Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 May 2006, 03:03 (Ref:1598475)   #1
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is 9 the new network for V8 Supercars?

A couple of recent actions/announcements by The Artist Formerly Known As Avesco are leading me to suspect that V8 Supercars are close to a deal with the 9 network.First their continued inflexibility over the Sandown 500 date suggesting that the network will have to honour the letter of their current contract while disadvantaging a much bigger part of their audience (AFL) suggests that they are not interested in setting up a long term relationship with a network that just was part of a mammoth AFL TV deal.Secondly their attitude to a new contract at the Grand Prix has changed in the last couple of weeks.It appeared that after winning concessions regarding merchandising rights,race lengths and sanctioning fees that they were set to agree to a 3 year deal.Now they are talking about calendar uncertainty which is a joke considering they were able to race a week after Clipsal this year,they changed the date and continent of one of their races in February and there is still no final resolution of the Sandown date by May.Maybe 9 have proposed that they don't appear at any race meetings shown on other networks(10 have F1 until 2011).Maybe I'm wrong and all this is just another example of the manipulation and skullduggery by The Artist and his henchmen.We shall see.
Old 1 May 2006, 04:44 (Ref:1598493)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 52
Maybe 9 have proposed that they don't appear at any race meetings shown on other networks(10 have F1 until 2011).
Only problem with that is what will happen with the round on the Gold Coast?
Old 1 May 2006, 04:57 (Ref:1598496)   #3
Pirtek_Falcon-1
Racer

Pirtek_Falcon-1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I certainly hope not. 9 will just **** the fans over like 7 did. I happy with the supercars staying with 10.
Old 1 May 2006, 05:00 (Ref:1598497)   #4
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Peter Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Only problem with that is what will happen with the round on the Gold Coast?
WHO CARES ,not me.....
Old 1 May 2006, 05:16 (Ref:1598501)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I meant in terms of covering the event.

Pirtek_Falcon-1: Why people assume that 7 or 9 or whoever will "**** the fans over" is beyond me! Seven or Nine will only get the TV rights if they offer a better deal than what they currently have with TEN, where is the downside in that? Or is this another sign that some can't get over something that happened TEN years ago (and forgetting the years of good coverage prior?)
Old 1 May 2006, 05:38 (Ref:1598508)   #6
Jason Whittaker
Rookie

Jason Whittaker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just not sure how a Nine deal would work. They're committed to telecasting rugby league into Sydney-Brisbane at 4pm on Sundays. The V8 coverage would have to wrapped up before 4pm, and unless you cover the races live it will be hard to package it up and put it to air that early I would have thought.

But there has been some sort of commitment from V8SCA that they won't take a bigger cheque over poorer coverage. So you just have to hope that if Nine comes up with an offer that they'd make it work and not see coverage in the biggest and third-biggest markets reduced to late-night replays...

I'm not sure Ten will give it up without a fight. They've invested an awful lot of money into the sport and it works well in their target demos.

Either way, there needs to be a deal ASAP. Especially if it's with Nine. They'd be starting from scratch and need time to prepare for what are pretty complicated broadcasts.
Old 1 May 2006, 05:54 (Ref:1598511)   #7
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nightingale
WHO CARES ,not me.....
Couldn't care less to the power of 10 [or 9 ]
Old 1 May 2006, 06:00 (Ref:1598513)   #8
cmifsud
Racer

Australia
Australia
cmifsud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope that if 9 gets the V8s, they get Neil Crompton as well
Old 1 May 2006, 06:01 (Ref:1598514)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Whittaker
I'm just not sure how a Nine deal would work. They're committed to telecasting rugby league into Sydney-Brisbane at 4pm on Sundays. The V8 coverage would have to wrapped up before 4pm, and unless you cover the races live it will be hard to package it up and put it to air that early I would have thought.
Can you imagine Sandown or Bathurst if the telecast had to finish by 4pm? If it is a long race (rain/safety car intervention) they rush through the podium presentation as it is!
Old 1 May 2006, 06:04 (Ref:1598517)   #10
cmifsud
Racer

Australia
Australia
cmifsud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There would be no problem with Bathurst (I don't know about Sandown) because the NRL doesn't run on Bathurst weekend (Final is the week prior)
Old 1 May 2006, 06:34 (Ref:1598530)   #11
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nien could go to 6.30 for the NRL.....they did that a few years back.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 1 May 2006, 07:13 (Ref:1598545)   #12
ezepze
Racer

Australia
south 'o' th border
ezepze should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And if you are unhappy with the 10 commentary team, a move to 9 will mean they will have to begin the thawing out of Daryl Eastlake almost at once to have him in fine voice for the start of precedings.

