Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Dec 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1483953)   #1
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michelin to leave F1

I've just heard that Michelin have announced their intention to leave F1 at the end of the 2006 season citing a single tyre supplier as the reason.

I was just curious as to what people thought about this. Do you think that having a single supplier will be a good thing or bad thing for the sport ?

Personally I like to see competition, I like to see all contributors working hard for dominance and that a single supplier can lead to complacence to a degree plus whats the value of winning a World Championship if you are the only entrant ?!?!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1483954)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michelin to pull out at end of '06

ITV: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34712

I kind of saw this coming, but not before 2008...
Old 14 Dec 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1483967)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I was just about to post the same thing.... But I see that we already have two threads (now merged). BStone will be the single tyre supplier - this, in my opinion, is a good thing. I suspect that the bad publicity from Indy also had a hand in their decision.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1483969)   #4
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For once I believe the reason given for leaving the sport. I don't see the point investing zillions of dollars when you are the sole provider (i.e. no competition). The Indy fiasco surely did not help but I don't think it was the cause of "Bibendum's" (whatever is the name of Michelin's sexy mascot) announced departure.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1483975)   #5
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think a single tyre supplier is good for F1. It will make the aerodynamics even more important.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1483981)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
michelin desire competition, always have. They do not like to be the sole supplier
Old 14 Dec 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1483988)   #7
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We all knew this was coming, but that's a lot quicker than I expected. I really appreciated the tyre wars (Indy aside) and this will likely give the 2006 Bridgestone runners an advantage in 2007.

Sad day because Michelin truly belongs in F1.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1483999)   #8
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we should have a poll on this to see how people feel ?
Old 14 Dec 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1484001)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This move certainly leaves some teams like Renault and Mclaren nervous. They are faced with a year to make the switch, and will have no data for which to design their next season's car with. Toyota and Williams must be pretty glad to have made the switch. Red Bull made a wrong call in not aligning with Bridgestone earlier and this meant that a Newey car in 2007 cannot be fully utlized unfortunately.

I welcomed tire wars, provided that the tyres do not contribute as the "definite" decider as we have seen in recent years, especially last season. It is amusing to see tyre companies fighting it out and pushing the rules/limits (and sometimes, getting dramatically wrong - ouch not nice to watch) but the situation F1 face is getting tedious.

With a sole supplier (but that doesn't mean sole-specification), we will still see interesting decision made by various teams and somebody getting it wrong...but the degree of difference would unlikely be as marked. Tyre-testings which constitute majority of track test will be hugely reduced.

Michelin has opted to leave. No surprise, and i believe that it's a choice they want to make hoping that they can carry on the momentum, win next season and quit on a high. Being in F1 for multi-seasons, only with one title isn't exactly a worthwhile investment or a superb result for Michelin who is used to winning, and to rub salt to wound, the Indy incident really cost them much in terms of bad publicity and compensation.

A sad situation to leave F1. 2007 is earlier than thought, and they'd be missed. But F1 won't be worse off with this simplification of an overly complex sports.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1484005)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suspect that when Bridgestone is the only manufacturer they will be far more interested in tire wear than performance. As such I don't think the Michelin teams will be that adversely effected.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1484011)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would cut cost drastically for Bridgestone. There's no need for aggressive tyres developement, but just gradual improvements. In fact, tyres would surely lose some grip in exchange for greater durability.

But still, it leaves FIA and BS the scope to design 2 different compounds artificially to provide some degree of variance between teams.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1484020)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is bridgestone going to be the sole tire provider then?

i would like to see that option open to the lowest bidder. not just in regards to keeping costs low but also for the potential that a new company will come in and every team start on equal footing.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 16:37 (Ref:1484031)   #13
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This was pretty much as expected. I think Michelin were very unhappy to see tire changes back in F1 after spending the time, money and effort in achieving a very competitive tire that would last a grand prix distance. It was quite the contradiction in thinking to go back to tire changes.

