Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 12 Apr 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1579779)   #1
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rollinson (Marina Circuit Chief Executive)
Esteemed guests, journalists and friends. We have some big news.

For next year, we'll be extending the existing circuit. We have announced a deal with the Formula One management, that has presented us with the golden opportunity of hosting the British Grand Prix, confirmed for the next ten years. The new contract will expire, in 1997.

Hence, this will be the last ever race weekend around the old, classic styled Marina Circuit, so please - enjoy it.

Next year, we'll be back for Formula One. A longer circuit, Grade A facilities; and world class racing. We can't wait.

Alan Rollinson (Marina Circuit Chief Executive)
19/7/1986
This. Is the story, of the Marina Circuit.

History

The Marina circuit, located in the small village of Leekham, Yorkshire, England - is situated around a picturesque boating lake. The lake's activities as a profit making organisation go way back into the 1920's, when a Mr. George Sanderson, Mayor of Leekham opened a boating promenade at the lake. Charging two and six a ride, the boating community flourished, and by the mid 1930's it had become a hotspot for competitive rowing competitions, hosting the talents of athletes the world over.

With the war, the activities remained, yet the old factory situated to the south west of the lake, was turned into an army training facility for young British troops. During this time, the lake acted as a training facility for the soldiers and became one of the most reputable barracks in the country.
After the war, the barracks became derilict - and the lake became a rowing hotbed yet again. In 1952, George Sanderson - whom had purchased the assets of the lake after his tenure as mayor came to an end, died - and without an aire, the facilities use came to an abrupt end.

For ten years, the facilities lay dormant. The old promenade became a hotspot for vandals, and for young couples; wishing to "explore the spring".

In 1962, Sidney Rollinson a motor-racing enthusiast and former soldier graduate of the training facility, brought the area - and began to harbour plans, for returning the lake to it's former glory. And more.
After years of rebuilding work, 1967 saw the re-opening of the lake as a top level rowing facility, Marina hosting the 1968 British Rowing Championships, as well as the 1970 International Rowing Championship.

As part of the rebuild, Rollinson had commision the rebuilding of the tricky road network around the lake, originally with the sole intention of bettering access to the lake. He built all of the roads, that would be used in both variants of the later motor-racing circuits; and with that he hatched his dream.

1972, saw Rollinson gain planning permission to convert the old barracks into a pit paddock area, and he decided to use some of the viewing platforms, used for the rowing events as grandstands. With this, he drew out an initial plan for his circuit, and this is the one that stuck. 1973, saw work commence on creating the nessecary safety standards in order to run Formula 2 and Saloon Car races around the all new, Marina Circuit.

Rollinson had penned, a 2.7 mile circuit, with an average racing speed of 174.2 mph, and in 1974 - the circuit hosted it's first race weekend. The 3rd July 1974, saw Jean Pierre Jabouille in the Ecurie Elf - Alpine-BMW/Schnitzer take the inaugural F2 race win around the circuit.

It was an immediate success, with drivers praising the quick, smooth and hilly layout. Sidney Rollinson, was a very happy man, but he was having problems. A sufferer of Alzheimer's desease, Rollinson began to deteriorate in the beginning of the 1980's and his son, Alan Rollinson took over operations of the circuit in 1981.

Sidney, died on the 4th April 1982 in hospital. His ashes were scattered on the start/finish line of the circuit, it is said; they drifted over towards the pit/paddock area, the area on which the barracks he once trained in, once stood. After his death, a statue was erected of him inside the Texaco Sweep.

Alan Rollinson, much like his father had big plans. He wanted to bring Formula One, to the Marina Circuit. With an impeccable safety record, Rollinson applied to host Formula One on the existing 2.7 mile layout in 1984, but an accident at the end of season 1983 F2 race put paid to those ambitions.

In the accident French driver Jacques Abou and three spectators were killed, when on going through the flat-out Texaco Sweep, Abou made contact with eventual champion Jonathan Palmer's Ralf Racing car, launching the Frenchman over the catch fencing and into a small, restricted area of grassy banking, where three friends had illegally gained access.

Alan Rollinson, on the back of that was told; that "if Marina wants to host a Grand Prix event then they'd have to improve the safety standards of the circuit." It was also suggested, that they lengthen the circuit to around 3.2 miles.

Determined, Alan Rollinson and his management team - set about designing a lengthier configuration, with greater safety measures. They drew up a proposal, whereby instead of bending left at Stafford - the new circuit would curve right along existing roads, forming an s-bend. Before continuing along more existing roads, rejoining approximately where the Lakeside Chicane had previously been.

The plans then involved, the creation of the Devil's point - a signature hairpin in place of the now ill-famed, Texaco Sweep, and finally it was proposed, that there be a re-profiling, of the final two corners.

