Snetterton in '95 from Peter and James Denty, which seemed to me to handle absolutely superbly. I was a complete single-seater novice with only one year's racing experience in a Lotus 7 so maybe I wasn't best qualified to judge its set-up. But I seem to recall it got me qualified quite high up the very distinguished grid (3rd or 4th?), only for me to throw it all away on the first corner trying to grab the lead (probably from a certain Mr Sleeman...plus ca change...). You could ask James (who looked after me on the day) what springs that one had? It was certainly a joy to drive.
Cheers
John
Old 18 Sep 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1410252)   #8
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
John, you've now convinced me into thinking it's the driver after all! As Mr Denty supplied me with springs etc I've got to assume that other than keeping things in working order I can't get any more out of the ol' girl. There are one or two minor adjustments that have been recommended to me (lowering of front end) which I'm going to try. But nothing dramatic or dynamic. Thanks for the advice fellas if I win I'll let you all know. Don't necessarily watch this space though!