Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 May 2006, 14:07 (Ref:1609551)   #1
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Podium Celebrations

I don't know if I'm being petty, but I'm starting to get a bit tired of the way the podium celebrations are going. At the Nurburgring, all the Ferrari people ignored Alonso and left him to it, and then today, Schumacher didn't even look like he wanted to join in with the Renault boys. I can kind of understand it, but I'd rather see everyone joining in together and just enjoying the fact that they've all achieved some measure of success in the race.
Old 14 May 2006, 14:34 (Ref:1609576)   #2
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A sharp contrast from the GP2 race where teammates who had just collided on the last lap still could enjoy the moment on the podium.

But there are some serious rivalries going on in F1 and much is at stake. It is difficult to turn off that emotion and competitveness after less than 10 minutes since the race conclusion.
Old 14 May 2006, 14:37 (Ref:1609579)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wouldn't get too uptight over it to be honest.

It has been like this for years!
Old 14 May 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1609585)   #4
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
It has been like this for years!
Oh, I know. As soon as I wrote my original post I started thinking of plenty of other examples from last year, the year before etc.

But we're not talking Fisi/JV style fallings out. I know they're fighting for the championship, but they're also intelligent men and know that some days they'll win and some days they'll come second.

It's just irritating. Sorry to use the comparison, but even footballers can shake hands at the end of a match. Anyway, I'll calm down again.
Old 14 May 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1609587)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Michael and Fernando congratulated each other. Do we want them to pretend to be over the moon about coming second? It is a competitive sport. They were not churlish and not ecstatic.
Old 14 May 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1609590)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pforrester
Sorry to use the comparison, but even footballers can shake hands at the end of a match. Anyway, I'll calm down again.
They did do this. Fernado had a small hug with Michael after getting out of the car and so did Flav with some nice words between them it seemed. So they did this.
Old 14 May 2006, 14:47 (Ref:1609593)   #7
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
They did do this. Fernado had a small hug with Michael after getting out of the car and so did Flav with some nice words between them it seemed. So they did this.
Good point. I just don't find it satisfying watching one driver scamper off to the other side of the podium on his own.

I'm going to shut up now anyway, otherwise I'll just keep digging!
Old 14 May 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1609599)   #8
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think these days more than ever the time on the podium is used by the drivers to congratulate their teams - or give their team mate a good soaking if there's two of them up there.

The drivers have already congratulated each other by then, on arrival in parc ferme. I think there's a very healthy mutual respect going on between Michael and Fernando - they both know the other is the only bar between them and another world title.
Old 14 May 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1609634)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At Nurburgring "Ferrari people ignored Alonso", At Barcelona "Schumacher look.."?

I don't know.. but the Ferrari people were caught on TAPE clapping and cheering subtly when Alonso was collecting his cup at Nurburgring, and if there was any gloomy faces, it surely din't come from guys in red.

There's a mutual respect between Alonso and Schumacher, between Ferrari and Renault.
Old 14 May 2006, 17:03 (Ref:1609670)   #10
littlefarny
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
littlefarny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They both push each other hard, and I think because of Flav and Shumie's relationship they all get on better than most.

But any more than a hug and a good handshake would make it seem less of a sport and more of a procession; it is a sport.
Old 14 May 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1609740)   #11
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The King of Spain hugged them all which was nice!
Old 14 May 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1609810)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think they are behaving nicely, fighting each other for WDC. Just remember when it was embarassing to see 2 enemies together in the podium, like Senna vs Prost, just to mention some...
Old 15 May 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1610691)   #13
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!

Just I was going to remember the same thing. The Prost-Senna podiums era was ominous. Even the winner of them usually didn't show much happiness. They seemed "heroes" engaged in a unvoluntary grand quest.

I remember when Michael began to win regularly I was gladly surprised by his cheerful ways. Also Benetton seemed a lighter team that those "Dark Empire" serious men of McLaren and Williams ... Then MS turned to the Red Side and engaged with another "evil" team But, anyway, Ferrari's men somehow retained the cheerful style of celebrations and gestures of Benetton (not surprising thinking about the transport of key people from Blue to Red team). It is interesting because Todt or Brown are not exactly Jerry Lewis...

I always have seen Flavio as a two-sided F1 character: in one side I can *imagine* he searching for something bordering the rules (or outside) to gain advantage for his team (BTW, a tradition in F1). On other side, he looks more atractive mediatically, more "italian" than some others team principals who looks exactly as one imagine a "baddy" in a Hollywood movie. Briatore produces in my mind the idea of a movie's pirate, he even enjoys nice female company (companies)

I have said it before but I find Dennis' bitter pseudo-smile when he loses a delicious act from a "bad" character. And Frank Williams is, of course, the perfect image of Mr. Scrooge, always lifeless, colder tha clod and apparently thinking in how reduce the salary of his driver while watching a race

RD and FW are two of the greatest men in F1 history. I am just joking about their wonderful bitter images in TV
Old 15 May 2006, 19:03 (Ref:1610876)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
I remember when Michael began to win regularly I was gladly surprised by his cheerful ways. Also Benetton seemed a lighter team that those "Dark Empire" serious men of McLaren and Williams ... Then MS turned to the Red Side and engaged with another "evil" team But, anyway, Ferrari's men somehow retained the cheerful style of celebrations and gestures of Benetton (not surprising thinking about the transport of key people from Blue to Red team). It is interesting because Todt or Brown are not exactly Jerry Lewis...
Now those teams doesn't seem to be the "Dark Empire", more like the "Old gray empire"...
Old 16 May 2006, 06:01 (Ref:1611181)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!

Last edited by Dutton; 16 May 2006 at 06:06.