Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Oct 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1431268)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Abolish pit stops, or allow tyre changes?

http://www.gazzetta.it/Motori/Formul...11/gomme.shtml

This article (in Italian) is derived from a similar one in Autosport. Michelin has spoken out against proposed changes that would once again allow tyre changes during pit stops. They prefer to do away with pit stops all together. An expected response given their dominance with this year's rules.

What do you think? I'd rather have real pitstops with tyre changes.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1431273)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A little bit more thrilling than the current format.

But no pitstop can be awesome.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1431277)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
It certainly would avoid the doubts about true speed that are associated with fuel load.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1431290)   #4
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the idea of no pitstops or no refueling.

No pitstops can be a drag because of a complete lack of excitement at all if somebody flys off into the sunset, and with the cars being so reliable as a whole, the races won't be as enthralling as the 80s/90s. The big advantage (Or dissadvantage) is that you'd have to pass on the track.

However, just tyre stops takes us back to our humble roots, make of that what you will.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 23:18 (Ref:1431296)   #5
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would people think of teams having the option to pit to refuel/change tyres, but it not being compulsory?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1431298)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I think pitstops for "tyres only" has some merit if the compound choice is free at all points of the weekend. If this was complimented by the manufacturers providing multiple variations for each event, well it could be interesting.

The notion of having zero stops (well presumably people would be allowed to stop to deal with damage) could work out, but, given today's situation, is there not a reasonable chance of seeing minimalchanges for position (pitstop or otherwise)?

With regards the "compulsory" stops referred to, to be fair, fuel stops are not compulsory at the moment. Rather they are permitted and, given the current format, it is very much worthwhile stopping.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1431301)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
-
Old 11 Oct 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1431326)   #8
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Perhaps allowing tyre changes during a race but change the minimum pit stop time when doing so ... say a 20 second minimum or longer. That would make for some interesting strategies.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 23:58 (Ref:1431337)   #9
Stargazer7
Racer

Greece
Athens
Stargazer7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like only tyre changing to be established. I have commented on this in another topic but I would add this will demonstrate which team has the fastest pit crew. Moreover there are not going to be so many pitstops and strategies (which I totally hate) will be far more limited.

However I don't think that cutting off pitstops will be benefiting because pitstops are one of F1's trademark.

The question is how would an F1 car be affected by such a great fuel tank enlargement?
Old 12 Oct 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1431355)   #10
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
theve only been a trademark for a decade :P

I think that pitstops should be allowed, but they have to be done in a way that it is more adventageous to stay on the race circuit.

The obvious way to do this would be to make the teams manually remove the tyres without the rattle guns, and reduce the fuel supply speed to a conventional road pump speed.

thus the teams could refuel or change tyres if they wished, but it would take too long to make it viable.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 01:05 (Ref:1431373)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
From the point of safety I would ban refueling and I would allow tyre changes.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 01:28 (Ref:1431384)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
From the point of safety I would ban refueling and I would allow tyre changes.
It is totally unnessesary for the cars to stop for tyres or fuel.All we get from this is a chess game where the teams strategists plan out the race from behind the pit wall.

What we should be seeing is the drivers pitting (pardon the pun) their wits against each other out on the track.

Or maybe there is some way that the drivers (and the drivers only) decide for themselves when they should pit for fuel or tyres.I would have thought that the driver would be able to work out for himself when the most appropriate time would be to pit i.e. stuck behind slower car or tyres going off.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 01:34 (Ref:1431387)   #13
Stargazer7
Racer

Greece
Athens
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
theve only been a trademark for a decade :P.
A little longer than that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
The obvious way to do this would be to make the teams manually remove the tyres without the rattle guns, and reduce the fuel supply speed to a conventional road pump speed.

thus the teams could refuel or change tyres if they wished, but it would take too long to make it viable.
They could just limit the pitcrew personel to 10 lets say. That would delay the procedure...
Old 12 Oct 2005, 01:39 (Ref:1431391)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer7

They could just limit the pitcrew personel to 10 lets say. That would delay the procedure...
The FIA intend to limit the pit crew to 12 for next season.We should know everything by October 24th.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 01:54 (Ref:1431398)   #15
Stargazer7
Racer

Greece
Athens
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
The FIA intend to limit the pit crew to 12 for next season.We should know everything by October 24th.
Thats a good start. Exactly how many people a pit stop involves nowadays?
Old 12 Oct 2005, 02:09 (Ref:1431408)   #16
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Pit Stops?

I loved F1 a whole lot more when there were no pit stops for fuel, and you only stopped if your tires were shot completely. Although in todays f1 is carring all the fuel on board a good idea? We all remember what happened to Gerhard Berger in San Marino back in 88. His Ferrari burst into flames, im not sure if this could happen in todays F1 but hey why not? All it takes is a heavy crash and spark right?
Old 12 Oct 2005, 03:46 (Ref:1431451)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It is totally unnessesary for the cars to stop for tyres or fuel.All we get from this is a chess game where the teams strategists plan out the race from behind the pit wall.