But Formula 1's loss is other's gain. Michelin will still be at Le Mans!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1484037)   #14
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
It would cut cost drastically for Bridgestone. There's no need for aggressive tyres developement, but just gradual improvements. In fact, tyres would surely lose some grip in exchange for greater durability.
If teams save money on the tyres, they will spend it on an other area.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1484052)   #15
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My suspicous side wonders if some teams had some inside info of this eventuality (and how quickly it will transpire) and opted to go Bridgestone immediately. I know I was surprised to see Toyota and Williams go that route, especially after Bridgestone's poor showing with Ferrari this year. Mclaren and Sauber will not be too pleased, especially Sauber who seem to be on a tyre brand roller coaster.
But overall, I like the 1 tyre supplier format.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1484079)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Lets hope we can go to slicks in 2007.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1484109)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
True Monster - what type of tyres are in use is probably more significant to the spectacle than how many companies make them and who those companies are. The advantage of a single-tyre supplier is that no team will have their hard work scuppered by being on the wrong tyres, the championship can't be fiddled by the FIA or certain teams quite as easily, and the spectators are much more sure that the right team wins. I think it's a good move, and Michelin are probably right, that the costs of supplying those tyres outweigh the marketing and promotional kudos.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1484127)   #18
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The advantage of a single-tyre supplier is that no team will have their hard work scuppered by being on the wrong tyres
[...]
If a team's hard work will be scuppered by the tyre supplier, well, that's motor racing.

Some team's hard work has also been scuppered by using the wrong engine. So, let's introduce a single-engine supplier as well?
Old 14 Dec 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1484138)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Don't blame the FIA,this is what the teams have wanted for some time.I for one will be glad to see a single tyre supplier.No more "this is definitely a Michelin track"-"Bridgestone are struggling" from the commentary.Also official FIA reply here.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1484139)   #20
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm a little suspicous because Bridgestone have had such close links with Ferrari over the past few years, but I assume if the FIA want one tyre supplier then they will oversee what tyres are allowed in F1 from '07 and hopefully no one team will be favoured.
With only a soft and a harder slick, a inter and a full wet there should be no need for endless days of tyre testing during the season and with tyre varible out of the way it will be down to the teams producing a winning car and even *shock horror* the drivers skill.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1484149)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
If a team's hard work will be scuppered by the tyre supplier, well, that's motor racing.

Some team's hard work has also been scuppered by using the wrong engine. So, let's introduce a single-engine supplier as well?
The engine and chassis are major components for which there is a constructors championship,this is not the case with tyres.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1484150)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I don't think we can keep on being too cynical about the Ferrari Bridgestone link!

I was personally glad that Michelin wupped Bridgestone last year as i thought that they were a incy wincy bit hard done by after Monza 2 years ago when Michelin were told they'd effectively been running an illegal tyre all year and had to start all over again!

However to keep everything on an even keel in terms of judging performance one tyre is sensible enough. I'd rather see Ferrari challenged on an equal footing rather than hobbled by inferior rubber - so if everyone else has got the same rubbber all well and good!

On the other hand we lose the opportunities for wacky races where anything goes, like we nearly had in the mid 80's and early 90's with Goodyear, Michelin and Pirelli

It's difficult to say which is best, one tyre to supposedly help contain costs and cut out unnecessary testing and then hopefully have a close field including Ferrari, therefore continuing to bring the interest levels back up for the TV

or

more than one firm to maintain intense competition and development for the so called purists?
Old 14 Dec 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1484158)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
I was personally glad that Michelin wupped Bridgestone last year as i thought that they were a incy wincy bit hard done by after Monza 2 years ago when Michelin were told they'd effectively been running an illegal tyre all year and had to start all over again!
Just like that terribly unfair ruling against Bridgestone earlier in the year.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1484160)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Just like that terribly unfair ruling against Bridgestone earlier in the year.
I certainly won't miss the bickering.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1484161)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, you are being a bit naive!

It will just be transfered to some other area. Or else it wil be about Ferrari getting preferential treatment.