Old 6 Feb 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1516582)   #1
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Data Logger

Quick one.

Has anybody got, or ever used one of the Race Technologies DL1 Data Loggers.

It works off GPS and allows you, without the need of a mass of wiring, to take lap times and split them down into sectors so you can check your speed through each sector. I have made some enquiries about it, but have been upable to find out a few little details. It all comes with a Windows friendly piece of software that even shows you in Red/Green if you went slower/faster on a section of track. The lap can be split down to many many different sectors so you can compare corner entries/exits or take a corner as a whole.

One detail evading me is, once you have the main unit, can it be transferred with ease from car to car. If you had the Antenna and power lead in each car, can the box just be transferred from one to the other?

Anyone know?
Old 9 Feb 2006, 01:57 (Ref:1518498)   #2
FilW
Racer

FilW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a DL90 which is a less advanced version of the DL1. Its very easy to move from car to car, especially if you have another GPS antenna. I can get mine out of the car in a couple of minutes.
The little data I collected last year just told me I never finished but hopefully this year I'll make better use of it!
The software is easy to use and the guys at race technology are helpful if you have any problems.

Last edited by FilW; 9 Feb 2006 at 01:59. Reason: crap spelling!
Old 17 Feb 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1525323)   #3
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We used them for PTW calculations in the Kumho BM's, as a datalogger they're decent and easy to use and as far as my limited use of dataloggers goes, accurate. I also think there are some used ones for sale via the BMWRDC, might be worth an email!
Old 17 Feb 2006, 22:46 (Ref:1525414)   #4
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have got DL1's in our two cars. The actual boxes themselves can be transferred quite easily and I have to say that I think they are an excellent system especially for the money. We have used them for the last 2 seasons and we are still learning with them.
The only thing that I would say is that if you have a low power battery in your car (and no alternator) and you end up having to turn off and on when the system is running it may cause some problems. In our car ( a Formula Renault) when I have ended up waiting on the grid or in the holding area and have switched off and on, sometimes the battery does not have enough power to give a proper feed to the Data logger. There is a solution as Race Tech have now produced a small rechargeable battery so as to isolate the logger from the car battery.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 23:23 (Ref:1525434)   #5
FilW
Racer

FilW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I "borrowed" the rechargable battery from my sons remote control car to power my DL90. I have it mounted on the floor underneath my knees so the only problem I have is turning it on and getting it to start recording while I am sat in the car.(Formula Vee) I think its possible to connect a remote start button but I can manage for the moment as it is.
IMO Good value for money and with the extra capabilities of the DL1 you must be able to log just about anything.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1525502)   #6
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I use a DL1 in my car, and find it to be an excellent unit.