Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Dec 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1486079)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport Top 10 Sports Car Drivers

We seem to have a thread about this every single year, IMO Autosport have got there top 10 sportscar drivers of the year again wrong. The top 10 looks like this:-

1 - Emmanuel Collard
2 - Pedro Lamy
3 - Tom Kristensen
4 - Max Angelelli
5 - JJ Lehto
6 - Mike Rockenfeller
7 - Olivier Beretta
8 - Fabio Babini
9 - Marc Lieb
10 - Butch Leitzinger

IMO Tom Kristensen should have been higher up the list as should JJ Lehto. Also where the likes of Oliver Gavin, Andy Wallace etc..
Old 18 Dec 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1486088)   #2
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The perpetual debate surrounding best sportscar drivers. I dont read the comic, so what were the parameters used to produce this list, and where is HJ Stuck!!!
Old 18 Dec 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1486089)   #3
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i know Tom won LeMans . but how many races did he do this year ??

Ciao Marco
Old 18 Dec 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1486094)   #4
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how did Collard get up higher than Pedro Lamy? Ok, well he did win the LMES championship, and did get second in FIA GT.. But then Pedro Lamy only competed full time in one series. So he was at a disadvantage according to Autosport. I bet theres a better system to figure this out. IMO, Pedro should be the sportscar driver of the year, afer numerous comebacks in races this year in FIA GT.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1486108)   #5
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Autosport got it closer than they usually do for 2005. These were the major movers and shakers in sportscars this year. Although there are a few questionables. Where is Gavin, as pointed out. And where is Andy? If you include Butch, you have to include Andy! Also, not the ALMS champions (Biela/Pirro) are not on the list.

It seems like they focused on those who were the busiest this year. Collard was in Porsches, Pescarolos and a Riley GrandAm (winning Daytona 24 Hrs.) and he was constantly crossing the pond.

Lamy drove AMs, a BMW (winning Nurburgring 24Hrs.), Ferraris, you name it basically.

Of course we all know why TK is on the list.

Mike Rockenfeller seems like he drove ever Porsche out there this year, also crossing the Atlantic quite a bit. And the guy is blazing fast too.

Anyways, you get my point.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1486136)   #6
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autosport said Kristensen only competed in 2 sportscar races (but had a 100% win record in them) which explained why he wasn't further up the list.

They also said about Pedro Lamy in the top 50 drivers list that he can "legitimately claim to be the world's top GT driver" - anyone think this a fair comment or not...?
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1486142)   #7
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One way or the other, wrong or right, good to see Butch Leitzinger on there!! I think he strongly represents both major sportscar racing series in America.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1486150)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Over the next couple of years we should see quite a few new names to sportcars on these lists, with Audi, Peugeot etc. running factory teams.

Pedro De La Rosa has been linked with Peugeot.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1486261)   #9
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And why isn't McNish in there at all?

Granted he didn't have a great time at LM, but he turned Oreca's season around and gave the R8 some great showings in its last races.

As with many here, I barely ever glance at that mag these days.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1486289)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm surprised that Hyanari Shimoda didn't make the list. Two wins in the LMES, one win in the ALMS, poles, fastest laps, and some great driving moments. Good show from him this year.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 23:57 (Ref:1486304)   #11
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, Hyanari drove well all season, in some cases getting good results. his performance at both Spa and Nurburgring were exceptional.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 00:33 (Ref:1486310)   #12
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My list of the best sports car drivers in the world currently.

1. Allan McNish (GBR)
2. Tom Kristensen (DEN)
3. JJ Lehto (FIN)
4. Hyanari Shimoda (JPN)
5. Emmanuel Collard (FRA)
6. Max Angelelli (ITL)
7. Olivier Beretta (MCO)
8. Johnny Herbert (GBR)(hasn't raced all year but he can drive a sportscar)
9. Bill Auberlin (USA)
10. Butch Leitzinger (USA)
Old 19 Dec 2005, 01:03 (Ref:1486317)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The list is for the best sportscar drivers of the year though, rather than a ranking of who's the best currently, if you see what I mean
Old 19 Dec 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1486551)   #14
Dunlop Corner
Racer

Dunlop Corner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can Herbert still drive? He was great at Le Mans last year, but this year at the Legend Race he looked very much out of shape. I don't think we will see Herbert in a top sportscar again, but i would love to be proven wrong.

And what about Magnussen? He performed wonders when he was at Panoz and has not lost any of that speed. This year he only did 4 sportscar races and won two of them (Le Mans and Petit Le Mans), and also won 3 out of 6 apperances in Grand-Am.
That is of course not enough when compared to drivers who raced full years in sportscar, but if your list is based on who is the best drivers Magnussen certainly should be there.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1486673)   #15
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello,

Having watched LMES, ALMS, FIA GT and JGTC on TV all year I'm rather surprised that James Weaver isn't in the list somewhere. He may be 50 (and I'm there with him) but he is still a blisteringly quick, talented and experienced.

Nick Minassian and Hyanari Shimoda form LMES should also get a look in. Mind you Pedro Lamy's catch up drives in the FIA GT Ferrari 550 was really exciting to watch.

Nick
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1486702)   #16
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Creating a Top 10 list of sportscar drivers every year is a tough one... drivers in our sport run so many races/series with differing results, I can't even begin to think of who I believe should be in the top 10 for 2005!
Old 20 Dec 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1487207)   #17
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
these are my top10, i don't know which one should be 1st or 10th but...

Shimoda (he should have deserved winning LMES, so fast!)

Lamy (top driver of the year IMHO, he has done an unbelievable season with the 550)

Bochut (i really wish he could get some professional team mates for next year)

Collard (even if he is french, driving a french car, for a french team, in a series managed by a french playboy :-) he has done a very good job)

Kristensen (how many time can he win LM?)

Kumpen (he may have the most ugly haircut of the FIA-GT paddock but he has done many good things during the season, i still remember the first race at Monza with the Corvette fighting with the MC12s and the 550, best moment of the FIA-GT season)

Pescatori (he may have done just the LMES, LM for very few hours and Italian GT but he is still top class, GT1 champion of 2006?)

Ortelli (he should deserve to be in the top10 just for the last laps of the 1000km of Silverstone)

Moccia (some great performance always at the whell of the VW Bee... ehm of the Porsche GT3...)

Rockenfeller (another beetle ehm... Porsche driver... very good season for him as well)
Old 20 Dec 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1487538)   #18
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't see much of the Sportscars and GT series this year, but what I did see made me remember the name Hyanari Shimoda. A very impressive driver.

I am glad to see that Collard, Lamy, Lehto, Beretta are being recognised. As I think they still don't get enough plaudits.

I agree with the comments about Wallace and Weaver as being still great but i didn't catch what they did this year so I can't comment on the 2005 performances.

In Australia, we have a guy called Jim Richards. He has driven everything and at 60 years old or whatever it is now, he is still almost unbeatable in a Porsche. He is our HJ Stuck, with out the complete success on the international scene. HJ Stuck, however, is surely one of the greatest of all time.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1487549)   #19
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow
HJ Stuck, however, is surely one of the greatest of all time.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1487619)   #20
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
Kumpen (he may have the most ugly haircut of the FIA-GT paddock but he has done many good things during the season, i still remember the first race at Monza with the Corvette fighting with the MC12s and the 550, best moment of the FIA-GT season)
I know its your opinion, but imho it should be Hezemans who deserves the credit for the C5R highlights this season. The man just has been flying all season, while imho Kumpen is too rough and impatient for a endurance race.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 14:10 (Ref:1494132)   #21
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
They got Max Angelelli dowm in 49 place in their top 50 christmas drivers ..... that just shows you what crap they print !!!