Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 26 Sep 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1720690)   #1
Allen Mead
Racer

United Kingdom
St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex
Allen Mead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Brands Race Day 24th Sept

Evening all. Kicking off on a negative, I couldn't be a*rsed to sort through all 476 snaps but have found a few that I quite like.
Got to Brands around 9am and made our way up to Druids. Saw the HUGE fencing around the outside and some dude with a ladder affair and though sod, I don't stand a chance with the 70-200 so opted for Druid infield.
It's been a long time since I welded a camera in anger and the first few shots proved it, all blury - knackers!
Anyway, strted to get the hang of it and by the end of the day I was getting good at 1/160th pans of cars coming out of Druids at about 60 - 70mph, went down to 1/60th and totally lost the car in the blur lol!

#1 - Jordan entering Druids in his SEAT Cupra, 1/400th f6.3 ISO200

#2 - Matt Neal approaching Druids, 1/400th f7.1 ISO400

#3 - Tom Chilton entering Druids, 1/400th f14 ISO400

#4 - Photog

#5 - BTCC Safety car exiting Druids, 1/320th f8 ISO400 (Not a bad shot for me for a 1/320th, lol)

#6 - Tom Chilton exiting Druids, 1/320th f9 ISO400

#7 - Colin Turkington exiting Druids, 1/320th f10 ISO400

#8 - I'm bored! lol
Old 26 Sep 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1720691)   #2
Allen Mead
Racer

United Kingdom
Here's some more;

#9 - It's been a long day! one for the boys and girls in the orange!

#10 - Tom Chilton locking up again seemed to cook his tyres as he had a large early lead then screwed it up and also seemed to forget that BTCC is a non contact sport by tacking out Matt Neal, 1/400th f7.1 ISO400

#11 - Robert Collard approaching Druids, 1/320th f14 ISO400

#12 - One of the few Formula Renualt that came out ok-ish, 1/400th f10 ISO400

#13 - O'Neil exiting Druids, 1/320th f11 ISO400

#14 - Colin Turkington exiting Druids, 1/160th f14 ISO400

#15 - The leader of the race for the Porche cup, 1/320th f9 ISO400

oooh, nearly forgot, tried a 1/60th pan. It kind of came out ok, but I know I've got dust on my sensor, lol

#16 - Smith exiting Druids, 1/60th f25 ISO400 - Not too bad for my first attempt!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1720719)   #3
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
edit: wrong thread
Old 26 Sep 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1720742)   #4
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps you could kindly be ~#*ed to read the forum guidlines before posting again as well-as you can see at the top of the threads. There is already a thread on the Brands BTCC stuff which does mention that a couple would be enough picturewise. We all take hundreds of pictures-sometimes thousands but showing them all off on this site is not practical and also extremly boring-PLEASE make sure that only a few are sent at a time. Next time postings will be edited/deleted for offending posters who do not bother to read the rules before plastering the forum with their weekends work however good or bad. Yes, it is nice to see peoples handywork but this posting takes the biscuit-no more like this thank you!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 23:34 (Ref:1720772)   #5
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So do you want to edit/merge this or shall I?
Old 27 Sep 2006, 07:26 (Ref:1720934)   #6
badgerbaiter
Racer

IMHO (which no one asked for ) i prefer to see seperate threads for each photographer instead of them all merged into one. Its confusing to comment on peoples photos when they are all bundled into the same thread.
Also, i like to see more photos rather than less. Not too many, though, i would say 6-8 in a thread. And whilst i'm risking my neck there i'll say that 600 size photos are a bit too small. 800 would be more reasonable.
Just my opinion... please dont kill me
Old 27 Sep 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1721079)   #7
tim-b
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
tim-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree that too many pics are boring, what you should have done was post #10 and #16 in the other BH post, #10 especially stands out. And don't be afraid of slow shutters, I like to shoot sometimes as slow as 1/15 or 1/20 for extra dynamism!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 12:46 (Ref:1721192)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
BB, without going round the same old arguments again, see the "Regulars-please read" thread.

I for one don't want to open a thread and be confronted by a dozen 800+ pixel photos. By all means post a couple of your best thumbnails with a link to where we can find more/bigger pictures.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 14:09 (Ref:1721246)   #9
badgerbaiter
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
I for one don't want to open a thread and be confronted by a dozen 800+ pixel photos.
i said 6 to 8
Old 27 Sep 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1721255)   #10
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The point is, this forum isn't just for displaying your photos that you take every week. If you take the time to read the stickies you'll see what is and isn't acceptable.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1721318)   #11
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
The point is, this forum isn't just for displaying your photos that you take every week. If you take the time to read the stickies you'll see what is and isn't acceptable.
Sure, this forum isn't just about displaying photographers' images but some people like to post them and (it would seem) lots of people like to view them. The forum only exists because of its contributors, after all.

