Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Mar 2006, 00:46 (Ref:1564678)   #1
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rotating races - Bernie's new proposal

Speaking before the Australian Grand Prix kicked off, Bernie Ecclestone raised the idea that races might be rotated in order to stimulate some "big event hype". Saying that there are plenty of countries willing to spend the cash to bring Formula One but with only a limited number of races in a season (up to 20). He is quoted as saying:

Quote:
"I thought of it after I saw the closing ceremony in Melbourne," he said. "Not just Australia, I thought generally maybe that's not such a bad idea. You'd have a set number of races, but not a set number of venues. The venues would alternate - maybe every three years there's a race. That way, people would get a big hype for it when it happens."
Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/news/motors...441213226.html
Old 30 Mar 2006, 01:05 (Ref:1564692)   #2
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm sure the circuits would be well pleased with this idea... NOT
Having to maintain a track for the once in three year event ?

I'm sure this would also increase ticket prices...
Sheesh...

DKGandBH
Old 30 Mar 2006, 01:35 (Ref:1564708)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Old 30 Mar 2006, 04:19 (Ref:1564786)   #4
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
It could lead to olympic like "Bidding" by venues, which would lead to the "venue electors" receiving all sorts of gifts, favours and, enticements (ohh look that incredibly sexy girl has a huge bag of cash, for me?).

But if they could keep it honest it actually could be good, some venues struggle to attract big crowds every year, might be "more special" if its once every 2 or 3 years for them. And some venues are "temporary tracks" on airports thru parks and street races.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 07:50 (Ref:1564920)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Just how many tracks has BE got in mind that will enable this to be done on a fair basis?
Old 30 Mar 2006, 07:55 (Ref:1564924)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is a terrible terrible idea, what was it again?

Ah right, I've read it and considered it now.
Some circuits will hate it (the ones that lose their race every year) and some will like it (the ones that gain a race). Same for the fans near those circuits.
You won't be able to go to the same race every year, but you will be able to try many different races and they'll be a bigger sense of event. Race tickets going up? Well I'm not sure they will, but getting to races is very expensive for those fans that don't have a race in their country. So for a lot of fans the cost comes down.

Teams will have less data for each circuit they go to and it'll be (slightly) harder for them.

Variety is the spice of life. Many countries want GP. Many good circuits want GP. If they aren't good F1 doesn't have to go back. Go for it.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1564931)   #7
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ummmm I've been predicting that this is what will happen for a couple of years. Bet it'll only apply to the European circuits though and not his nice rich non-European new friends.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 08:04 (Ref:1564933)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could be interesting (much as I hate to admit it ) and while were at it why not also extend it so that when it's due in a country it's not guaranteed to stay at one circuit, allow the circuit with the best overall package for the punter to have it (thats where my plan falls over cos I forgot the punters arent the driving force of this sport) , the circuit that presents a good and varied support race package, good clean campsites and decent infrastructure to get you in and out of the circuit
Old 30 Mar 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1565108)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having a race every 2 years at a circuit would be a good system - plenty of countries would be prepared to keep a track up to date for biannual racing, especially in countries which have a strong local racing series. It could be the only way to keep every country happy.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 11:39 (Ref:1565110)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It could be interesting, but I think Adam pretty much says what I was thinking...
Old 30 Mar 2006, 15:46 (Ref:1565265)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not terribly keen on the idea to be honest.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 16:01 (Ref:1565276)   #12
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
Ummmm I've been predicting that this is what will happen for a couple of years. Bet it'll only apply to the European circuits though and not his nice rich non-European new friends.

Wouldn't surprise me. Bernie has been going on at Silverstone and Spa to up their game and improve their facilities or risk losing their races. Can't see events like Sepang, Bahrain losing theirs somehow!
Old 30 Mar 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1565313)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
If it were to happen, I believe it would have to operate on a consistently biennial principle. The tracks would need to know they will be used for their next three events (a total of 4 years in time), for example.

It could enable tracks that struggle to meet a certain someone's extortion racket to spread the cost over the two years instead of one, provided a certain someone would accept that (and wouldn't double the fees seeing as potential venues can only get one race every two years, rather than possibly a continuous contract - arguably increased scarcity, rather than decreased?).

I have often pondered this from the point of view of nation's that may want two races, as opposed to the entire calendar. Would the US, for example, benefit from such a rotational system - perhaps even involving three events (west-central-east)?

