Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 6 Dec 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1478244)   #1
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it just me?

Or was there something missing from this season's MotoGP? For some reason, for the first time in many years I just couldn't get excited by it. True, I never missed a round but there didn't seem to be the same "buzz".

The combination of rider injuries and Gibernau losing the plot completely meant it was all a bit of a non-event for the championship. You couldn’t help but feel a few of the older riders are now past their sell-by dates and just taking the cash, are people like Roberts, Checa, Gibernau, Biaggi, Barros etc just taking up good seats that could go to younger, hungrier riders? I haven’t even asked for the season highlights DVD this year for Christmas!

Roll on 2006! Put Rossi on a Kawasaki! (Or, even better, send him over to Kenny Roberts).
Old 6 Dec 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1478345)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seemed entertaining enough to me.

But next year looks fantastic!
Old 6 Dec 2005, 16:41 (Ref:1478354)   #3
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

ok so the championship itself was one way traffic, but the battle for second was pretty good, 5 riders in it. Seeing the likes of Melandri and Hayden kick the deadwood of Biaggi, Barros and Gibernau into touch and the brief Ducati revival made for good viewing still. Plus Donny in the wet and Suzuki's performance there.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1478366)   #4
JohnnyFiama
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink69
ok so the championship itself was one way traffic, but the battle for second was pretty good
True but the battle for second was often more a case of who would lose it rather than who would win. No-one was quick and consistant, they were either piling up points for lower top ten positions or coming second one week and falling off the next. Lets hope next year a few of them can put a whole season together.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1478378)   #5
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Melandri was pretty quick ... and quite consistent too in the end ..

Ciao Marco
Old 6 Dec 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1478413)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good post this, I felt this a little through the season, it isnt the same when you pretty much know who is going to win, we just have to be thankful that Vale makes his winning so much more entertaining than say Mick or Rainey did.
I think if and when Vale elaves you will have a mad scramble for the podiums like we did in 2000 when Mick had gone and Vale was just getting into this stride, that season had loads of incident and really made the races better to watch but you kinda thought, Mick would be 10 secs up the road here!!
800 cc might do the trick as the new bikes will all have teething troubles, but I think if Yamaha keep with an inline 4 they will still have an advantage if they have Valentino
Old 6 Dec 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1478491)   #7
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Valentino and Jeremy

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Dec 2005, 00:12 (Ref:1478617)   #8
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree to a point with the OP. I tried my best to not miss a race, but if I did miss the MotoGPs then it didn't bother me. However I would try even harder to make sure I caught the 125s and 250s. The thin grids in MGP really bother me whereas the bigger field in 250s (with the extra bonus of Chaz Davies) and the huge 125 grid were almost always great to watch.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 01:49 (Ref:1478649)   #9
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was pondering this the other day. I was still excited by it, and the tail end of the season was something completely different to the start of the season.

But it just missed that wow factor from last year. All the races from 2004 I still have on tape are wonderfull, the number of Sete V. Rossi last lap duels that we had last year really did spoil us.

Hopefully with Pedrosa improving through testing and Nicky getting his buisness together, we could see a ding-dong 2006 title chase.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 02:42 (Ref:1478668)   #10
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I'm honest, it's never been the same since Kato died in 2003.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 02:53 (Ref:1478671)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This year I felt was a good year, better than that of 2004. Yes Rossi took the title once again and Gibernau slipped up too many times to be a consistant title contender, but, this year we saw the emergeance of a guy who IMO will be one of the riders looking to take Rossis crown next year, Marco Melandri. He had some very good rides this season and took the final 2 wins of the year and if his recent testing form is anything to go by he will be right there at the start of next season.

2006 looks to be a great season especially now that Pedrosa is up into the big class, im expecting big things from him next season, the same applies to Capirossi and Hayden and Gibernau, any one of them has the potential to take the fight to Vale if they can become consistant. Out of the riders mentioned above though id either have to go for Melandri or Pedrosa to take the title from Rossi, that is of course assuming Gibernau cracks again, if he doesent he will of course be right there. 2006 is looking good! IMO.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1479039)   #12
JohnnyFiama
Racer

Completely agree S7R, but your comments in some way back up what I was trying to say. 2004 was a great "Rossi as an underdog" season and 2006 looks great with several new riders and a couple of maturing riders (Melandri and Hayden). 2005 just seemed like a holding year while everyone was getting ready for next season..... roll on March '06!
Old 7 Dec 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1479173)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pedrosa has looked ok in testing hasent he it has to be said, interesting to know if he is setting the times on race tyres or one lappers.
Also he looks OK on the bike from the piccies i have seen, wonder how he is coping strength wise aswell.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1479987)   #14
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFiama
Or was there something missing from this season's MotoGP? For some reason, for the first time in many years I just couldn't get excited by it. True, I never missed a round but there didn't seem to be the same "buzz".

