Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 May 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1618654)   #1
Not Rated
Rookie

United States
Chicago, IL
Not Rated should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Random thoughts (mainly cameras!!!)

So what was the point of the V8 regulation? It reduced straightline speed but increased cornering speed so the effect on safety is dubious. It certainly did not reduce costs as the teams had to spend millions of dollars developing new engines. And as Hobbs mentioned on Speed today, the same result (in terms of performance as the new V8) could have been achieved with a $20 restrictor plate. The only positive thing it did was to introduce a bit more uncertainty into the races due to engine reliability. But overal, I feel it was a big waste of a regulation change.

Looking at the inbuilt camera on the new (Apple) Macs, technology has to be already advanced enough to allow a camera somewhere on top of the helmet. Talking about a first-hand experience...that will definitely be it. Plus, I feel Bernie is lagging more and more behind the frontier of broadcasting technology. Hopefully, with the new agreement and better revenue-sharing, there will be stronger incentives to improve the viewers' experience.
Old 25 May 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1618673)   #2
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Rated
Looking at the inbuilt camera on the new (Apple) Macs, technology has to be already advanced enough to allow a camera somewhere on top of the helmet. Talking about a first-hand experience...that will definitely be it.
i saw a thing a few weeks ago on setanta sports(irish channel) where they had kovalainen going around during testing with a helmet cam.it was really cool,you could really see him being moved around inside the car and fighting with the steering wheel
Old 25 May 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1618869)   #3
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i thought the change from v10- v8 was noise pollution
Old 25 May 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1618873)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 25 May 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1618883)   #5
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
well it does say random thoughts the thread.................
Old 25 May 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1618900)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It certainly wasn't noise pollution....because the V8's are even more painful on the ears than the V10's were! They were introduced to slow the cars down, which is stupid when you think about it.

As for the helmet cam, they do this in Champcar occasionally....they had one inside Paul Tracy's helmet for the Houston race and you felt the bumps and lack of visibility, it hurt to watch!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 25 May 2006 at 20:56.
Old 25 May 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1618989)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Point 1 is well covered elsewhere on the forum and (sorry) I have tired of it. I guess you could make some noise pollution comment about the amount of threads we have However point 2 is relatively uncovered and interesting.

Not so long ago Bernie was at the forefront of broadcasting technology, except people didn't want it (not free). I think it is a little unfair that he gets accused of being behind now. However why isn't it in wide-screen - it really should be. And soon it should be in HD. That would be great.

On the specific helmet cam idea. I am not keen. As knowlesy said it wasn't that great in ChampCar. I prefer the 'static' cockpit shots - those are best for seeing what is going on, the driving techniques, the cars abilities, the lines taken and the action on track. The helmet cam is, for me, a gimmick.
Old 25 May 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1618992)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I got the impression knowlesy was suggesting the helmet cam to be a good idea. I think it could be good, provided it is as well as the usual airbox cam. If it was an either or situation, then, undoubtedly, I would rather stick with the airbox one.

Regarding Bernie Vision failing, yes, indeed, that was a bummer. I wanted to get that when it was around, but, sadly, it was not possible, .
Old 25 May 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1618994)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My favourite onboards were always those "over the shoulder" ones we had mainly in the mid 90's. I always liked them for some reason and still do. Must be nostalgia....

Bernivision....sigh....it was good while it lasted.
Old 25 May 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1618997)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Dutton, it was a bit of a spaz out from me in my post......it has now been edited. I'm not doing well tonight.

Maybe I should just go to bed.....

The helmet cam initially was fun, but it kind of wears. The main problem is you can't see anything at all.
Old 25 May 2006, 21:04 (Ref:1619000)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
The main problem is you can't see anything at all.
That is my problem with it. Dutton I accept the either/or argument, but the helmet cam is practically pointless IMHO! So having both is great as long at they only show the good one (or maybe a 95%-5% split)!
Old 25 May 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1619002)   #12
Rick Raducha R
Rookie

United States
Connecticut
Rick Raducha R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am no expert on the knowledge of reducing cost, but I thought the "development" of V-8's in F1 was a step to reduce engine size and weight...getting the sport more inline with motors in todays cars, and to assist with maintaining costs for 2008 and beyond. A lot of people are working hard on cost reduction (except Red Bull) so that the sport of F1 can continue to grow in popularity.

And that popularity is growing wild.

What sport and athlete could attract over 250,000 for a 1 hour "show" like Reneult's program did in Spain a few days ago.../ It was super for racing.
Old 25 May 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1619003)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I really like the cameras on the front wings. Oooh, and also the rear-lookng ones on the rear-wings (or that sort of location at least).

What about the ones that point back at the drivers from the steering wheel area? They are totally weird, and I have never really seen the point of them...

Last edited by Dutton; 25 May 2006 at 21:09.
Old 25 May 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1619005)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes they are pointless!

Front wing cameras - they just cause controversy.

Rear facing cameras - good when used properly.
Old 25 May 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1619009)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Thinking in terms of gimmicks (ala the helmet cam), what about one either side of the lollipop?

There are some seriously tiny cameras out there.
Old 25 May 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1619012)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

What about a wheel spoke cam?

Some of the pitcrew have helmet cams don't they? Again, succeeds in doing nothing other than making you feel either dizzy or bored at looking at a wheelgun.
Old 25 May 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1619018)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would like to see the return of sidepod mounted cameras, directed forwards where you can still see the side of the drivers' helmet, fond memories of Prost trying to overtake Senna at GP's like Silverstone 1993 to name an example.

They always seemed to give a good feel for the speeds of the cars back then.
Old 25 May 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1619021)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[Random thoughts]

Cams showing the tyres, the feet and the pit babes...

[/Random thoughts]

What's the point ?
Old 25 May 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1619023)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Ooooh, or an airgun cam!
Old 25 May 2006, 21:23 (Ref:1619029)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
I would like to see the return of sidepod mounted cameras, directed forwards where you can still see the side of the drivers' helmet, fond memories of Prost trying to overtake Senna at GP's like Silverstone 1993 to name an example.
That's the cameras I meant.....great weren't they?
Old 25 May 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1619033)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Yeah, they were.

What about a camera mounted on a camera? Or a camera positioned to show us another camera?

The possibilities are endless.

On a more serious note, what about this: positioned where the current airbox camera is, but it has the capacity to swivel 360 degrees?
Old 25 May 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1619061)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, I remember, cool stuff.

I remember too, in a japanese GP, the cameras showingthe work of the driver's feet...
Old 26 May 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1619433)   #23
littlefarny
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
littlefarny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think one on the refuellers head would be good, so he and the team can understand where that driver normally positions the car, and to see how the line up etc...
But cameras for the mechanics would be boring for the non-techie.

I was also thinking this morning about RFID tags down the pitlane, that flash lights on the lollipop when the cars coming in.
Aswell as some kind of signal when the tires are on (possibly by Wi-Fi or Bluetooth), so there is some kind of digital signal for the lollipop man when it's all done.
Old 26 May 2006, 19:16 (Ref:1619720)   #24
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
A camera on a helmet at the time was a genius idea.... But what is the point.. My Fav Camera is in the drivers view.. Feels like im racing...
Old 26 May 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1619757)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Champcar put a camera inside the drivers helmet........wierd!