Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 9 Jul 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1652605)   #1
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is nuts!!! The drivers who were born and bread in the NASCAR series aren't going to draft with Montoya -- he'll be left hung out to dry time and time again -- especially because he comes from the ultimate series - F1 -- Just a horrible decision on Montoya's part.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 07:58 (Ref:1652646)   #2
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This is nuts!!! The drivers who were born and bread in the NASCAR series aren't going to draft with Montoya -- he'll be left hung out to dry time and time again -- especially because he comes from the ultimate series - F1 -- Just a horrible decision on Montoya's part.
I disagree. It seems everyone in NASCAR is glad, proud about the news. The only drivers who I have heard comment on it, 4-time series champion Jeff Gordon (he is kind of like the Michael Schumacher of NASCAR) and Mark Martin were very positive about it. If he can prove himself in practice, the Gatorade qualifying race he should have no trouble finding drafting help in the Daytona 500. He also will have two teammates.

Of course, that is only for the first race. After a while they will grow accustomed to him and drafting only matters in 4 of the 36 races anyway.

Original post copied from: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ft#post1651961

Last edited by Adam43; 10 Jul 2006 at 18:36. Reason: Removed all irrelevant parts of the original post when copied to this new thread on this drafting.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1652696)   #3
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Montoya is doomed to fail in NASCAR because the NASCAR boys are not going to draft with him -- This is a chance to show up a Formula 1 driver and make NASCAR and NASCAR drivers look to be the best - which of course is ridiculous -- I'm telling you, they're going to make it very difficult for him to have any success. This was the worst move Montoya could have made.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1652711)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
These threads were split from this thread http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85670 after an intereting discussion point was raised by Bluewolf.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 18:52 (Ref:1652724)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bluewolf, I suspect Montoya knows how hard it will be, hence he took the challenge.

Some drivers may be very hard on him of course, but generally the real players will be professional I expect. Although, on the other hand, they will hardly baby him to the end!

Lert's just wait and see.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1652777)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a newcomer you never get any drafting-partners anyway, regardless of where you come from. Getting drafting help at Daytona and Talladega - the only two tracks where it really matters - is a sign of respect, and that respect is not something you're given, it's something you earn.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1652862)   #7
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would JPM be any different to any other rookie?
Old 10 Jul 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1652899)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
dunno I think in the current clmate his team mates will be forced to draft him if in position...

Can't wait to see this though..
Old 10 Jul 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1652912)   #9
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Tony Stewart come across from Indycars? He seems to do ok for drafting partners.

It'll all come down to positioning. If someone wants to catch and pass the leaders in the last few laps, and Montoya is there, they'll draft with him. Noone's going to throw a potential race win away just to show up the hotshot new guy.
Once they get to the front, I reckon a little bump 'n' run would work better on JPM than Dale Jr anyway
Old 10 Jul 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1652924)   #10
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You can tell from his driving and reaction in previous races that he isn't really interested in F1 anymore, just in it for the money this year. I though him oving to F1 from Champ Cars or whatever it was, was a good thing for F1, bringing in viewers from a country where no other F1 driver had been born.

Its the same with NASCAR, he's a big name in America, and he wants to keep it like that.

I can't see him however going back to Champ Cars. Indy would be good. If Da Mata can win the CC championship, go to F1, do not very well, and go back to CC, and not do very well again, then it hasn't really worked out, this might be the same case with Monty. Its like Wilson coming back to F1, it won't work, because he never really did anything well, although he never really had enough time to prove his worth.

Will be good to watch though, I think a few F1 fans might get in to NASCAR from next year. Perhaps a NASCAR F1 at Indy would be a mega weekend.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1652941)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think you have the wrong thread.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:46 (Ref:1653285)   #12
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, when it comes to drafting, no driver can fully count on any other driver. They all will hang you out to dry if they see a better opportunity at any time on the track. I have no doubt that the drivers will treat Montoyo just as well as any other driver. On the Nascar forums that I frequent almost "all" the fans have been excited about Montoyo coming aboard. Brian France should pay Montoyo's salary instead of Ganassi for the additional fans that Montoyo is bringing to nascar.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1653437)   #13
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drafting only matters at 4 out of 36 races. At the other tracks its only a small portion of what makes a driver successful. He may be left out at first, but thats because he's a rookie and experienced drivers don't like to typically draft with rookies. Beyond that he will probably get help from his teammates and if he makes friends with other drivers he will be able to count on their help also.

