Old 29 Mar 2007, 17:09 (Ref:1879316)   #1
SPRacer
Racer

United States
St. Petersburg, FL
SPRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dominguez back to Forsythe

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...e.asp?ID=11361

I wonder if his contract states that he must keep 3 car lenghts between himself and Paul Tracy at all times?!?!?!
Old 30 Mar 2007, 02:53 (Ref:1879622)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah it doesn't make much sense, does it?

SpeedTV's take. http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/36330/
I guess the fact that he is bringing *some* money was more important than the fact that Forsythe hated him. The deal is only good for 3 races. I guess the plan is to fire him again this year?
Old 30 Mar 2007, 03:45 (Ref:1879630)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now did Gerry really hate him or was it they needed a place for AJ
Old 30 Mar 2007, 15:08 (Ref:1879923)   #4
DaPix
Rookie

DaPix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerry was upset with Mario when he took PT out of the race in Milwaukee.
Mario broke the cardinal rule about never taking out your team mate.

I think that made Gerry ready for a change, and he might have fired Mario anyway. But, looking back, AJ was fired by RuSPORT on June 9, and the announcement that Forsythe was letting Mario go was on June 12. So Forsythe knew that AJ was available.

Of course, no one had any idea that AJ would proceed to win the next three races. Forsythe was just filling the seat with a competent, promising driver that would be competitive.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 18:44 (Ref:1881270)   #5
Dudley
Veteran

Dudley has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah it proved that Wilson has been making Rusport look a lot, LOT better than they really are for a long time.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1881838)   #6
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D.R.T., think both were true. This time, he brought Telmex, or I doubt if he had the seat....for three races.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 10:38 (Ref:1881848)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am sure the need for a Mexican also played a part in the decision
Old 2 Apr 2007, 10:44 (Ref:1881851)   #8
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree.....another piece of the puzzle.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 16:23 (Ref:1882091)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO Dominguez will probably stay for the season. Unless another driver with cash is found, but I think Mario is hired simply because he's got some cash and he's Mexican.

Plus he's also a pretty quick pedaller.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 21:10 (Ref:1882281)   #10
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I would of preferred Dave martinez in that car. Mario is old and has little to show for his five years in Champ car, he barely won the ROTY in 2002 from the absent Townsend Bell.

But in reality Mario was a good marketing choice, Mexican Champ Car fans tend to be very "casual" about their dedication to the series.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1882318)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A second Forsythe car is a nice surprise of sorts in itself, although I'm sure an element of it is financial. Mario is a surprise choice on paper, and I'm cynical as to why he was chosen - if AJ were available, or another Mexican was signed up, I doubt Mario would be mentioned in any seriousness for the ride.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1882335)   #12
indycool
Veteran

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....just what Forsythe said it would take.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 03:41 (Ref:1882408)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In fairness Dominguez was quiet impressive in 2003 and 2004. I had high hopes for him in 2005, but it didn't come to pass. Certain drivers seem to require very specific environments and thrive on certain teams. For PT and AJ that team was Forsythe. For Tag it was probably Rocketsports (although I have read some contradictory info on that) or early on at TA. ...granted his rookie season @ Forsythe has some incredible moments.

The Mexico city race has become a shadow of its former self. Other than the absence of Fernandez is there any other reason (other than marketing and political considerations)?
Old 3 Apr 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1882705)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch
Personally I would of preferred Dave martinez in that car. Mario is old and has little to show for his five years in Champ car, he barely won the ROTY in 2002 from the absent Townsend Bell.

But in reality Mario was a good marketing choice, Mexican Champ Car fans tend to be very "casual" about their dedication to the series.
Martinez is Mexican too; Carlos Slim is a supporter of Mexican drivers. You may get your wish.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Apr 2007, 14:33 (Ref:1882735)   #15
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
The Mexico city race has become a shadow of its former self. Other than the absence of Fernandez is there any other reason (other than marketing and political considerations)?
The Marketing for it has really gone down. In the first year there was tons of Advertising for it, whole buildings being draped with ads for the race and the mexican drivers. Furthermore during those years Mexicans got the whole Champ Car Season Live on Free To Air television. Finally to top it off the Nascar race has taken alot of fans away, I know they're completely different but to some people they're the same.