THE HORROR
Old 1 May 2006, 07:20 (Ref:1598546)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmifsud
I just hope that if 9 gets the V8s, they get Neil Crompton as well
Crompton needs a move to 9 and then to SBS to complete the rounds of the Australian networks (he's of course commentated on the ATCC for ABC, Channel 7 and Channel Ten)

....if only Mike Raymond had accepted Channel Ten's offer to commentate on the V8s in 1997, he'd have a complete set by now (commentated motor racing for ABC, then Channel 7, and in 2004 appeared on the Channel 9 and SBS Procar telecasts).
Old 1 May 2006, 10:08 (Ref:1598627)   #14
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nine have a lot more money then ten and the proof is in the pudding with the afl. 9 do a high quality job, they have the best commentators, the best graphics and the best coverage. 10 seem to do it on a cheaper scale. They have some good comentators but some terrible ones as well. There graphics are terrible and there camera work can be shocking at times. i think if 9 got the v8s they would do a fantastic job all round. If they do get it, it will be a better package then what we have now with more money (which they will get anyway, its worth a lot more then it was 5 years ago).
Old 1 May 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1598648)   #15
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
Can you imagine Sandown or Bathurst if the telecast had to finish by 4pm? If it is a long race (rain/safety car intervention) they rush through the podium presentation as it is!
The regs already cover a specific time by which the race must finish - whether the laps have been completed or not. They'd gete around it by starting earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
Nien could go to 6.30 for the NRL.....they did that a few years back.
Bet you find that the ocntracts they now run under prohibit them doing this though.
Old 1 May 2006, 11:52 (Ref:1598695)   #16
BJAY
Racer

Australia
Canberra, Australia
BJAY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just leave it with Ten. I like them. I can't see V8's getting a better deal, fan wise, not money wise, with a switch to another channel.
Old 1 May 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1598704)   #17
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best thing about V8's on 10 is that it guarantees no clash between V8's and The Simpsons. Now that would be a tough choice seriously!
Old 1 May 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1598715)   #18
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
preference based on bias not fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hrt Kid
nine have a lot more money then ten and the proof is in the pudding with the afl. 9 do a high quality job, they have the best commentators, the best graphics and the best coverage. 10 seem to do it on a cheaper scale. They have some good comentators but some terrible ones as well. There graphics are terrible and there camera work can be shocking at times. i think if 9 got the v8s they would do a fantastic job all round. If they do get it, it will be a better package then what we have now with more money (which they will get anyway, its worth a lot more then it was 5 years ago).
Nine have more cameras at their Friday night game - there Sunday coverage is the same as Ten.
Why will the coverage be worth more - Ten & Seven have AFL, Nine has NRL.

Nine has shown no interest in national coverage of the Friday night AFL game - on delay of hours in Q, NSW & WA - will they offer the same quality coverage to the V8s.
Old 1 May 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1599035)   #19
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope it stays with 10. For all the moaning and groaning some forum members do about the coverage, it's 1000's of time better than when 7 had the rights and I think 10 do a fantastic job televising it.
Old 1 May 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1599047)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
The regs already cover a specific time by which the race must finish - whether the laps have been completed or not. They'd gete around it by starting earlier.
But that finishing time is driven by the tv requirements isn't it? If only Sandown is affected it wouldn't be too bad, but I would not like to see Bathurst start earlier.
Old 2 May 2006, 00:03 (Ref:1599063)   #21
Alan 52
Racer

There are some advantages with a move to 9. 1.Saturday afternoon telecasts-9 has no sports commitments on Saturday afternoon and could show a 2 hour telecast featuring qualifying/shootout/race 1.This beats 10's 2am hour. 2.Support race coverage-The potential exists for most support races to be slotted into 9's existing Speed Machine program.This beats 10's worse than pathetic cancellation of Trackside. 3.Telecast times-The Sunday telecast would be 1-4pm to fit in with 9's NRL coverage-This gives the possibility that race 3 would be live. Imponderables 1>Commentary_Please no Eastlake.9 are currently using Wade Aunger and Grant Boyden for the Utes and these two along with Crompton(who may stay at 10 because of F1) or the probably soon to be retired Brad Jones would be an excellent line up. 2-Test Cricket.V8 Supercars would not be able to get a clause in their contract giving them precedence over Test Cricket which takes up 3-4 weekends on 9 in November-December.In some years these dates are known to Cricket Australia a year in advance but sometimes they are not finalised until April particularly when they are dealing with the Indian Cricket Board.Although the overall structure of the calendar would not have to change there might be some uncertainty about the dates of the final rounds.

cricket

board
Old 2 May 2006, 00:25 (Ref:1599069)   #22
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
But that finishing time is driven by the tv requirements isn't it? If only Sandown is affected it wouldn't be too bad, but I would not like to see Bathurst start earlier.
Yes it is driven by TV - but what would it matter if it started earlier for either Sandown or Bathurst?

Sandown is currently - what? a 12:30 pm start? So a start at 11:30 or noon wouldn't be so bad.

Bathurst - remember the race used to start at 9:30 and, not 100% sure, way way back wasn't a 9:00 am start used?

TV wise neither starting earlier would have any impact as the stations are already on the air covering the races at that time any way - OK Sandown not before noon - but it could be done without a major impact.
Old 2 May 2006, 01:10 (Ref:1599078)   #23
Alan 52
Racer

Bathurst was a 9am start when it was a 500 mile race.The time was changed to 9.30 in 1973 at the same time it went to 1000K's.In 1978 the start was delayed to 10am by fog and then remained at this time after that.In 1997 when IMG took over it was changed slightly in that the warm-up lap and not the race began at 10am.The issue of Bathurst race times is irrelevant to the 9 contract issue as the NRL season is over by then.Sandown is a different situation as it currently falls in NRL Finals time when 9's football coverage starts at 3.30.The race may have to start at around 11.30am.
Old 2 May 2006, 01:45 (Ref:1599083)   #24
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PERHAPS THE EINSTEINS AT 9 can pull strings to get safety car deployment back to sanity and it can get back to being an endurance race AND finish on time.
Old 2 May 2006, 01:49 (Ref:1599084)   #25
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
That would require a clean out of key officials more than a TV broadcaster change.