Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Apr 2006, 14:40 (Ref:1589743)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Alonso sees title race as a four way fight

Fernando has been quoted as suggesting the title fight will be a four way fight between himself, Fizzi, Schuey and Kimi.

http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/head...20092429.shtml

He reckons Jenson Button will be capable of winning races.

He also says he'd prefer to take on one rival only for the crown as it's difficult to concentrate on several strong rivals!

Interestingly he's excluding Montoya from his chief opposition, but so early in the season?

Hmmmm....
Old 20 Apr 2006, 14:56 (Ref:1589756)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a two way fight between Alonso and Raikkonen, as I see it.

Ferrari will be too erratic, as will Fischella.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1589778)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We havent seen anything so far to suggest that mclaren will be consistent.. They have been hot and cold in 2006 as well..

Right now I can see the title between Renault and themselves... As long as they have an advantage they need to build a lead and Alonso is good at that...
Old 20 Apr 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1589858)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I think Fernando is spot on. The Ferrari resurgence is coming, and maybe, just maybe, they'll give Fisi a car that works most of the time. Raikkonnen? He's too good not to be considered a threat.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 16:37 (Ref:1589883)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yeah on the basis of what he's witnessed so far he is basically right.

But although JPM had a bit of a wild one in Oz, he was consistent in the first 2 races in that he did what he could with what he had (regardless of what Kimi had under him) and I get the feeling that he could be about to really come on strong as he did in that 'nearly' year in 2003.

I don't think Fernando should dismiss him yet.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1589961)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's a one way street quite frankly.

Nobody will challenge Fernando this season.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1590070)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed knowlesey - everything we've seen so far suggests that Fernando and Renault have the best of everything, and are too strong to be beatable on a regular basis. McLaren look to be the next best - nobody else has really matched them over a full race distance, although I wonder what a trouble-free Williams run could do, at least in the short term.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1590074)   #8
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think he has made an error in discounting Monty, he has the pace and he can win races, admitadly he must calm himself and keep it on track and if he does that and the car is reliable he WILL be a big threat this season IMO
Old 20 Apr 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1590081)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Montoya, Kimi et al....all will take a win or two.

But Alonso is just relentless....and error free.

Kimi and JPM make mistakes from time to time, as evidenced in Australia when both made mistakes.....
Old 20 Apr 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1590163)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Certainly Fernando is in the driving seat.

Whilst things are certainly not over, it is early days, it is clear that the other teams abolutely cannot afford to make anymore mistakes for the rest of the season.

This is where their downfall will probably be: they will make mistakes, Renault won't (like a couple in total).
Old 20 Apr 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1590170)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually Fernando is so consistent that i think even 14 pts will be a mountain to climb for the rest. As i said before for the moment it is Renault vs themselves if they give Alonso a reliable car which seems to be the case then there is no stopping him
Old 20 Apr 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1590191)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Meh, well, I cannot be so defeatist so early on.

It is a rather tough challenge, of that there is no doubt, but there is a long way to go yet.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 21:52 (Ref:1590258)   #13
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No package is better than Renault at the moment. But I am just as sure that Fisi does not match Alonso.

At the beginning of the season, I thought that Mc Laren would have done better, than they are doing
Old 21 Apr 2006, 06:10 (Ref:1590487)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer

Interestingly he's excluding Montoya from his chief opposition, but so early in the season?

Hmmmm....
Well, had it not been for...
  • A. A dodgy pit stop
  • B. A mistake that even the great Michael Schumacher made in Oz

He would have been second in the championship, so he has to be included in the race for the title.

I believe the title is Alfonso's, with the McLaren boys in outside contention, followed by Michael and Fisi.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1590839)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
The only driver who can beat Alonso, is Alonso himself.

I don't believe that any other team or driver will consistently challenge Renault / Alonso over the course of 2006.

The only thing that can cost him the title is a dramatic loss of form, and that is highly unlikely, given his consistency and level-headedness.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1590841)   #16
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
..... but FA's "conservative" approach is a direct result of the points system. You can't blame him for thinking logically..... but.....

It does me bother me that FA admittedly will not necessarily fight for a win (at least not until he is convinced that he has thw WDC wrapped up).

F1 needs to revamp the points system to reward the race winner appropriately.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 13:01 (Ref:1590853)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltafan

At the beginning of the season, I thought that Mc Laren would have done better, than they are doing
At the beginning of the season i thought that Mclaren would do much worse given their engine problems.However the engine doesn't seem too bad and it is other things that are letting them down.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1591106)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Alonso's approach doesn't bother me at all Kirk, as it provides some variation in life. It seems to work too!

I can understand why it may bother people though.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1591116)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I can't......he is trying to win a championship, so why try and throw it away?
Old 21 Apr 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1591124)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
But i dont think Alonso really drives too conservatively except for a few races last year when Mac were doing well... you look at Imola last year he couldve so easily given up the race and let Schu win and protect the 8 pts and no one wouldve blamed him but he didnt.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1591130)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I think at that stage he probably felt the win was necessary, as it seemed Ferrari were coming strong.

Although late in the season, when he was more conservative, he still kept the pressure on at crucial times. Brazil qualifying was a stark example, Kimi cracked.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1591133)   #22
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Nurburgring as well....
The fact is Alonso put pressure when he needed to and was always there to pick up the pieces when Kimi and Mclaren screwed up
Old 21 Apr 2006, 19:11 (Ref:1591136)   #23
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd see it as Fernando / Kimi with Schuey and Ferrari being close but not *that* close. Can't see Fisi stringing it together over the course of the season.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1591158)   #24
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The point I was making has nothing directly to do with FA. At the moment, he just happens to be the beneficiary of a poor point system; a system that simply does not reward enough points for winning a race. And one which tends to deprive the fan, when not all drivers are vying, at almost any cost, for that precious race win. It doesn't happen all that often, but I'd prefer that it never happen.

A bit off topic, I admit, but that system directly affects the drivers approach. FA, in an almost bullet-proof car and a fast one, can afford to 'take it easy' and settle for podiums to win the championship. If, by not winning this weekend, he were to lose 4 or more points, his attitude towards a single race and aggressiveness would heighten.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 20:03 (Ref:1591179)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I agree with your point about the system, for sure.

I think a good compromise would be to change the scoring to 10-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.