Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 21 Mar 2001, 22:18 (Ref:73416)   #1
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think that Johnny Benson will win a race this year, no doubt. He's got the car to do it, and he's certainly got the skill to do it, so I don't think it will be long before he ends up in victory lane. What do you all think?.
Old 21 Mar 2001, 23:08 (Ref:73427)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the way he is driving at the moment you could be right.....seems pretty hard to win one of these races, need some luck on the day. how about johnny winning at bristol this weekend!
Old 22 Mar 2001, 00:46 (Ref:73472)   #3
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny has the car to win, for sure. But Rusty has owned this race for the last couple of years, and Jeff for the 4 years before that. However, this is one series where racing luck counts for something, especially on short tracks.
I hope he does well,he's earned a win or 2 this year.
Old 22 Mar 2001, 01:07 (Ref:73477)   #4
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fully agree, Benson will win at least one race this year. I'll be shocked if he doesn't, he is overdue.
Old 22 Mar 2001, 09:16 (Ref:73533)   #5
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And he's currently tied with Sterling Marlin for second in the points with 691, only 65 points behind Dale Jarrett. I think that Valvoline Team agrees with him...
Old 23 Mar 2001, 07:14 (Ref:73837)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
why did valvoline leave roush racing, arent they putting as much money into bensons car as they were martins?
Old 25 Mar 2001, 07:47 (Ref:74312)   #7
Grider
Rookie

Grider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gomick
why did valvoline leave roush racing, arent they putting as much money into bensons car as they were martins?
Valvoline bought part of the team that Benson races for, a position that Roush would not do for them. This might be a new way for a sponsor to control a team to portray the image they want. Look for some other big name sponsors to look into this if Valvoline has some good luck with this concept.

Grider
Old 25 Mar 2001, 13:01 (Ref:74341)   #8
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grider is right that Valvoline bought part ownership of Benson's team, also Jack Roush wasn't too worried about loosing them as a sponsor because he had already been approached by Phiser (didn't steal them, they came to him) and that sponsorship is the highest paid on in the history of NASCAR. Unfortunatly, Grider is also right in his assumption that more sponsors, in the future, will probally want to become part, (eventually full owners) of the teams, in order to achieve more control of the teams! When/if this is ever allowed to happen, it will be the worst thing that ever happens to racing, and could possibly kill the sport, altogether! The sponsors already have too much control over things! All one needs to do is look at the "squeeky clean corporate image, robotic, steril, (lack of) personalitys that the drivers are forced to project. They are not allowed to be theirselves, say anything "controversial" etc, for fear of hurting the "coprorate image" and losing the sponsorship! This is not good for the sport! Also, the sponsors have too much imput in who drives the car. The entire fiasco with the Morgan-McClure vs Robby Gordon incident could have been avoided IF the Sponsor hadn't insisted on Gordon being in the car in the first place. The team had wanted either Jermey Mayfield (who they couldn't get) or Kevin LePage (who was available at the time) but Kodack DEMANDED that they have Robby Gordon in the seat! They didn't take into account that his record, in stock cars, was dismal, and that he had/has a history of changing teams and racing series, like I change socks, due to his inability to work with people, and his "I am always right" attitude. No, they wanted him in the car because of his "pretty boy image", because he is photogenic! Sponsors know absolutly nothing about racing, they don't spend time in the garage, know nothing about what it takes to be successful, such as chemistry between team and driver. All they know (and care) about is their bottom line, i.e. MONEY, what is this going to do as far as making money for me! If they are ever allowed to fully control teams, make decisions on what brand of car the team runs, who drives it, who the crewmembers, crewchief, and other personnal are, etc, it will end racing, and sadly, we appear to be rushing, headlong, in that direction!
Old 2 Apr 2001, 02:38 (Ref:76367)   #9
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting closer

Another great showing by Johnny and the Valvoline team this weekend - he's getting closer. He stayed in touch all day, then with a really gutsy call by James Ince and some really gutsy driving for the last 20 laps, he nearly had it! I would love to see this team rewarded with a victory.

I wonder if the sport would really suffer if there is wholesale ownership of teams by sponsers? If the sponsers can't take a stake in the teams and have a strong say in what goes on, maybe they will keep their money and spend it somewhere else in which case the sport may still suffer What if the manufacturers take a big stake in the F1 teams - will the sport suffer, or will the infusion of money push it ahead? Anyone with a crystal ball?
Old 2 Apr 2001, 05:12 (Ref:76407)   #10
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gutsy move for him to stay out while the others pitted. I wanted him to win the race, after Earnhardt Junior was out of the picture.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 2 Apr 2001 at 05:12.
Old 2 Apr 2001, 13:26 (Ref:76543)   #11
John B
Rookie

John B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even though he didn't get the win it was a fine effort to hold 3rd and more than they would have had pitting. Very reminicent of the 2000 Daytona 500 - Benson's got to hate seeing the 88 in the final laps!
Old 10 Apr 2001, 23:22 (Ref:79344)   #12
hornytoad
Rookie

hornytoad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think we're selling johnny a little short. he's still got a legitimate shot at the driver's championship---though he does need to get that first win soon. come on, johnny!
Old 12 Apr 2001, 01:50 (Ref:79711)   #13
dei3fan
Rookie

United States
Stockbridge Ga.
dei3fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that Benson will win soon,he's done an amazing job so far. I also agree with Lee about the sponsors taking over teams and the consequenses it might bring about. I see great potential for damage to the sport. emfa I don't think you need to worry about what happens if we don't allow the sponsors to control the teams.They need the exposure a popular sport like Nascar brings.we just don't need them controlling the sport.They'd probably turn it into the WWF or equivalent.