I don't think any of the other drivers will go out of their way to harass him. There are a lot of open wheel and sports car guys who race in NASCAR now and they don't have any problems. The racing in NASCAR has advanced a lot and a lot of the drivers are truely on a world class level as opposed to the sterotypical image of backwards southern hicks.

J.D.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1653825)   #14
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloopy

I don't think any of the other drivers will go out of their way to harass him. There are a lot of open wheel and sports car guys who race in NASCAR now and they don't have any problems. The racing in NASCAR has advanced a lot and a lot of the drivers are truely on a world class level as opposed to the sterotypical image of backwards southern hicks.

J.D.
I hope you're right about this floppy - we'll have to see how it pans out -- I'm sure you're right about it becoming more open to and with drivers that come from different racing disciplines -- but I just don't know to what degree that is.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1653826)   #15
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloopy
Drafting only matters at 4 out of 36 races.
J.D.
thank you king.
glad you updated this discussion.
only the 'plate' races are draft races. daytona and talladega, 2 races each.

and i suspect jpm will do well there. he will immediately be among the best of the pack in terms of ability.

right now, tony stewart is by far the best cup driver. jpm is also that damn good.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1653858)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
When a rookie first gets into drafting isn't he a good person to draft with? He will be easy to shake off at the end!
Old 11 Jul 2006, 21:53 (Ref:1653927)   #17
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by botsquad
thank you king.
glad you updated this discussion.
only the 'plate' races are draft races. daytona and talladega, 2 races each.

and i suspect jpm will do well there. he will immediately be among the best of the pack in terms of ability.

right now, tony stewart is by far the best cup driver. jpm is also that damn good.
I would take exception to that. Tony is a close 2nd to Jeff Gordon.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1654226)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
I hope you're right about this floppy - we'll have to see how it pans out -- I'm sure you're right about it becoming more open to and with drivers that come from different racing disciplines -- but I just don't know to what degree that is.
I doubt it will be a problem in the NEXTEL Cup series - the majority of the drivers there are way too professional to put an outsider in the wall just for the sake of doing so.

Of course Montoya will get into several accidents during the year - that sort of comes with the territory in NASCAR, especially when you're a rookie (remember Jeff Gordon's demolition-derby rookie season, for example?) - but I'm sure they will consist of racing accidents and rookie errors, not a result of deliberate actions on the behalf of other drivers.

Well, unless Montoya is leading with a few laps to go and he has Jeff Gordon on his bumper, that is
Old 12 Jul 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1654355)   #19
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Well, unless Montoya is leading with a few laps to go and he has Jeff Gordon on his bumper, that is
Or Matt Kenseth, Tony Stewart, Kurt Bush, Kevin Harvick, or most of them except maybe Bobby labonte or Jeff Burton.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1654408)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Ok, let me revise that - as long as Montoya has Bobby Labonte, Jeff Burton and Mark Martin (who is one of the classiest drivers out there but assuming he does the partial 2007 Cup schedule he's hinted at, of course) behind him, he'll be ok
Old 12 Jul 2006, 12:35 (Ref:1654432)   #21
cjent
Rookie

United States
FL & NC, USA
cjent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who Will Draft with Montoya?

Anyone who needs his help will draft with him IS the correct answer. He is not the typical "rookie" and the Good Ole Boy's respect him. I think it is a coup for NASCAR brought to them by Ganasi.
Racing is marketing based now, and this is great marketing.
And guess what? He's not leaving Damiler-Chrysler.
Cjent
Old 12 Jul 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1654636)   #22
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a feeling that Daimler-Chrysler played some sort of role in all this. Especially since McLaren and the Everham NASCAR team are working together now. It makes sense that there would be some carryover between their relationship and the other Dodge NASCAR teams.

J.D.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1654701)   #23
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
If it wasn't for the fact that Montoya and Ganassi have been close friends ever since Montoya drove for Ganassi in Champ Car, I would agree, but because of the, err, "friends factor", I'm not so sure.

I'm positive Daimler-Chrysler is absolutely delighted with the news, however, and interested in supporting.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1654765)   #24
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What's so special in Jeff Burton and Bobby Labonte? (some posts back)
Old 12 Jul 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1654806)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erki
What's so special in Jeff Burton and Bobby Labonte? (some posts back)
Just like Mark Martin they are both classy drivers who rarely wreck someone else.

Tags
jpm