Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:14 (Ref:1744682)   #1
mongrelpunt
Rookie

mongrelpunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford drivers not helping Lowndes???????????

Sorry, but had to vent here.

Listening to all the commentators and Ford Fans (and drivers!) complaining that they are all not helping Lowndes to win the title is the biggest pile of steaming bullplop I've ever heard.

For starters Brighty was effectively looking out for his teammate Mark Winterbottom who himself is in the title hunt. No way was he letting it easy for Lowndes.

So why else would Jason Bright have politely moved over and let Lowdnes through? He's from a rival racing team with no affiliation with Triple 8. Its a hell of lot different with HSV/HRT - they are virtually the same 4 car team - but I could guarentee that Steven Richards, Greg Murphy or Jason Richards wouldn't have moved over in the race to let Rick Kelly win or move up a place. So why should Bright or Ingall have moved for Lowndes??

Maybe if Lowndes was driving for SBR and there was a 888 car in front of him - they both use the same engines etc - but that would be a far stretch.

Each team (with a couple of exceptions) is independant of each other, regardless of being a Ford or Holden (see WPS), so why should Ford drivers help other Ford drivers, or Holden drivers help other Holden drivers?

Unless Ford combine 888, FPR, SBR & DJR into a Ford superteam maybe......
Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:26 (Ref:1744694)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
funny you should mention this after it happens with a ford driver and not yesterday when rick was saying the same thing about stevo. no bias here folks
Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1744695)   #3
barney551
Veteran

barney551 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree mongrel ... and I am a ford supporter.

However ... do you think it is fair for the red side to do it ...

Is it good for racing and the sport in general to see a contrived (god I like that word) championship, and also race victory.

Lets go to a 1 make series and be done with it. That will at least suit 1 side or the other.

Personally I follow a driver and he is in a holden!!!
Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:29 (Ref:1744697)   #4
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Lowndes was the only Ford driver in with a chance at the title, I'd agree with him.

But as Mongrelpunt said, Frosty and Rusty are also still in the hunt, so as much as I'm sure they want a Ford driver to win, they want that Ford driver to be themselves! And Brighty would be rear gunning for him team mate now his own chance is gone.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:38 (Ref:1744704)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its every man for himself till the last round isnt it?

Its not close enough to the finish of the series to start playing sillybilly's with the positions on-track surely?

I dont like that Holden has tried to contrive their results with their 4 car mega team... but again.. Ford has no come back because they arent exploiting the rules to their maximum.

I imagine that sometime before Phillip Island, Mr Price shall be involved in setting the racing priorities in the blue corner!
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1744826)   #6
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winterbottom and Ingall still being in contention is more down to technicality than anything else. Ford have had a history before with this sort of crap whilst its been almost non existant with Holden, not helped when 2 brothers are part of a juggernaut team at the pointy end of the grid.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1744831)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
winterbottom is less than a round win away now
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1744846)   #8
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So did anyone actually hear CL complain that he isn't being helped?

Or are we just going off what CH10 told us.

In his interview after the race I think he said something along the lines of JB and RI not making it easy, but that doesn't mean he expects everyone on the blue side to help him.

In any reguard RK should be favoured for the title now. Based upon his car speed he has and that the other three Holden Team cars just aren't going to race him anymore.

With the obvoius assistance that he's going to get over the next rounds if the Holden Team can't control it for RK's advantage I'd be very surprised.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1744851)   #9
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I imagine that sometime before Phillip Island, Mr Price shall be involved in setting the racing priorities in the blue corner!

I sincerely hope so!!!! i am biased but if it wasnt bad enough Lowndes (with paper in his air intakes making the temp rise!!!!)been stuck behind Bright with square front rubber, but Ingall dives inside the highest placed Ford points leader to make it now harder than ever,

MR PRICE HAVE A MEETING WITH THESE CLOWN FORD DRIVERS AND LET EM KNOW WHO CONTRIBUTES TO THEIR TEAM > fomoco.....grrrr!!!!!
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1744858)   #10
Grimace
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
So did anyone actually hear CL complain that he isn't being helped?

