The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The red pill

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/34678/
Old 10 Jan 2007, 08:08 (Ref:1811026)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
As usual CC-fan journalists shoot at IRL's real problems to ridicoulously hide CC's ones.

Really does CC have a lot of cars in the grid? And a few stars driving?
Can justin Wilson be considered a star?

Accusing IRL of prohibitive costs is clearly unfair: engine duration and chassis freeze have significantly diminished costs for teams in the last two years, whereas CC, with new cars to buy will be far more expensive. Of course a new chassis is an element of interest but certailnly not a way to save money.

As we say in Italy, if IRL cry, CC doesn't laugh.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1811162)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont really know much about the journo, how do you know he is a CC fan?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 11:21 (Ref:1811227)   #4
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How many signed drivers does Champ Car has :
How many fully backed teams does CC has :
I don't rate PT as bigger star or better driver than Haornish Jr., Castroneves, Wheldon, Dixon, etc.
Still IRL has confirmed full 2007 schedule, CC is still dreaming about Europe, knowing they don't have cash to do it.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1811279)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uh. I seriously don't think Marshall Pruett is a Champ Car guy. His bio seems more SPEED GT and Touring related.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 10 Jan 2007, 12:49 (Ref:1811336)   #6
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champ Car is in a reconstruction period...they have a future in store for them. Does the IRL have a future spelt out for them right now?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 14:44 (Ref:1811468)   #7
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Brighter than Champ Car, TG doesn't dream about Europe, still has Penske, Andretti, Ganassi, number of backers under his wing... Period.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 16:08 (Ref:1811544)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K
... Period.
Unfortunately neither series is in a position to put a 'period' on their status within the racing world. Seems more like a run-on sentence really.
To argue over which series has the advantage over the other is like arguing over who's girlfriend is the least ugly.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 10 Jan 2007, 16:49 (Ref:1811565)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ChampCar looks in the stronger position of the two at the moment, with a likely field of 18-22 cars, talented drivers from all over the world, and a future direction mapped out. The IRL is stuck in the same position of 2006 - a single engine and chassis due to others pulling out rather than by design, established teams dropping out, two teams dominating at the front, no real stars behind them bar Kanaan and perhaps Meira.

All the same, it's not wise for a championship to make too much of its disadvantages. There are plenty of positives for the IRL to maximise, and plenty of things which could go right in future,
Old 10 Jan 2007, 17:51 (Ref:1811620)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not going to say anything other then watch Champ car in 2007 and IRL and see the difference in how much things have changed over the months and years steadily, be it driver talent throughout the field, car entrants, stability, global expansion etc.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 19:58 (Ref:1811717)   #11
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of te big things that is keeping the IRL alive is the indy 500, IRL is in no way dead, but TG needs to pull his finger out soon if he wants his series to survive, champ car are improving their series and have a new car next year. IRL nothing has changed, apart from the fact that there are many more road courses, which defines the point of the IRL being an oval series. i dont see much of a future for the IRL, sure they have some decent teams, but i would be suprised if they left.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 23:01 (Ref:1811862)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't comment on much, as neither holds much of my attention anymore. But I will say that chastising the IRL for running a dated car is a bit silly. How long did Champcar carry on with the same car-engine combo?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 23:55 (Ref:1811900)   #13
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
no real stars behind them bar Kanaan and perhaps Meira.
OH MY GOD Jesus Maria. D'you know names like Hornish, Castroneves, Wheldon, Dixon, Manning ?
Old 11 Jan 2007, 01:45 (Ref:1811950)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not meaning to be argumentative, but a few here seem to be more focused on CC than problems that face the IRL. I am not saying CC is rosey or anything like but those who are trying overlook any problem the IRL has because "CC has them too" isn't a good or effective way to improve things.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 03:46 (Ref:1811994)   #15
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Can justin Wilson be considered a star?
Yes. Next question?
Old 11 Jan 2007, 05:33 (Ref:1812030)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
enemy-ace:

To argue over which series has the advantage over the other is like arguing over who's girlfriend is the least ugly.
Quote:
D.R.T:

...those who are trying overlook any problem the IRL has because "CC has them too" isn't a good or effective way to improve things.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 09:08 (Ref:1812121)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
two teams dominating at the front, no real stars behind them bar Kanaan and perhaps Meira.
Alex, I'm well aware that Penske and Ganassi have 2 star drivers each. Try reading what I post before responding.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1812334)   #18
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by baclightning
Yes. Next question?

If you consider Justin Wilson a star, then CC is filled with stars, as well as Formula Renaul Monza, FF 1600 etc...
Old 11 Jan 2007, 14:02 (Ref:1812344)   #19
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
ChampCar looks in the stronger position of the two at the moment, with a likely field of 18-22 cars, talented drivers from all over the world, and a future direction mapped out. The IRL is stuck in the same position of 2006 - a single engine and chassis due to others pulling out rather than by design, established teams dropping out, two teams dominating at the front, no real stars behind them bar Kanaan and perhaps Meira.

