Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Nov 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1469684)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WTCC to ITV ?

Autosport are reporting that Eurosport and ITV have done a "handshake deal" for the terrestial coverage of the WTCC next year to be aired on ITV, taking over from Channel 4.

There is also mention that at least 1 round should be shown live, so with that I would guess the airing times of the series will be in an afternoon Saturday or Sunday slot.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1469720)   #2
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Should be better than C4's fairly inept coverage. ITV have turned into the terrestrial home of motorsport...shame about their other programmes.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1469985)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
And bring back BTCC to BBC.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1470001)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE

Please God no!
Old 25 Nov 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1470005)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Please God no!
Sorry, but then I would be able to watch BTCC.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1470021)   #6
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Should be better than C4's fairly inept coverage.
I didn't think the actual programmes were that bad (certainly a lot better than their WSBK coverage, shudder), its just that they showed it at 2am! Would be good if ITV show it at a reasonable hour, so long as it doesn't result in less BTCC coverage...
Old 25 Nov 2005, 13:14 (Ref:1470025)   #7
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and bring with it WRC and WTCC... in fact - everything which is motorsport

I'm fed up of watching adverts!
Old 25 Nov 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1470031)   #8
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Autosport are reporting that Eurosport and ITV have done a "handshake deal" for the terrestial coverage of the WTCC next year to be aired on ITV, taking over from Channel 4.

There is also mention that at least 1 round should be shown live, so with that I would guess the airing times of the series will be in an afternoon Saturday or Sunday slot.
Lets hope that happens, I always missed it this year because it was on at stupid times!
Old 25 Nov 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1470042)   #9
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest i cant imagine the actual programme would be any different, they showed clips of qualifying and the two races with no extra rubbish to get in the way. The feed was from Eurosport with martin Haven and David Leslie which is excellent. I hope ITV dont try too hard....
Old 25 Nov 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1470129)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
and bring with it WRC and WTCC... in fact - everything which is motorsport

I'm fed up of watching adverts!

Adverts are a small price to pay in order to avoid the BBC's lamentable attitude to motorsport
Old 25 Nov 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1470151)   #11
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What is lamentable about it?
Old 25 Nov 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1470153)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did you see their coverage of GP Masters?

Shoehorned into Grandstand, shoddily edited build up, a couple of laps missing out of the middle of the race, due to satellite breakup on the live feed (despite said laps being refed after the race on the satellite for the express purpose of non-live broadcasters being able to edit them back in).

Away from the race virtually the second the flag fell, to John Inverdale reading out a couple of "Hilarious" Murray Walker quotes off the internet.

Shoddy, apologetic coverage.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1470155)   #13
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I did. Did much happen on the laps that were missed? Who wants a big song and dance before and after the race? The fact is, the majority of people don't! I'd much rather watch a sports programme with a variety of sporting action, including motorsport, than a dedicated motorsport programme with padding!
Old 25 Nov 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1470180)   #14
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Did you see their coverage of GP Masters?

Shoehorned into Grandstand, shoddily edited build up, a couple of laps missing out of the middle of the race, due to satellite breakup on the live feed (despite said laps being refed after the race on the satellite for the express purpose of non-live broadcasters being able to edit them back in).

Away from the race virtually the second the flag fell, to John Inverdale reading out a couple of "Hilarious" Murray Walker quotes off the internet.

Shoddy, apologetic coverage.
A 10% of the laps is better than the 20-odd % missed by ITV.

In that race there was little point analysing it because it was not a championship race. I think ITV's coverage of motorsport is shoddy if anything is. Look at the useless way it shows WRC. Over 3 hours of action confined to an hour's programme with 12 mins of adverts and more interviews than action. BBC every time for me.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1470279)   #15
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Adverts are a small price to pay in order to avoid the BBC's lamentable attitude to motorsport
BBC's coverage is better than ITV, Channel 4 or any commercial broadcaster's will ever be! No pointless preamble, decent commentary, just needs to get more live motorsport and it'll be good.

the only problem with some sports (the dakar rally) is that they'll only follow one or 2 driver's, and if they fall out the interest drops.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1470294)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

We'll have to disagree on that then.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1470295)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
While I agree that the BBC isn't trying to grab the rights to much motorsport when they do cover something I prefer their coverage. However they don't seem to want WTCC (or others) so that is it really
Old 25 Nov 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1470360)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The BBC probably couldn't show the WTCC coverage as fed to Eurosport anyway, since many of the graphics and virtual "big screens" used during the race coverage have LG emblazened on them.

I think this would breach the BBC's advertising rules
Old 26 Nov 2005, 02:07 (Ref:1470486)   #19
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the moment, it doesn't seem the WTCC has been picked up here in NA. Traditionally, Speed TV shows it during the Nascar offseason.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1471257)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV should do a double header of touring cars (WTCC and BTCC) in one proggramme with Ben Edwards.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1471285)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
The BBC probably couldn't show the WTCC coverage as fed to Eurosport anyway, since many of the graphics and virtual "big screens" used during the race coverage have LG emblazened on them.

I think this would breach the BBC's advertising rules
Is the "virtual" aspect of this advertising the problem? I mean at football there's also a lott of advertising boards around the field.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1472051)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

In response to the original point about the WTCC being on ITV, don't get your hopes up.

The BTCC will be the only touring car series covered on ITV1 in 2006.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1472183)   #23
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This runs off topic but answers a point raised.

Quote:
Is the "virtual" aspect of this advertising the problem? I mean at football there's also a lott of advertising boards around the field.
No the BBC use virtual graphics for various sports events, and of course there is advertising in view at the sports events.

The problem is broadcast sponsorship, in the case of the WTCC, LG is broadcast sponsors as well as event sponsors (assuming it continues into 2006) with the result that the onscreen graphics have the company logo on them.

Because of the way the BBC is funded, its not allowed to have broadcast sponsors. The biggest motorsports example I can think of was when the BBC used to cover the Bathurst 1000Km race, but was dropped when the Aussie TV coverage introduced sponsored replays or specifically sponsorsed on-board cameras.

The exceptions being the event sponsor, eventtiming company or the event IT provider, which sometimes appear on the BBCs Graphics for a short period of time.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 28 Nov 2005 at 14:19. Reason: small addition
Old 28 Nov 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1472234)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I wasn't even aware that Channel 4 covered WTCC.

Regarding the sponsorship, what about the BTCC when it was the "Auto Trader British Touring Car Championship", frequently, on-board cameras had a Auto Trader sticker in shot on the dashboard for seconds on end.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1472237)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

As ScotsBrutesFan said, the event sponsor can be promoted.

Tags
wtcc