Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 10 Nov 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1457608)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Standing starts

ChampCar say the 2007 car could see them bring in standing starts
Old 10 Nov 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1457621)   #2
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yippee...

What stops them doing it with the 2001+ car?
Old 10 Nov 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1457626)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They're not designed for sitting idle for as long as would be needed, and could overheat
Old 11 Nov 2005, 00:10 (Ref:1457743)   #4
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boy, the ex F1 guys may not like that... "How are we supposed to do a standing start without traction control"

IMHO The rolling starts are one of the things that make Champ Car different it also gives more of an opportunity to warmp up the tires. F1 can do standing because they have tire warmers, and I don't want Champ Cars using more of that fancy european crap. (No offense guys) But we have to keep some tradition!!!
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:30 (Ref:1457786)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think KK said something along the lines that standing starts would be considered only for certain tracks. Eg Monterrey because of the wide start/finish straight.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1458304)   #6
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like the idea of standing starts for Champ Car and like GBoehm said, rolling starts are one of the things that make Champ Car different... and that way it's a challenge for the drivers... think of Tracy, the king of cold tires, the man to beat... something that I don't want to miss.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1458306)   #7
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Switiching between standing and rolling starts would add another exciting element to Champ Cars. Definitely gets my vote!
Old 12 Nov 2005, 00:42 (Ref:1458513)   #8
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would at least be an interesting experiment.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 00:51 (Ref:1458517)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66
I don't like the idea of standing starts for Champ Car and like GBoehm said, rolling starts are one of the things that make Champ Car different... and that way it's a challenge for the drivers... think of Tracy, the king of cold tires, the man to beat... something that I don't want to miss.
Standing starts are a TERRIBLE idea...

They are dangerous, they cause many first turn incidents, and if anyone stalls out for any reason, they are a disaster on the grid...

Don't go the F-1 Route...stick with what you have already...They have a pileup at the first corner in most of their racesand many cars that pay visits to the gravel, etc, in F-1......

Rolling starts are much smarter and much safer....

We want good, clean, strategic racing....standing starts are not consistent with that....

Sorry..this idea sucks...this is Champ Cars...not Championship Wrestling, where people pay to see contact and carnage...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 12 Nov 2005, 03:42 (Ref:1458605)   #10
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 07:31 (Ref:1458641)   #11
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The cars would need a hand-clutch or something for the starts like F1 cars.

They could just do what they do in the pits stops and rev it to the limiter and shift up, praying for the best , like one of my favorite memories from Surfers a few years ago:
RAAAOOOWWWWwwwww....*stall* *Salo bangs wheel with fist*
Old 12 Nov 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1458648)   #12
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a big fan of standing starts either, but just to see the other side, what could be the reason or reasons that standing starts may be better than rolling starts?
Old 12 Nov 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1458851)   #13
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes a standing start is more dangerous, but it also gives more opertunity of overtaking. The question is where do you draw the line between entertainment and safety?
Old 12 Nov 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1458864)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Standing starts are safer in some ways - the cars won't be going as quickly when they reach the first corner
Old 12 Nov 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1458960)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the grids were as large as they were ten years a go then maybe rolling stars are better, but the trouble with rolling stars is there is usually not a change of postion where with standing starts there is usually a lot of changes for postion and as the grids are currently around 20, from Mexico and likely to be that for next year I wouldn't mind standing starts, certainly more spectacular...
Old 13 Nov 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1459604)   #16
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBoehm
Boy, the ex F1 guys may not like that... "How are we supposed to do a standing start without traction control"

IMHO The rolling starts are one of the things that make Champ Car different it also gives more of an opportunity to warmp up the tires. F1 can do standing because they have tire warmers, and I don't want Champ Cars using more of that fancy european crap. (No offense guys) But we have to keep some tradition!!!
News flash: Formula 1 has a formation lap before the start of the race.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1459607)   #17
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
I don't see why standing starts would be more dangerous. And if so, I thought Americans loved danger. That's one of the reasons they are so keen on oval racing.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1459699)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see no evidence that standing starts would be better. I think F1 needs standing starts because of the lack of competition. I think standing starts are more prone to produce radical shake ups in the order. If CC has strong competition then it would be unnecessary to do something like that.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1459701)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Standing starts are the best way to start races.

US single seaters only have rolling starts because thats what you need on ovals.

If ChampCar hardly races on ovals, there's no need to have rolling starts.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1459772)   #20
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Same for the long and serveral pace car yellow laps...during road races, they can simply have like F1 local yellow flags..
Old 13 Nov 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1459803)   #21
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Standing starts are the best way to start races.

US single seaters only have rolling starts because thats what you need on ovals.

If ChampCar hardly races on ovals, there's no need to have rolling starts.
I think that rolling starts are not needed on ovals either. The banking shouldn't be a huge problem. At Bratch Hatch it isn't a problem either.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1459823)   #22
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Rolling starts are much smarter and much safer....
Tell that to Da Matta!

I don't know where I come down on this issue personally....

I like the Rolling starts because they make Champcar unique, but then (except for Mexico) they usually do sloppy rolling starts anyway, with the first couple of rows lined up and the rest of the cars still negociating the final corners. That's a bit boring.

I'd like it if it were only a couple of races had standing starts, say JUST the road course events, (not streets or obviously ovals) because they're geared up for it.
But then in places like Montreal, if you want to race in F1's back garden you might as well try and differentiate yourself eh?

Hmmm.....

*Hops on the fence for this one*
Old 14 Nov 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1460130)   #23
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47
I like the Rolling starts because they make Champcar unique, but then (except for Mexico) they usually do sloppy rolling starts anyway, with the first couple of rows lined up and the rest of the cars still negociating the final corners. That's a bit boring.
I agree that some of the starts this year has been rather sloppy - Mexico City, as you mention, is one example as is Surfers' Paradise which saw the last couple of rows get way behind on the start.

As for rolling starts making Champ Car unique... NASCAR and IndyCar use rolling starts as well, as do, as far as I know, just about every car racing championship in the US

EDIT - In regards to the standing vs rolling starts debate, I wouldn't mind seeing Champ Car introduce standing starts at some tracks. The tighter street-circuits are probably best left with rolling starts though.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1460137)   #24
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about this for a thought: Champ Car touts its diversity of tracks, and say that the best drivers are those who are well-rounded and able to race well on all 4 types of courses.

Why can't some of that driver skill include a mix of standing and rolling starts?
Old 14 Nov 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1460331)   #25
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rolling starts do not make ChampCar unique at all, every international series I can think of (bar one) uses rolling starts.
Having standing starts would be more unique.