All the same, it's not wise for a championship to make too much of its disadvantages. There are plenty of positives for the IRL to maximise, and plenty of things which could go right in future,
For once Boots, I don't agree with you.

About the supposed talented drivers , well I'll wait for the incoming season to see some; and about dominant teams in IRL, well, just count the teams in condition to fight for the title in 2006:

IRL: Ganassi, Penske, Andretti, and a real competition inside these teams
CC: Newman-Haas
F1: Renault,Ferrari (with no competition inside these teams)

Just to enlarge the comparison:
BF3: Double R, Carlin
EuroF3: ASM, Manor

Among the major open wheel series, IRL is by lightyears the most competitive, and I expect things to stay more or less the same for 2007
Old 11 Jan 2007, 14:11 (Ref:1812350)   #20
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only reason N-H are dominating CC the way they are is because Bourdais belongs in F1. And besides this season Forsythe and RuSport have been right up there. It was a shame to lose Allmendinger but dollars speak louder than words sometimes.

I think IRL and CCWS will be about equally competetive this year. IRL will no doubt have some great racing especially if AGR get their act together a bit more this season.

However, so should CCWS - Bourdais did not have it all his own way last year. Wilson, Allmendinger and Tracy all had the legs of him on occasion. Philippe and Clarke (fingers crossed) should be ones to watch because Keith Wiggins knows how to run a successful team and they have both proven themselves to be blindingly quick on occasion.

For the future I do have brighter hopes for CCWS because the organisers feel they know the way forward and are on the right path and aren't afraid to talk about it. For the IRL it either feels it is where it needs to be (surely not!) or TG is just not being particularly open about his plans - but why should he be really!

Personally, I'll be watching both with great interest.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 14:27 (Ref:1812358)   #21
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

D-A-N-I-C-A P-A-T-R-I-C-K
Old 11 Jan 2007, 15:05 (Ref:1812371)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
For once Boots, I don't agree with you.

About the supposed talented drivers , well I'll wait for the incoming season to see some; and about dominant teams in IRL, well, just count the teams in condition to fight for the title in 2006:

IRL: Ganassi, Penske, Andretti, and a real competition inside these teams
CC: Newman-Haas
F1: Renault,Ferrari (with no competition inside these teams)
Unfair, climb, as Forsythe was in it once Allmendinger showed his form.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 11 Jan 2007, 15:31 (Ref:1812385)   #23
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips1
D-A-N-I-C-A P-A-T-R-I-C-K
Could perhaps expand a touch on your comment

FWIW I don't believe Danica is a positive for the IRL any longer - she's just another driver in the series. When (if) she starts winning races then I'll be interested but even the TV companies got fed up of showing her battles for 18th place last year so she's got to progress now if she wants the world to take notice.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 16:08 (Ref:1812418)   #24
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Unfair, climb, as Forsythe was in it once Allmendinger showed his form.
IMHO it turned out to be nothing more than a paper fire, seb's empteenth title was never at risk, with the winner marking 30% more points than the runner-up.

For the records, the IRL final standings, the winner had the same points of the runner-up.

Last edited by climb; 11 Jan 2007 at 16:14.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 17:23 (Ref:1812486)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some unfair comments to say the least and no dis respect to anyone especially climb but I don't agree with you're saying mate...

We all thoughT the IRL would struggle to field 13 cars, a bit unfair as by March yet again they would probably find 17 or along those lines. But they are being filled up with un talented drivers. Midiscure to say the least.
And as pointed out, to say everything is all rosey and Champ Car has loads of problems maybe you should look at your own...

The difference Champ Car is attracting big names. Many from Europe. Many GP2 drivers, F3 etc. Even ex F1 team Minardi have made the plunge and Paul said on Autosport it wouldn't be impossible for another f1 team and not as unlikely as it may seem to some.

Champ Car has many new teams, look at what the difference the new car has made, there should be for the first time in a long time, consistently ever 20 cars. The building blocks since 2004 are now starting to show.

Champ Car has only one star team? You'll see many new teams and stars born this year with the more competitive chassis with less adjustments allowed. Some great and good talent from Europe, just look at the names this year in Champ Car from the front to the back of the field. Do the same with the IRL, then you'll see what I'm talking about.

The IRL has four big teams? They are good teams but they are all running old Honda engines as is the whole field. And old Dallaras...Lets not forget they are all ex Champ Car teams (which defines the original point of the IRL IMHO) before they fled for the money etc..And as mentioned they will stay in the IRL.

Last edited by luke; 11 Jan 2007 at 17:26.