Or are we just going off what CH10 told us.

In his interview after the race I think he said something along the lines of JB and RI not making it easy, but that doesn't mean he expects everyone on the blue side to help him.

In any reguard RK should be favoured for the title now. Based upon his car speed he has and that the other three Holden Team cars just aren't going to race him anymore.

With the obvoius assistance that he's going to get over the next rounds if the Holden Team can't control it for RK's advantage I'd be very surprised.
Exactly, itll be a miracle if Craigs "lack of carspeed Falcon' can beat RK
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:13 (Ref:1744861)   #11
Rowdy
Racer

Australia
The Shire
Rowdy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, as much as it can be fustrating for Ford Fans you have to respect Ford and their teams for letting racing be racing. Not like some of the "red" cars. Do we want contrived results or do we want the best car/driver to win? At times during the race I found myself at times wishing the Ford guys would all pull over and let Lowndes through, BUT thankfully this did not happen. If anybody wants to win a title they should have to race for it against every car out there!
To me a hollow victory is no victory.

Larko, We miss you.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1744925)   #12
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I prefer it if they were helping a Ford man to win, considering as it seems no other Ford driver is likely to do it, but they're all racers, they're out to beat everyone else, you really can't expect them to move over.

I understand about HRT/HSVDT. Sure maybe 4 cars is not in the spirits of things, but hey, they've been grouped for testing. It's fair game.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1744928)   #13
Sparklehorse
Racer

Australia-Aboriginal
Perth
Sparklehorse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whats next... send whincup out to nerf rick.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 12:41 (Ref:1744936)   #14
Grimace
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklehorse
whats next... send whincup out to nerf rick.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1744995)   #15
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
What about Tanders blatant "off you go, Rick" at the start of Race 3? Whilst putting the squeeze on Winterbottom at the same time... poetic justice that he found the wall.

Apart from the obvious Team Driving, the "stewards" got into the spirit of things too. It's the same old obsession with making the title go to the last round.

I wonder what they will do when there is blatant blocking to protect RK ... and it WILL happen.

Bright's antics were a bit like the Ford of Old - taking each other out.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1745308)   #16
mctshirt
Racer

New Zealand
The Land Of The Long Wide Bum
mctshirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy
Well, as much as it can be fustrating for Ford Fans you have to respect Ford and their teams for letting racing be racing. Not like some of the "red" cars. Do we want contrived results or do we want the best car/driver to win? At times during the race I found myself at times wishing the Ford guys would all pull over and let Lowndes through, BUT thankfully this did not happen. If anybody wants to win a title they should have to race for it against every car out there!
To me a hollow victory is no victory.
I'm with Rowdy 100%-with 3 rounds to go I think Lowndes' ego is getting a little ahead of itself which isn't that unusual given he's an Australian AND a racing car driver. It's not the first time this year he's protested someone is holding him up and should get out of his way despite it being a battle for position. Interesting to note the difference in opinion between Jason Richards and Lowndes about how serious the incident they had was.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 00:05 (Ref:1745590)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So let me get this straight ...

Some Ford fans are complaining that Holden use excessive team "arrangements", yet forlorn that their Ford teams are not doing the same thing?

Ok.

I don't like it, but I can't blame Holden for what they are allegedly doing with respect to Rick's championship bid - you would be mad not to.

Also, for the love of God, there are three more rounds remaining!!!

It is far too early for rival teams to start rolling over to manufacturer orders.

And as has been mentioned, FPR has an interest in Winterbottom's championship hopes too to just wave one of his rivals by.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 00:18 (Ref:1745599)   #18
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I kind of agree that Tander/Kelly/Skaife may not try to take Rick out, but I certainly didn't see Todd or Garth waiting for Rick in the first couple of races, and, Rick did have speed to burn on the weekend. Had he had not crashed in the Shootout it's possible no kind of team orders would be needed anyway.

I feel for Lowndes to some extent, but other drivers also have a race to win for their teams and sponsors. I'd hate to see Lowndes become a bit like Ambrose with his "I'm trying to win a Championship and guys keep getting in my way" attitude.