Basically, it seems to me, there is good reason to being very cautious in introducing it to the F1 world, but potentially it could be good were it to function properly. The former because I do not trust Bernie, whilst the latter because it would provide more variety in nations/venues (which is all good, IMHO).
Old 30 Mar 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1565340)   #14
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the only way that some European circuits are going to keep their races.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1565344)   #15
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think every year the european GP should be alternate and there should be a Guest GP every year, so for instance, one year the Euro GP could be in Germany and the next it could be in Austria or any other country in Europe, same with the Guest GP, just with other countries.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1565365)   #16
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no problem with the European GP alternating, mainly because in this way it could be truly a European race but for any other event I think Bernie would be off his rocker. While I do admire the man he has been churning out a load of trash over the last few months, as has Max. The best so far being that lowering the cost of F1 to allow more teams to compete & then limiting the number of teams to just 1 more than we have now-brilliant idea-NOT!!!

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1565401)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
And what of the countries that only have one F1 accepted circuit? Britain just has Silverstone. Belgium only has Spa, and there's no substitutes for that circuit. Monaco, well, that one will have to be every year. I'm not sure Italy has an alternative to Monza. The US only has Indy atm, and Canada just has Montreal (Mosport will never happen with all the off-camber stuff.). I don't see South America having an acceptable venue besides Interlagos.

The way I see is there are 19 events, counting Belgium. You can alternate the German GP, which frees up one slot, and drop San Marino, which opens another. So, that leaves 17 events, with a stated maximum of 20 a year. India and South Africa are likely to come on line by 2009/2010, but who else is honestly up for a new event in the foreseeable future? Russia has fallen through, as did Mexico. I don't see there being many, if any, more races in the Middle East or Southeast Asia. South Korea seems the most likely in my mind, but it would have to be another new circuit as the Champ Car course will be too short. Now, I know this next one would never happen, but it would be "interesting" to see F1 at Macau.

The rotations that would make sense to me within a given country would be as follows. Spain could do Barcelona and Jerez, or possibly Pinto (I think that's the name) if it is ever built. France could do Magny Cours and Paul Ricard. Germany has Hockenheim and the Nurburgring. Hopefully Australia can utilize Adelaide along with Melbourne. Japan can swap between Suzuka and Fuji. A couple international rotations that have occurred to me would be Eastern Europe and Northern Europe. The Hungaroring could trade with Brno (Hungary/Czech Republic), and Assen or Zandvoort could rotate with Anderstorp, the Gotland Ring, or Mantorp Park (Holland/Sweden).

It is also important to note that Malaysia and Bahrain, I believe, are only going to be around as long as those governments see fit to bail those races out.

Honestly though, I prefer the current system, if for no other reason than I'm really not sure about some of the new potential venues that could pop up.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1565411)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think the suggestion is to rotate within a country. Rather rotate between countries.

You only rotate with countries and circuits that have the correct facilities and then there is no issue.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1565418)   #19
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is just "bernietalk" to the Circuits to keep their act sharp and their wallets open.

Can one man have too much money?
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1565423)   #20
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Bernietalk means "How can I improve my pension fund". If you think about it, countries/circuits would clamour for a race every three years and Im sure Bernie would charge three times the price. If countries go for it, who can blame him? Hes probably one of the worlds best entrepreneurs, and we all fall for it and pay the price in entrance fees and telly rights. Me too..
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1565427)   #21
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I brought it up because it had been mentioned that some countries might want to rotate between venues to split the costs of hosting a GP.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1565429)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
So if it isn't a bad idea because it is different it must be a bad idea because Bernie thought about it and he has money? Bernie thought of Sid Watkins too. 'san ou'rage oi tell yer.
Is it a good idea or not? Pretend Mother Teresa thought of it
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1565434)   #23
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Good idea; most of us are jealous of Bernies wealth
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1565436)   #24
speedfreek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
speedfreek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was looking aroung the FIA website but i couldn't find this info...

How many tracks have an FIA grade 1 lisence so they can host F1?

Using my highly dependable guesswork i reckin there could be about 30-39 tracks which could. In this case swapping the whorst venues like China once evey 3 yeasr won't be bad, but classics should remain for longer periods, say missing a race once evey 5 years.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 20:09 (Ref:1565453)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Or after each season the FIA hold a poll for the the masses, in which we vote for which tracks we want kept. Perhaps it could be that any track that attains over x-% support stays, or the top 50% stay, or whatever.

Those that should replace them could be part of the poll, with, as far as is applicable, the same selection system used for these as was for those to be dropped.