Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 23 Jan 2006, 10:54 (Ref:1507163)   #1
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Subscriptions

Hi folks,

This has probably all been said and done before, but had some ideas that might help lift subscriber numbers.
  • A comparison of the number of subscribers to the number of members on the front page (like is done with the number of posts etc). I'm sure many members are those who go "oh, most other people subscribe so it doesn't matter if I don't"
  • A subscription drive, offering some sort of special goodie over a short period. Perhaps an extra month free, or even just offer warm and fuzzies. Even without goodies, a drive could draw attention and get people mobilised.
  • Some sort of subscriber flag in the poster info section (optional of course). Some people just like to look special.

Maybe none of these are suitable, but they are just suggestions.

Thanks for making Ten-Tenths what it is!
Old 23 Jan 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1507168)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hi Nick, all good suggestions and we'll look into them - I'm not sure we're in a position to do a "drive" just at this moment in time, but the subscriber count and subscriber "flag" are potential options.

What kind of "goodies" do you think people would be interested in. The current benefits can be found here but we're always interested in what people would like to see. We may not always be in a position to provide them, but some feedback on what people think would be a value add gives us somewhere to start!
Old 23 Jan 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1507178)   #3
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think "goodies" (I could have picked a better word!) need to be tangiable. In terms of in a drive situation, simply listing their username on an 'honour roll' page (unless requested otherwise) can be enough to get people to do it.

What about a subscriber's only forum similar to parc ferme? It might end up being underused and not worth the effort, but most subscribers would need limited moderation.

Perhaps in time, depending on volunteer labour and server space being availabe, a wiki-type of motorsport information could be another subscription-only item. With only subscribers there you would stop the 'idiots' and just have to watch the one-eyed supporters of drivers/team/series/etc.

I'd say something like priority support for subscribers, but support around here is exceptional anyway!

I guess it is hard when the bulk of your content is available for non-subscribers to make some people see the benefit. I wouldn't suggest making the current content subscriber only though.

Last edited by Nicholosophy; 23 Jan 2006 at 11:07. Reason: Spelling
Old 23 Jan 2006, 11:18 (Ref:1507186)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
LOL - there was never any intention of making the entire site subscription only - panic not!

Tenths has always been an open site and there is no question of changing that. We started out here as members too don't forget - and had it been a subscription site, we'd probably not have joined and lost out on meeting a lot of very good friends. That's one of the things that makes Tenths...well...Tenths!

The subscriber option is really there for two reasons:
  1. To allow the many people who wanted to make a financial contribution to the site a formalised and user friendly way of doing so
  2. To give people who don't want advertisements the option to remove them for a more or less token fee

The other stuff we threw in because we wanted to ensure that people were getting some additional value, but we would definitely be interested in suggestions as to how we could expand this and make it more attractive.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 17:49 (Ref:1545304)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmmm, I want to re-subscribe but I don't have a creditcard.
Last year I did it with a Euro bank transfer so could I do it through this way again?
Old 12 Mar 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1545322)   #6
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Hmmm, I want to re-subscribe but I don't have a creditcard.
Last year I did it with a Euro bank transfer so could I do it through this way again?
Yup, the details are still the same, if you need them again then let me know.
Old 23 Mar 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1558993)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
What about providing subscribers with the ability to create their own skins? This may well be, indeed I suspect is, utterly unworkable, for a variety or reasons, but just a ponder.
Old 23 Mar 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1559002)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
What about providing subscribers with the ability to create their own skins? This may well be, indeed I suspect is, utterly unworkable, for a variety or reasons, but just a ponder.
If anyone wants their own skin for Ten-Tenths they can contact me and take part in our affiliate scheme for which there is a set-up charge. Offering skins to subscribers is not economically viable due to the work involved in setting them up and maintaining them across software updates.
Old 23 Mar 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1559014)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, I expected it wouldn't be practical.

Am I right in recalling that, with the exception of My Tracks, that posters cannot put up thumbnails?

If that is so, what about letting subscribers put them up in any forum?

