Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Feb 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1527341)   #1
OSTKURVE
Rookie

United States
Los Angeles
OSTKURVE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi's Claim

In a recent article I read on ITV's website Giancarlo Fisichella claimed that the Renault team devoted all it's resources to developing last year's car to cater to Fernando Alsono's driving style.

Naturally Alsonso refuted Giancarlo Fisichella's claim. Fisichella's statement struck me as being quite odd because I have never heard of a company building a car around it's star pilot's driving style.

However I am aware of the fact that individual pilots prefer different set-ups & that the spare car is generally set-up to the desired specification of the star pilot.

Therefore on occassion when the number 2 pilot damages his car during qualifying & has to use the spare car he oftenfinds it difficult to adapt to because it is set-up for the number 1 pilot.

So is there any truth to Fisichella's claim?
Old 20 Feb 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1527352)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSTKURVE
In a recent article I read on ITV's website Giancarlo Fisichella claimed that the Renault team devoted all it's resources to developing last year's car to cater to Fernando Alsono's driving style.

Naturally Alsonso refuted Giancarlo Fisichella's claim. Fisichella's statement struck me as being quite odd because I have never heard of a company building a car around it's star pilot's driving style.

However I am aware of the fact that individual pilots prefer different set-ups & that the spare car is generally set-up to the desired specification of the star pilot.

Therefore on occassion when the number 2 pilot damages his car during qualifying & has to use the spare car he oftenfinds it difficult to adapt to because it is set-up for the number 1 pilot.

So is there any truth to Fisichella's claim?
Could be, the 2001 Williams was apparently built to suit Ralf Schumacher's tastes, and the 2002 and 2003 car was designed to suit Montoya's more oversteery nature.

I would not be at all surprised to see Fisi leap ahead of Alonso this year.

In fact I went to put a bet on Fisi for a Melbourne win in 2005, but I got to the betting shop in town and the system was down as I think a practise session was taking place, (so they take all the odds down and put the revised odds back up once its over) so I couldn't put it on. I was going to stick on £20, it was odds of 16-1, he won, gutted. Oh well.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1527362)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It happens more than often, Fisi's claim should be considered true, specially now that Alonso is on his way out.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1527374)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure someone will correct me, but didn't Fisi sign for Renault fairly late in the season? If so it's understandable why the car was built around Alonso.

Sometimes it happens by accident, I remember the Ferrari drivers commenting how the 2003 car suited Rubens' style almost perfectly.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1527381)   #5
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that each of the 75 points Fisi lost to Alonso came as a result of the car being developed for Alonso rather than Fisi.

If Renault decide to favour Fisichella this season, they won;t win the championship because Alonso I believe is a better driver.

If Ferrari manufactured a car that suited Barrichello better, then it can;t have been intentional
Old 20 Feb 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1527406)   #6
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe Fisi's point was true - there've been stories in quite a few places. Though not all of points Alonso had over Fisi were because of the car being developed in Alonso's favour
Old 20 Feb 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1527411)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Is his point true ?

YES

Is renualt Right in doing this ?

DEFINATELY

Why ?

Obvious reasons that I dont want to start an argument over but it has something to do with talent
Old 20 Feb 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1527466)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You think Fisi has more talent than Ferry?
Old 20 Feb 2006, 23:10 (Ref:1527506)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
the other way round man with items that I can never find on my keyboard
Old 21 Feb 2006, 07:34 (Ref:1527689)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I really think Falv had a key role in deciding which driver to be the team's favourite (provided Alonso had a great season and wholly deserved what he got).
This year his attitude is supposed to be changed, after Alonso's story with Ron dennis.
Therefore I'm very curious about his aspect of the incoming season.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1527761)   #11
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dare say that in 2005 the renault was designed around Alonsos style, the mclaren around kimi's style, the ferrari around a turtles style, and the honda around Jensons style.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1527767)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
All the other teams/drivers had no style at all.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1527878)   #13
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
I dare say that in 2005 the renault was designed around Alonsos style, the mclaren around kimi's style, the ferrari around a turtles style, and the honda around Jensons style.
The 2006 Williams is designed around BAR's check book.

Old 21 Feb 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1528026)   #14
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would not find this to be unbelievable for a couple of reasons. First, Alonso was delivering the results for the entire season. I can see why he would get the benefit of the doubt. Secondly, he Alonso, has more time with the team therefore there is more input from him to begin with.

Drivers can complain about how one is getting better treatment than the other but if they were really contributing more to the team they would not be on the short end of the deal. If Fissi goes faster and provides better feedback then he will be the prefferred driver. That is how MS did it! That is how most #1 drivers do it.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 14:56 (Ref:1528069)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fond your post a bit optimistic neilap; actually Fisi started the season dominating the first race; curiously, after that boom, instead of getting credits, he started getting flawed cars to drive.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 17:19 (Ref:1528151)   #16
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 1986 Lotus Renault and 1995 Benetton Renault are 2 cars i can think of that were designed especially round the number drivers style.
But in both cases driver No.2 wasnt confirmed until quite late.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1528164)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
I fond your post a bit optimistic neilap; actually Fisi started the season dominating the first race; curiously, after that boom, instead of getting credits, he started getting flawed cars to drive.
He was obviously given Alonso's car by mistake for the first race.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1528249)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
one point no seems to have made yet is, maybe Fisi just said it beacause he just needs to have a reason for his lack of consistancy compared to his teammate last year.
imo, i dont see his comment as a personal attack of Renault policy, rather i see it as an attempt to appease his own mentality after being out driven by his teammate last year.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1528674)   #19
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb

But wasn't Alonso actually faster than Fisi during the race. He had to fight his way up the field. Had be started closer to Fisi I think he would have beaten him.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 04:53 (Ref:1531706)   #20
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not something new.

Alonso has been with Renault in 2004 while the '05 car is being developed. He would have contributed to the feedback and development of the car while Fisichella is still not with Renault.

While reliability of the car is not something that "suits a drivers style", an oversteery or understeery car may suit one driver better than the other (usually suiting the stronger driver) and may give that driver the added confidence to push all the way to the limit while (as it seems in Fisichella's case) the other driver have to spend more time working out the car to adapt to his own style.

Remember when Michael left Benetton, and Alesi and Berger went in..they commented on how different and difficult the car felt. None were bad drivers, it's just that Michael's style requires a car with a sharper turn in and a lighter rear (iirc).

Similarly, Ralf and Montoya requires different style, making the car suit one guy better than the other in a particular race, and sometimes over the season.

Hence, sometimes teams may choose to hire two drivers of similar driving style, for example BAR and Toyota are two teams where their drivers are relatively closer in style. It makes testing, setup and development easier.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1531885)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
You only have to look at on-board camera shots to see that the driving styles of Fisichella and Alonso are very different. Fisico is very smooth, whereas Fernando is much more aggressive, more so than you would expect to be the most efficient, but last year it clearly was.

This year, with the reduction in power and the need to maintain momentum, it may be that the smoother drivers will come into their own. Button is another to have claimed that his style will suit the new cars. However, with Alonso being as good as he is, who's to say he won't be able adapt his style to suit?