Symmons Plains is going to be one hell of a battle that's for sure because there are now 8-10 cars with really good speed all gunning for glory, and some with no championship hope so they will certainly not be letting people through and sacrificing wins.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 01:30 (Ref:1745648)   #19
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I said three years ago, when Marcos was complaining about Glenn at Pukekohe, Seton was perfectly entitled to do what he did at that race meeting, and the same applies here today. Bright and Ingall didn't do anything wrong. They have their own teams and sponsors to race for, as well as the manufacturer. It was up to Lowndes to not lose his cool, and find a safe way past both of them, if he could.

We should be applauding the Ford teams, for not stooping to the level of protecting their championship koala, as appears to be the case with some of the Holden teams. Regardless of the corporate and political aspects of the sport, Jason Bright (I can't believe I'm giving him credit for something) and Russell Ingall raced hard and fair, and did not betray their sporting instincts.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 02:03 (Ref:1745670)   #20
jason7253
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
jason7253 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the end of the day if Craig readdressed the move with Ingall the points loss would of been nothing compared to what the outcome was. Very strange to see Craig have his cage rattled like that.Not very Lowndes like at all.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 02:13 (Ref:1745676)   #21
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess I'd rather see a bloke win outright without having anyone stand aside or play a defensive role for him to win a championship........if this is what happens at the end of the day, Ford or Holden, I dont think either could hold their head up high.

I'd also rather see emotion and actual "racing" than the procession we witnessed at the front on the weekend.......it looked all too polite for me!

I'm one of the biggest Ford fans you will find, certainly disappointed in the results but hey...........Craig isnt backing down or "accumulating", which would disappoint me more.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 02:47 (Ref:1745698)   #22
Taz Q2
Racer

Australia
Bathurst & Emerald
Taz Q2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ford drivers not helping lowndes

Gotta laugh at all this rubbish, Craig is ten levels above what rick kelly could ever hope to be, & the only reason the lads at holden are helping him is to shut his sooky two year old mouth up, true justice was served up to him at Sandown & Bathurst & wiil be for the title as well.

Any one who thinks Winterbottom, Bright or Ingall has half a chance of winning the title is kidding themselves, being mathematically a chance v's true contention are two entirely different matters & Ingall did not in any way need to be pushing Craig for a pathetic ego trip gain in position, & as for Brighty well i would'nt expect any thing more from FPR they've been made to look like the fools that they are by T8.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 03:06 (Ref:1745704)   #23
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If 'true justice' is two very close 2nd places and a close 2nd in the Championship, ahead of 95% of the field, then so be it.

If racing hard, as opposed to letting someone from a rival team who's ahead on points just pass you, is a 'pathetic ego trip', then what is motor racing about?

As for FPR being 'made to look the fools they are by 888', Mark Winterbottom seems to be going OK.

Last edited by Aarrgh8; 23 Oct 2006 at 03:09.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 04:12 (Ref:1745734)   #24
v8smoker
Racer

Bahrain
tent
v8smoker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there will be a few ford drivers out there not willing to help CL an some who owe him some pay back for knocking them out of the way to get passed this year, frosty for one comes to mind.CL would want to be carefully pay back is a *****
Old 23 Oct 2006, 04:23 (Ref:1745738)   #25
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seton Fanatic
As I said three years ago, when Marcos was complaining about Glenn at Pukekohe, Seton was perfectly entitled to do what he did at that race meeting, and the same applies here today. Bright and Ingall didn't do anything wrong. They have their own teams and sponsors to race for, as well as the manufacturer. It was up to Lowndes to not lose his cool, and find a safe way past both of them, if he could.

We should be applauding the Ford teams, for not stooping to the level of protecting their championship koala, as appears to be the case with some of the Holden teams. Regardless of the corporate and political aspects of the sport, Jason Bright (I can't believe I'm giving him credit for something) and Russell Ingall raced hard and fair, and did not betray their sporting instincts.
Just what I wanted to say but with proper grammar and without all the cursing.