Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 10 Nov 2006, 06:02 (Ref:1762394)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Trailer Insurance

Couple of things.

First of all what's the best tracking system for a trailer?

Second. Having now invested in a nice big Brian James Race Shuttle I need to get it insured for when its being towed and when parked either on my drive or at my Prep man's premises.

Any advice on what to buy/who to use?
Old 10 Nov 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1762488)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do Brian James no longer do it Peter? There is a company in Huntingdon,I think its called Firebrand or something .
Old 10 Nov 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1762498)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Peter, just tell me where your drive is and I'll keep an eye on it for you.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1762528)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Outside my house!
Old 10 Nov 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1762563)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
5 miles from the Artic circle Peter? :-)
Old 10 Nov 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1762566)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
5 miles from the Artic circle Peter? :-)
I thought he was South of Watford Gap ?

I insure mine with the race car and tools etc all in one, trailer live on the front lawn at present, you'd have to knock the wall down to get it out !
Old 10 Nov 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1762615)   #7
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd be amazed Zef how quickly it is gone.
Overhere they are starting to use towtrucks with a crane and lift the whole thing straight onto the truck.
Do you think anybody is going to ask a driver of a towtruck if he is allowed to do that?

Strangest thing happened in former E Germany last week, somebody nicked 2 km of (not that often used) railroadtracks. Hired (but never paid) a proper company to do the job, loaded everything onto trucks and they were never seen again.

And be aware nowadays of those PL, CZ, LT,... plates.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1762712)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Unfortunately I have first hand experience of that - less than 10 minutes from the thieving arriving to them leaving with our car. And don't count on the insurance paying out enough to replace what you lose.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1763043)   #9
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drove through Germany to near the Polish boredre and back last year. Noticed that whenever a road works was unmanned, the generators/ compressors etc. were chained to a forklift or crane and hoisetd as high as possible. Effective theft deterrance? But not much use at hoem to protect the trailer.
I've just been out and bought a wheel clamp for the trailer. Not cheap, but (I hope) a worthwhile invetsment.

John
Old 11 Nov 2006, 04:07 (Ref:1763187)   #10
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly here in Aus you can insure a trailer against theft. As to 'not getting back as much as it's worth' that's up to you to get the right amount of cover in the first place. Some people will nominate a lower sum insured (value) to save a few dollars in premium.

As for the contents of the trailer - that's a bit different, so you might be best to talk to a broker. There are insurance brokers who handle racing cars, one of them should be a good starting point.

Kramer
Old 11 Nov 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1763286)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Overhere they are starting to use towtrucks with a crane and lift the whole thing straight onto the truck.
Do you think anybody is going to ask a driver of a towtruck if he is allowed to do that?

Strangest thing happened in former E Germany last week, somebody nicked 2 km of (not that often used) railroadtracks. Hired (but never paid) a proper company to do the job, loaded everything onto trucks and they were never seen again.

And be aware nowadays of those PL, CZ, LT,... plates.
The problem is ,those plates dont stay in Holland!
Old 11 Nov 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1763424)   #12
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're looking at tracking kit - there are a few on the market.

There's Tracker, TrackM8, followus, and various others. Some use GSM/GPRS to track the vehicle.

Since most theiving scumbags hook up the trailer to tow it off, that could be your way of arming/activating the system.

One of "Tracker's" systems is designed for plant, trailers, etc... and you can arm it, and if the trailer moves, they know about it, and inform you, and Mr Plod straight away. Tracker is probably favourite as it's the one that Plot is kitted up to chase. Nearly every traffic car is fitted with Tracker detection kit, and their little display lights up like a christmas tree when a stolen vehicle is in range.

Well worth the purchase price.

And tracker attracts a discount from your insurance premium.

Rob.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1763432)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thanks Rob, sounds good.

I've got the tow hitch clamp and a wheel clamp, but as with all these things passive security is never really enough.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1763447)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Why did you buy a block of flats???
Old 11 Nov 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1763459)   #15
Alan Daffin
Rookie

United Kingdom
Alan Daffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you got anything worth putting in the shuttle Pete. lol.
Alan
Old 11 Nov 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1763460)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Apparently not. So that'll stop them from nicking it won't it?

Tch 2 posts in and he's taking the ****.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1763512)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Daffin
Have you got anything worth putting in the shuttle Pete. lol.
Alan
Its doubling up as Pats Summer house.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1763517)   #18
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
One of "Tracker's" systems is designed for plant, trailers, etc... and you can arm it, and if the trailer moves, they know about it, and inform you, and Mr Plod straight away. Tracker is probably favourite as it's the one that Plot is kitted up to chase. Nearly every traffic car is fitted with Tracker detection kit, and their little display lights up like a christmas tree when a stolen vehicle is in range.

Rob.
The problem we have round here is the pikeys stealing stuff, a few horse boxes have gone and the owners found them on Gypsy sites but the plod won't go on there to recover anything.
I have a hitch lock and wheel clamp on mine but I worry about some ******* turning up with a Hiab and lifting it.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1763551)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Because they are simply beyond the law, what a bloody sad country this has become.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1763554)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Better hold tight Al,cos its gonna get worse!
Old 11 Nov 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1763558)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
By the day unfortunately unless we at last get this 'Party of law and Order' did the man say, out. Or was it 'Hard on crime and hard on the causes of crime', don't make me laugh please.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 11 Nov 2006 at 18:51.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1763695)   #22
phansa88
Racer

England
gravesend
phansa88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one of the guys at work had a new 4x4 lock it up went fishing heared it start up run the 150 meters to where it was .saw it going down the road phone the old bill straight away ( they said when someone is free will look for it) two days later still not looked for with tracker. WHATS THE POINT OF A TRACKER old bill too intrested in speeding tickets or drinking tea
Old 13 Nov 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1765323)   #23
alex 66
Rookie

alex 66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my trailer spends the winter in a nice big carpark free of charge but the biggest bonus is to get it out you have to get past the armed gaurds as i leave it on a raf base
Old 14 Nov 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1766170)   #24
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i had one nicked with a drawbar lock on [they had it away on a chain] and unless you have an armed guard id say it was dam near impossible to stop em. at the mo i have a hole drilled in two wheels and a length of round bar thru em with a nut welded to one end and a enclosed padlock on the other. suppose thy will beat me in the end though...... think ill go and see if its still there.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1766175)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes I have seen the Pikey chain trick used before now driving down the road in front of me with one of the arsses hanging out the back door of the Transit holdingt he chain and no i did not try to stop them! I have the draw bar lock also a lock called a Bulldog which clamps on the wheen and the wheels have special nuts so they cannot get them off and nick it that way. I also keep it behind locked doors.