What we should be seeing is the drivers pitting (pardon the pun) their wits against each other out on the track.

Or maybe there is some way that the drivers (and the drivers only) decide for themselves when they should pit for fuel or tyres.I would have thought that the driver would be able to work out for himself when the most appropriate time would be to pit i.e. stuck behind slower car or tyres going off.
Okay martyn I understand what you are saying..I don't want the race to be driven by anyone except the driver either. My point about stopping for fuel is that the process is dangerous and always will be, sod the entertainment factor. I do not care for races won or lost in the pits either.

My point about stopping for tyres is only that they race on safe rubber, that should be the choice of the driver though as you say and not a race engineer..
Old 12 Oct 2005, 08:28 (Ref:1431578)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpunk75
His Ferrari burst into flames, im not sure if this could happen in todays F1 but hey why not? All it takes is a heavy crash and spark right?
It's just as well that it burst into flames out on the track and not in the pits.
Gerhard survived the crash and the fire just as Nikki did.It is events such as these that make F1 drivers into heroic icons,but obviously F1 still needs to be has safe as possible for everyone.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 08:38 (Ref:1431579)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I would like to ban re-fueling but allow tyre changes.
Alternatively, ban pit stops all together.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1431590)   #20
NiG_21
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepperton, Middlesex
NiG_21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It won't make a difference...

When there were no pitstops and no refuelling we still had just as many dull races and dominant drivers/cars lapping the entire field.

Then again, we also had some real hum-dingers of races. The problem we as fans/spectators have is seeing the 'good old days' through rose tinted specs.

With the current set up we are still getting the same results and the same proportion of good/boring races.

I think no re-fuelling will be dangerous as the designers/driver already notice the difference in a car now between full and empty tanks - this effect would be magnified. That being said though, these are supposed to be the best drivers in the world, so they should be able to cope

I like the "no tyre changes" rules, this puts the driver in a position to conserve his tyres for later in the race and so a car that was fst at the start may not be so at the end.

I all honesty, I quite like it as it is (pitstops) this way we (I) get my fix of action and strategy which both have equal excitement for me. I.e. the anticipation is just as good as the on track action, but it lasts longer
Old 12 Oct 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1431598)   #21
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The race strategys are decided by the team strategists since refuelling is allowed. But before that, drivers decided whether and when to do a tyre change.

Tyre changes are better for the safety. Wit the current tyre war the tyre companies have decreased the safety margin. The FIA could end this by introducing the control tyre, but than it would a lot easier for drivers to a whole race without a tyre change.

In my opinion refuelling should be banned. It would make the teams focus more at the fuel consumption, resulting a slightly slow down of the increase of BHP. It would provide the drivers more liberty in deciding the race strategy. Some drivers will decide to do one pitstop, some to do no pitstop at all and some drivers will decide to race with the softest compound and to do two pitstops.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1431605)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
The race strategys are decided by the team strategists since refuelling is allowed. But before that, drivers decided whether and when to do a tyre change.

Tyre changes are better for the safety. Wit the current tyre war the tyre companies have decreased the safety margin. The FIA could end this by introducing the control tyre, but than it would a lot easier for drivers to a whole race without a tyre change.

In my opinion refuelling should be banned. It would make the teams focus more at the fuel consumption, resulting a slightly slow down of the increase of BHP. It would provide the drivers more liberty in deciding the race strategy. Some drivers will decide to do one pitstop, some to do no pitstop at all and some drivers will decide to race with the softest compound and to do two pitstops.
Agreed, and also you would need to increase the pit lane speed limit to make it viable, say by 20mph.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 09:31 (Ref:1431622)   #23
Stargazer7
Racer

Greece
Athens
The point is, can anyone think of the changes that would take place with a much larger fuel tank in an F1 car?
This will alter the whole car structure i think
Old 12 Oct 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1431626)   #24
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see a pit crew of 7 to do pit stops and five lug nuts per wheel. The tyres can still be changed in about 13-14 seconds. You have one crew member to operate the jack, two men per wheel ( a tyre carrier and a changer and that team is responsable for changing the wheels at one end of the car). So you change the tyres on one side of the car then you change the other side. It can and does work. Then the remaining two personel can do the refueling. It cuts down on cost and increases safety in pit lane as there are less people in the pit lane.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 09:36 (Ref:1431630)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer7
The point is, can anyone think of the changes that would take place with a much larger fuel tank in an F1 car?
This will alter the whole car structure i think

It wouldn't be a drama.

They managed easily enough from 1984-1993