I haven't got a clue if this is a good idea or not, .
Old 23 Mar 2006, 23:18 (Ref:1559094)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That would take up alot of extra bandwidth and space, me thinks.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 05:29 (Ref:1559322)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Most probably.

I was also thinking, and this would only appeal to sad gits like me, but like a statistical thing.

Whereby there is a mass of statistical things compiled: on yourself of course, but on other users would be cool if that was possible.

Just like how many posts in what forums, their frequencies, lengths, emoticon usuage, sentence structures. That kind of thing, but on as many things as possible.

Just a great mass of statisical information, and be able to see it in various forms of graphs and charts and tables etc: both the information itself, but also in the form of comparison (both field-to-field and user-to-user, with all the various blends of such entailed).

It is probably just me...but I would love that.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 07:49 (Ref:1559395)   #12
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Am I right in recalling that, with the exception of My Tracks, that posters cannot put up thumbnails?

If that is so, what about letting subscribers put them up in any forum?
The ability to put attachments on posts is already available to subscribers in the majority of forums. If you're using anything other than the quick reply editor then scroll down and there should be an "Attach Files" section with a "Manage Attachments" button. Images up to 800x800 can be attached and will be automagically thumbnailed. Like the one below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01A29025.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	16186  
Old 24 Mar 2006, 07:51 (Ref:1559397)   #13
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
I was also thinking, and this would only appeal to sad gits like me, but like a statistical thing.

Whereby there is a mass of statistical things compiled: on yourself of course, but on other users would be cool if that was possible.

You really need to get out the house more!

I'll take a look and see if there's something available on the next upgrade to vBulletin and the feasibility of implementing same.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1559534)   #14
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
What kind of "goodies" do you think people would be interested in. We may not always be in a position to provide them, but some feedback on what people think would be a value add gives us somewhere to start!
How about a 10-10ths embroidered emblem and a window decal?
Old 24 Mar 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1559542)   #15
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
How about a 10-10ths embroidered emblem and a window decal?
The costs of production and shipping of a embroidered badge would effectively negate the financial aspect of the subscription. Rather pointless for us to have to pay out £8 (or more!) of a £10 subscription in order to produce and ship something physical.

What EP meant in terms of "goodies" would be forum/website "goodies" not physical goodies.

Besides, embroidered patches can already be ordered online!

Now, if there is enough interest in having "Subscriber" pin-badges made and subscribers are willing to pay for one then we would certainly look into it. For example:
  • Year subscription - £10
  • Year subscription & Pin Badge - £15
  • Year subscription & Embroidered Patch - £15
Old 24 Mar 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1559842)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
The ability to put attachments on posts is already available to subscribers in the majority of forums.
I guess I should've checked that before making the suggestion, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
You really need to get out the house more!
Yeah, you are probably right.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1559868)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gordon Bennet, Dutton, this is ten-tenths not the Opta-Index!
Old 24 Mar 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1559869)   #18
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Most probably.

Just like how many posts in what forums, their frequencies, lengths, emoticon usuage, sentence structures. That kind of thing, but on as many things as possible.

Just a great mass of statisical information, and be able to see it in various forms of graphs and charts and tables etc: both the information itself, but also in the form of comparison (both field-to-field and user-to-user, with all the various blends of such entailed).

I run something like that for the chatroom users, see http://tentenths.com/chat/stats.php
Old 24 Mar 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1559899)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Funky.

Going to be interesting exploring that, but will need to give it a more thorough investigation later (trying to not avoid college work too much whilst I am in college at the moment: sort of succeeding, ).

On initial browse looks it looks interesting.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1579376)   #20
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
http://tentenths.com/forum/vbstatextended.php
Old 12 Apr 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1579414)   #21
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
nice!
Old 12 Apr 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1579510)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 12 Apr 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1579671)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Ah, nice one!

Is it going to be expanded?
Old 12 Apr 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1579693)   #24
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Ah, nice one!

Is it going to be expanded?
It's an available "drop in" which I didn't develop so it's really at the whim of the developer if it'll get expanded.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1579705)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I'll have to try and influence the minds of the developers then.

*starts rubbing his temples and making funny noises*