Rollinson's plans, also included state of the art specatator, pit and medical facilities, which would almost certainly qualify the circuit for Formula One standards.

In late 1985, the plans were submitted to the council, and they were duly accepted. Almost immediately, talks began with F1's management, and the deal was finalised before the 1986 F3000 (F2) race around the Marina Circuit. Alan Rollinson, then made that fabled statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rollinson (Marina Circuit Chief Executive)
Esteemed guests, journalists and friends. We have some big news.

For next year, we'll be extending the existing circuit. We have announced a deal with the Formula One management, that has presented us with the golden opportunity of hosting the British Grand Prix, confirmed for the next ten years. The new contract will expire, in 1997.

Hence, this will be the last ever race weekend around the old, classic styled Marina Circuit, so please - enjoy it.

Next year, we'll be back for Formula One. A longer circuit, Grade A facilities; and world class racing. We can't wait.

Alan Rollinson (Marina Circuit Chief Executive)
19/7/1986

And so it was, the new circuit opened in time for the 1987 season, and it was local hero Nigel Mansell who had a now famous duel with Williams-Honda team-mate; Nelson Piquet who took the victory. In subsequent years, the event became highly popular; the setting and circuit providing both a great racing spectacle as well as a esteemed list of winners.

1987: Nigel Mansell (GBR) - Williams Honda
1988: Ayrton Senna (BRA) - McLaren Honda
1989: Alain Prost (FRA) - McLaren Honda
1990: Alain Prost (FRA) - Ferrari
1991: Nigel Mansell (GBR) - Williams Renault
1992: Nigel Mansell (GBR) - Williams Renault
1993: Alain Prost (FRA) - Williams Renault
1994: Damon Hill (GBR) - Williams Renault
1995: Johnny Herbert (GBR) - Williams Renault
1996: Jacques Villeneuve (CAN) - Williams Renault
1997: Jacques Villeneuve (CAN) - Williams Renault

MORE TO COME IN SECONDARY POST

Old 12 Apr 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1579790)   #2
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1997, Silverstone which had been the eternal home of the British Grand Prix before Marina had taken over in '87, regained control of the race. It secured, a twenty year deal with Bernie Ecclestone, and it looked - like Marina was out on it's ear.

Modern Day

However, a deal was struck for the circuit to host the European Grand Prix, from 2000 onwards; and the signing of that contract was the final act that Alan Rollinson did for the circuit. In 1998, Alan had been diagnosed with Cancer - and in 1999, signed the contract before resigning.

He sold the circuit to Jonathan Palmer's new company; "Motorsport Vision" who took over control of the venue. Since then, Rollinson has made a full recovery - but no longer is involved with the running of the circuit. In 2000, Formula One made it's return to Marina; as host of the European Grand Prix. As it stands, the contract to do this runs out in 2012, but it is fully expected to be continued beyond that.

The roll call of Marina Euro GP winners are, to date;

2000: Michael Schumacher (GER) - Ferrari
2001: Michael Schumacher (GER) - Ferrari
2002: Rubens Barrichello (BRA) - Ferrari
2003: Ralf Schumacher (GER) - Williams BMW
2004: Michael Schumacher (GER) - Ferrari
2005: Fernando Alonso (SPA) - Renault

The Future

There are plans afoot, to further extend the course. Something that Jonathan Palmer is keen to offer out, to the track designing community at the Ten-Tenths motorsport forum;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Palmer (Motorsport Vision Group
Marina, is a stable and brilliant race track. It is naturally ampitheatric, it takes on a role of excellance within the Formula One community. We'd like to extend on that excellance.

At current, there is a vast amount of unused space in the area in between the Fosters corner and the Devil's Point hairpin. We want to utilize that space for more race track action. At current there are no existing roads here, so whatever you create will be built as permanent race track. This will accompany a re-surfacing of the now aging road way that the rest of the track was built on.

We here at MSV, have devised this "blueprint" that you must work to in order to present your views. You must design new extended track within the pink box. There is one stipulation, and it is that it must rejoin at the Devil's Point.

We hope that a new circuit, will be ready for the 2009 European Grand Prix so get cracking, we haven't got long!

Thankyou, and good Luck!

