Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Dec 2005, 14:28 (Ref:1491943)   #1
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Popularity of F1

Rated strictly by worldwide viewing audience, the top 3 sporting events of 2005 were:

1) Superbowl (American football) - 93 million people
2) Champions League final (Liverpool vs. AC Milan) - 73 million people
3) Canadian Grand Prix - 51 million people

I don't know about all of you, but #3 pleasantly surprised me ... even more so since it was almost cancelled. Funny ol' world.

Happy New Year to all.
-
Old 30 Dec 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1491946)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually I feel the popularity of F1 is on the wane, with Sportcar racing on the up... Rallying to is doing very well indeed
Old 30 Dec 2005, 14:39 (Ref:1491950)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know how this is measured (computed or whatever) but it doesn't seem to reflect the reality.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 14:46 (Ref:1491956)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is partly my fault, for I watched the Superbowl live this year, but not the Canadian GP!

ss, there is a little way to go first! Personally I hope that Sportscar racing doesn't increase in popularity.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1491965)   #5
QuickSilver
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
I don't know how this is measured ...
Bon, don't you know that 63% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1491971)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Bon, don't you know that 63% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
63%...

Like you just made it up right now ?
Old 30 Dec 2005, 15:15 (Ref:1491984)   #7
QuickSilver
Racer

busted!
Old 30 Dec 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1491995)   #8
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
63%...

Like you just made it up right now ?
You're both wrong, it's 68%
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1492015)   #9
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I have to admit my interest in F1 is dropping with all these stupid rule changes every year and no over taking anymore just made it all a bit dull this year! I'm watching more and more sports and touring cars now and superbikes too....even at 2am in the morning (thankyou very much channel 4!)
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1492019)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Superbowl audience outside the United States = 0.0 people
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1492029)   #11
QuickSilver
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Superbowl audience outside the United States = 0.0 people
however, NRA membership inside the United States = 300 million.
-
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1492032)   #12
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am trying to figure a logical explanation for the Canadian GP numbers to be so high in viewers, but it is escaping me.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1492043)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I am trying to figure a logical explanation for the Canadian GP numbers to be so high in viewers, but it is escaping me.
my guess would be high live viewship in N. America as the race is one of 2 races on at a regular time. also iirc the Canadian GP. was also shown live on C.B.S. (a major US network availible in all houses without the need for satellite). most of the other races are on at 6 am, so people (well me anyways) watch either a replay on Speed channel or from a tape recording (with FOM approval of course).

as for the superbowl... no here watches NFL Europe? its really quite crackin'
Old 30 Dec 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1492082)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I don't really like football, never have to be honest, ive been to a few games, but never really took to it as a child.
I was motorsport mad from about the age of 5. So while all the other kids played football at school, me and my mate Adam used to chat more or less exclusively about F1. It seems as though you are branded as some kind of freak if your a boy and don't like football.

I like other sports though, althletics, skiing, tennis etc.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1492091)   #15
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised that an F1 race is as high up as that. My interest in F1 will probably never decrease, but I can see why other fans are becoming disillusioned with the way F1 is heading.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1492093)   #16
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
51 million?!?! That's unbelieveable.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1492101)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unbeleivable? A1 GP is getting around 30 million viewers per event, if A1 can get 30 million I would think F1 should be able to get substantially more. Click here for more details.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1492123)   #18
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
63 million watched the final of the World Cup soccer in 2002,hard to see 53 million watched a random F1 race,this figure was most likely worked out by Bernies accountants to get a $1 per veiwer kick back from the race organiser.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1492138)   #19
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Actually around 1,300,000,000 watched the 2002 WC Final...
Old 30 Dec 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1492140)   #20
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To get the high figure you take a sample, say 1000 people who just happen to be walking down the road wearing "Molson Canadian Grand-Prix" t-shirts. Ask them if they watched the race.

Calculate the number who said yes as a percentage of the quantity you asked. Multiply that by the population of the world, and hey presto, lots of people watched it, didn't they!

Same goes for Superbowl - though they do an exit poll at the ground, and for some reason they don't get 100%!! (too many Homer Simpson types!)

The Champions League sample was taken from people in Toxteth (a 'nice' suburb of Liverpool) on match night.

I wonder how many watched the US "GP" and then how many will watch it in 2006?

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
8 out of 10 cat owners said they preferred it. Next week, we'll ask the cats!

Rob.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1492154)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Unbeleivable? A1 GP is getting around 30 million viewers per event, if A1 can get 30 million I would think F1 should be able to get substantially more. Click here for more details.
It is all in the measuring. As Ive seen statistica that say that F1` has attracted 20 billions viewers in a year (which dived by 19 races is more than 51 million).

Are we talking seen anything from that race, watched it live, had their eyes open when the race was on. It is all about understanding the measurement, still why bother?

The only thing we can be sertain of is that F1 is dying, infact it is practically dead. Everyone in the world watches Formula Exiplorre.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 23:06 (Ref:1492234)   #22
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lets get it right, F1 is on different level to all other motorsport series, only individual races can compete with an individual F1 race, i.e. Le Mans, Indy 500, Daytona 500, Monte Carlo Rally.

But then again, F1 budgets are in a different league to everything else so huge viewing and spectator attendances are required.

A better baramometer of F1s relative popularity is the collpase in attendance at the German F1 races, despite the Schumacher, BMW, Mercedes influence.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 00:37 (Ref:1492273)   #23
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I read an article in Autosprout c.2001 that explained this: the majority of F1 coverage is in Europe; the Canadian, US and Brazilian GPs are in the evening on Europe time; a lot of people in Europe sit down for dinner on Sunday evening and watch whatever appears in front of their eyes...

Hence, spectacularly high ratings for the N. and S. American races.

Depressing, huh?
Old 31 Dec 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1492451)   #24
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Rated strictly by worldwide viewing audience, the top 3 sporting events of 2005 were:

1) Superbowl (American football) - 93 million people
2) Champions League final (Liverpool vs. AC Milan) - 73 million people
3) Canadian Grand Prix - 51 million people

I don't know about all of you, but #3 pleasantly surprised me ... even more so since it was almost cancelled. Funny ol' world.

Happy New Year to all.
-
It is quite strange to see that the Canadian GP was the one with most viewership. I am not surprised at all to see the Champions League final in 2nd place, but I wonder how many people outside America watched the the Superbowl final.

I am wondering, if these people included a Chinese sport in their survey, would Superbowl still get 1st place??
Old 31 Dec 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1492464)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore
Depressing, huh?
Why? I often miss live coverage of racing becuase I am doing something else.

The thing is to make a sport popular it was to be wached by many people who don't have a deep routed following. These people are also the people more likely to buy cars, mobile phones, cigerettes, cheese of the back of it.

So you could argue that for us enthusiasts being popular isn't so great!