The combination of rider injuries and Gibernau losing the plot completely meant it was all a bit of a non-event for the championship. You couldn’t help but feel a few of the older riders are now past their sell-by dates and just taking the cash, are people like Roberts, Checa, Gibernau, Biaggi, Barros etc just taking up good seats that could go to younger, hungrier riders? I haven’t even asked for the season highlights DVD this year for Christmas!

Roll on 2006! Put Rossi on a Kawasaki! (Or, even better, send him over to Kenny Roberts).

I was bored by this season as well. I'm just getting the British and World Superbike DVDs for Christmas this year.

Vyvyan - The Young Ones
Old 8 Dec 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1480002)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Me too, skipped quite a number of GP's in the latter half of the season.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 02:04 (Ref:1480156)   #16
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't skip any per-se.
I just listened to them on Eurosport Radio instead of watching them 5hrs later on tv.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1483518)   #17
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgive me, if I'm the only person to think, but I honestly believe that the only rider who even comes close to Rossi in natural ability out of the older bunch, is Kenny Roberts Jr, and he's been stuck on inferior Suzukis for five years. Maybe the Roberts Honda, if it eventuates, will see him run closer to the front.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1483666)   #18
JohnnyFiama
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seton Fanatic
the only rider who even comes close to Rossi in natural ability out of the older bunch, is Kenny Roberts Jr
Is it April Fools day?? Please tell me you're having a laugh! Roberts was very lucky one year to win a championship on a good bike with many wet races. Rossi wasn't up to speed, Doohan had gone, Criville was a shadow..... he has done virtually nothing since.....
Old 14 Dec 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1483729)   #19
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No it's not April Fools Day, as might suggest. Roberts was lucky to win his title, granted. Lest we not remember the strong second placing in the 1999 500cc Championship as well, and his outperforming of Gibernau, when they were teammates at Suzuki. The same Mr Gibernau, who pushed Mr Rossi very hard in 2003 and 2004. There and then, you get the true measure of Mr Roberts' ability.

My actual assertion was actually about the older bunch that raced in Moto GP in 2005. It seems obvious to me, that Mr Roberts is markedly better than all the older riders, bar Mr Rossi, and better than most youngsters, with the possible exceptions of Mr Melandri, Mr Stoner and Mr Pedrosa.

I eagerly await a response to this post.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1483756)   #20
L34
Rookie

Australia
North Western Sydney, NSW, Australia
L34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seton Fanatic
No it's not April Fools Day, as might suggest. Roberts was lucky to win his title, granted. Lest we not remember the strong second placing in the 1999 500cc Championship as well, and his outperforming of Gibernau, when they were teammates at Suzuki. The same Mr Gibernau, who pushed Mr Rossi very hard in 2003 and 2004. There and then, you get the true measure of Mr Roberts' ability.

My actual assertion was actually about the older bunch that raced in Moto GP in 2005. It seems obvious to me, that Mr Roberts is markedly better than all the older riders, bar Mr Rossi, and better than most youngsters, with the possible exceptions of Mr Melandri, Mr Stoner and Mr Pedrosa.

I eagerly await a response to this post.
Roberts Jnr is a real gun. Thats why the teams are fighting amonst themselves for Kenny services in 2006. Only reason Kenny Jnr will get a ride is because of Daddy. It will be another wasted seat for a very overrated rider.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1483813)   #21
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
If I'm honest, it's never been the same since Kato died in 2003.
I'll have to agree with that.

This years motogp was lacking, it was lacking Sete and it was lacking Max. The championship was never out of Rossi's reach and Marco's wins are the end of teh year where only (hopefully) a taste of a better 2006.

I think that the smaller classes where really good though! And i'm going to admit that after watching those via the motogp live streaming I fell asleep more then once during the motogp race.

p.s. Roberts Jr is amazing, I would love to see him on a real honda
Old 14 Dec 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1484090)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think Roberts won a championship that was there for the taking, much as Schwantz did in 93, if you remember he was the quicker man throught the winter in 93 and dominated the opening races to get a lead before Rainey chipped back at him, then he had his crash and we will never know the outcome.\Roberts had developed the bike very well with Willing in 99 and came out fighting in 2000 when everyone else was on different situations. Vale was new and Honda built the bike round what Alex wanted rather than him. Alex was rubbish and the only real threat should have been Max, but he was just Max as usual!
kenny is a talent but will not push hard if the bike is not there. He doesnt spin it up to compensate. That Suzuki was well set up and used 17inch tyres which suited it better coz it had less speed off the turns.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1484311)   #23
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kenny doesn't spin it up??? I guess that's why he is so bad in the wet then!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1484942)   #24
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
What i mean to say is that he doesnt prefer to spin the tyre like Vale or Sete would do. He is happier when the thing just handles and he can get round a bit more like a Max or that sort of rider.
I think he can spin, but he chosses not to, i think he must have done dirt track and must have spent many hours going round the track at Dads ranch!
Being good in the wet has nowt to do with rear wheel steering either, you start doing that and yer off mate!
Old 16 Dec 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1485237)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Being good in the wet has nowt to do with rear wheel steering either, you start doing that and yer off mate!
I always considered that the fun side of racing in the wet!