How about having one moderator created thread per week where people can post their favourite one, or at most two, photos from the previous weekend. And then closing the thread to new posts after a week. I guess some clever person could automate it. Anyway, it's just an idea.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1721331)   #12
badgerbaiter
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
i've read the rules, thats why i'm talking about them not breaking them

'This forum is something that has been provided as a place for you to exchange tips and ideas, chat about techniques, discuss equipment and materials and to critique each others work. It is not intended as an image gallery so we will ask you to keep the number of images posted to a sensible level.'

to be honest, if it wasnt for people posting their photos i dont think there would be any interest in this section of the forum at all.

not sure about anyone else, but i use this thread for sharing my photos and viewing other peoples. I enjoy finding out what people think of my photos (good or bad) and i enjoy looking at other people takes on events i've been to.

maybe we need another thread for sharing photos (or maybe you can all visit my forum )
Old 27 Sep 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1721433)   #13
Allen Mead
Racer

United Kingdom
Whooaa there! Can everyone get off the Lynch mob band wagon.

Snapper Baz, unfortunately, I chose not to read your thread regarding snaps of action at Brands this weekend. From what I have read, you have only requested members to post their best two shots of the action on the thread you started.

I chose not to. I started my own thread which I am entitled to do as i wanted to display a few snaps I took over the weekend which I am reasonably happy with. Perhaps 16 could be classed as too many. They certainly haven't been posted as a 'gallery' of what i had done, I have my own website for this.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1721452)   #14
Allen Mead
Racer

United Kingdom
Whooaa there! Can everyone get off the Lynch mob band wagon.

Snapper Baz, unfortunately, I chose not to read your thread regarding snaps of action at Brands this weekend. From what I have read, you have only requested members to post their best two shots of the action on the thread you started. - Is this now a rule that is forum wide that should be added to the forum rules?

I chose not to. I started my own thread which I am entitled to do as I wanted to display a few snaps I took over the weekend which I am reasonably happy with. Perhaps 16 could be classed as too many. They certainly haven't been posted as a 'gallery' of what i had done, I have my own website for this and have no intention of doing so here.

With regard to your comments about being boring (I understand that that is not a personal jibe) then don't look at them. I find a lot of things on this site as boring, but don't feel the need to highlight it or make comment to this effect.

All of my photos are hosted on my own website using my bandwidth for people to view them. If 10 Tenths wants to restrict the number of photos linked using the [IMG][/IMG] tags then set the forum up properly, it can restrict it, I know, I run my own forum using the same software.

Furthermore, again, if you want to limit the number of images posted, then why not state the EXACT number of images members can post per thread/post instead of moaning about it on the relevant person's thread?

I can see that I have broken the rules in respect of the image width, I accept that. In which case, should you of not removed the offending post? I can of course either re-size to the maximum 400 pixels wide which, IMHO makes them too small to appreciate, mine are 640 in width.

Mike, if you wish to make clever comments about editing/merging threads, then would it not be even more clever to do this in the moderators forum? If in deed 10 Tenths have one.

tim-b, I agree, too many pics are boring, which is why I couldn't be bothered to look through all 476 pics properly and post them. Thanks for the kind comments about phots #10 and #16, much appreciated.

redshoes, as far as I can read, my posts are within the "regulars please read" thread with the exception of exceeding the 400 pixel limit.

I'm not a regular contributor to this forum, too many restrictions and moaners about various issues. This section of the forum is dying, the number of people contributing has dwindled since I first registered some time ago. One big loss to the forum is KennyG an excellent professional who always contribtuted quality photos time after time.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1721470)   #15
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"This section of the forum is dying"-possibly due postings like the one you have just posted!
Old 27 Sep 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1721479)   #16
Allen Mead
Racer

United Kingdom
Perhaps
Old 27 Sep 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1721480)   #17
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Mead
One big loss to the forum is KennyG an excellent professional who always contribtuted quality photos time after time.
I don't agree with all of what you say but agree it's a shame KennyG disappeared. Also AndrewW (I think was his name) who used to post stunning MotoGP pics.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1721483)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Allen, my comments were directed at badgerbaiter, but since you've replied...

If you have your own website then why do you feel the need to re-post all these images here. I notice you've posted virtually word for word the exact same thread on at least one other forum. Other forums may be happy for you to do that, here it's better to post a link to your website with a couple of samples

With regards to the 'if you don't like them don't look' comment, just give us a link to your website with a sample couple of thumbnails and then I'll decide if I want to send time looking at them.

If size really is an issue for you then post a link to your website where you can then make the images as big as you want.

Sorry if I seem to be repeating myself here, it's just that it's the same answer to most of your points.

There's no need to restrict the use of IMG tags. There are many occations when the odd in-line image are useful. It's far better to allow members to use a little common sense than impose hard and fast restrictions.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 04:45 (Ref:1722603)   #19
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Redshoes-nicely put and thanks
Old 29 Sep 2006, 07:43 (Ref:1722691)   #20
badgerbaiter
Racer

Quote:
here it's better to post a link to your website with a couple of samples
but we arent allowed to post links to your websites are we?
Old 29 Sep 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1723212)   #21
redshoes
Veteran

Of course you can. Promotion of other forums is specifically not allowed as is blatently spam the forums with links. There's no problem posting links which are relevent to the thread. In the context of asking for a critique of recent work, such a link would be fine.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1723351)   #22
badgerbaiter
Racer

Quote:
Of course you can. Promotion of other forums is specifically not allowed as is blatently spam the forums with links. There's no problem posting links which are relevent to the thread. In the context of asking for a critique of recent work, such a link would be fine.
cool