Jonathan Palmer

MSV MD
---

All Images

Original Circuit (1974-1986)

http://img15.imgspot.com/?u=/u/06/10...1144876149.PNG

http://img15.imgspot.com/?u=/u/06/10...1144876372.PNG

New Circuit (1987-2009?)

http://img15.imgspot.com/?u=/u/06/10...1144876434.PNG

http://img15.imgspot.com/?u=/u/06/10...1144876489.PNG

Your Chance (2009 -)

http://img15.imgspot.com/?u=/u/06/10...1144876559.PNG
Old 12 Apr 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1579837)   #3
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, tons of deatail there dude.
Dunno if what i've done is right but ive added another hairpin which preceeds a few flowing corners into the tricky Rollinson corners, before late braking into devils point. Ofcourse it's FIA grade 1, and lakeside hairpin (sadly) has tarmac runoff, new barriers and marshal posts before and after every corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Image1.jpg  
Old 12 Apr 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1579853)   #4
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
That's bang on mate Good job. If you wanted, you could turn the Devils point into a ninety degree corner.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1579871)   #5
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers, and there'll be no banging on me thats for sure you chav
I kinda like Devil's as it is though
Old 12 Apr 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1579888)   #6
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
haha you wanna watch yo'self runnin yo mouf! yer!

(better stop the personal jokes, we might get in trouble. brappp)

Anyway, yeah fair enough mate. I like your attempt, which of the two original circuits do you prefer?
Old 13 Apr 2006, 07:05 (Ref:1580096)   #7
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, what a story. Makes it an interesting challenge, that's for sure. I'll look into it this weekend. A bit busy these days before Easter.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1580147)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bloomin' eck Paul. When'd you have the time to make all that lot up?!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1580153)   #9
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great stuff, but the links at the bottom aren't working

EDIT: They are now!!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1580191)   #10
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
Bloomin' eck Paul. When'd you have the time to make all that lot up?!
He's always doing them P, he doesn't have a life so when he's not on here he's making more up
Old 13 Apr 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1580227)   #11
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
hahaha, no - i'm just really ill at the minute, wasting hours at home, so I thought I'd do this. It wasn't the plan to do that story untill I came to do presentation, I just wanted a story behind the lake really.

Thanks for the comments dudes!

Richard, shush ya mush! haha
Old 13 Apr 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1580255)   #12
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
He's always doing them P, he doesn't have a life so when he's not on here he's making more up
Quote:

oooohhhhhhhhh!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1580256)   #13
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
I like the 1974-86 circuit, simple, but works
Also, i will not "shush ma mush" unless you bride me with chocolate or seomthing... Get better soon dude, it's too many late nights, that's what it is.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 10:37 (Ref:1580268)   #14
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Here's my attempt. I've gone for a twisting challenging section coming out at Devil's Point itself, therefore keeping it as a sort of hairpin. Also the original course has been kept for some reason, and I've also slightly changed a couple of the other corners (if that's allowed...) to make it more flowing
Old 13 Apr 2006, 10:40 (Ref:1580269)   #15
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Not bad mate, I love what you've done to Devil's Point!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1580270)   #16
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Me too,he's done that wierd kinky thing that i love, it's a low corner but if you get it right you can go through it v quickly, would be great to watch from there.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1580274)   #17
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Quote:
Me too,he's done that wierd kinky thing that i love
This is a public forum Rich

I do love the corner though .
Old 13 Apr 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1580279)   #18
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
I know!! I just realised what i said! Oh dear...
Old 13 Apr 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1580394)   #19
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Moving On...

Here are my proposals for the Marina extensions;

Above: Here you see my proposals with full Grandstand/Facility detail.

Above: And here, it is with corner names.

The new section of circuit starts at the new Lakeside hairpin, which over the years will have been a chicane, a ninety degree corner and now a hairpin. This then leads onto a straightaway before two sweeping corners at Rollinsons and Promenade, lead nicely back onto the small section before the Devil's Point.

This increases the circuit length upto 4.4 miles.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1580396)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rockmunky: Bit of a faux pas there ROFL
Old 13 Apr 2006, 14:05 (Ref:1580416)   #21
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
... esteemed list of winners...

1995: Johnny Herbert (GBR) - Williams Renault
I suppose you meant 'Benetton-Renault'?
Old 13 Apr 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1580427)   #22
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
haha, yes I did. That's a copy paste job.

Ooops.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1580505)   #23
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My two go's!

Last edited by nickyf1; 16 Sep 2006 at 14:11.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1580580)   #24
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My track...
Attached Thumbnails
Marina.png  
Old 13 Apr 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1580618)   #25
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's my go! I have to say that it is a very restrictive area to work within to get a good extension, but I suppose that is what makes it a bit more realistic! My extension leaves the current track as Fosters, making this corner a fast kink. There is then a long straight o the new corner, a fast lefthander that gets tighter through the corner. This leads onto another short straight with a kink, taking you back onto the current circuit via a fast right at Lakeside. I did find it hard to do a good edit that kept the fast flowing nature of the circuit, although I am quite pleased with this effort.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion