Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Mar 2007, 07:00 (Ref:1880279)   #1
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Townsville in for 09, almost again???

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/news/la...=&gid=32660996

hopefully little Johnny Coward or Kevin Dudd (depending on who is PM when these funds go through) give the funds so it can go ahead this time and it's just not an election stunt.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1880300)   #2
Da Moo
Racer

Da Moo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a race in townsville would be great but as I have said before, why do avesco always expect everyone else to pay for the event.

I would love to know what avescos response would be if the government said "sure. we will give you $10 million but we will take every penny from ticket sales etc until we get our money back"

I know we all love v8s but i think healthcare and schooling are more important than this race and what annoys me is that I am sure avesco make all the money from the event.

Stop whinging avesco - put your money where your mouth is or shut up. I dont ask for hand outs from the government and you have a lot more money than I do so act like a real sport.

Townsville race would be awesome but acting like a backwater sport.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1880379)   #3
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee Cochrane is full of
Old 1 Apr 2007, 02:19 (Ref:1880862)   #4
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree and so are other people in the game.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 05:11 (Ref:1880874)   #5
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps for ten million dollars the Govt could charter some planes and fly the Townsville crowd to QR for the weekend.

It might end up being cheaper.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 07:17 (Ref:1880903)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely the Feds wouldnt be dumb enough to back such an event
Old 2 Apr 2007, 03:07 (Ref:1881668)   #7
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whether the Feds would be dumb enough to back the event depends on the politics of it not the events viability.The discussion that street races are a waste of taxpayers money and have bad effects on all motor sports outside of V8 Supercars has been had repeatedly on this forum (eg Homebush) and the vast majority of posts have concluded that street races are a bad idea on every level except for putting more money in The Artist's pockets.I thoght the Queensland government had been smart enough to bury this stupid idea but it appears not.The only consolation is that Peckstar might be inspired to return to these discussions to tell us how The Artist is going to save the world.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 06:50 (Ref:1881710)   #8
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In part defence of VESA, the $10m they are chasing won't be used just for a V8 race every year. The 'events precinct' they are wanting to build would be used more than once a year.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 07:37 (Ref:1881739)   #9
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksie
In part defence of VESA, the $10m they are chasing won't be used just for a V8 race every year. The 'events precinct' they are wanting to build would be used more than once a year.
The precint will only be used for motorsport once a year though thereby denying any chance of a motorsport industry in the north. The precinct cannot be used for driver training etc during the year as well. Knowing the proposed location of the precinct i find it hard to believe there will be many other uses for it also.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 09:18 (Ref:1881796)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i find it amazing that anytime a street race gets mentioned, the same tired people bring out the same tired arguments
serously guys, youve made your points, we hear you, we have taken them on board, either get some new information or stay out of the discussion, go create your own threads to ***** about street races, ratehr than hijacking the thread each time it is mentioned
Old 2 Apr 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1881829)   #11
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
i find it amazing that anytime a street race gets mentioned, the same tired people bring out the same tired arguments
serously guys, youve made your points, we hear you, we have taken them on board, either get some new information or stay out of the discussion, go create your own threads to ***** about street races, ratehr than hijacking the thread each time it is mentioned

And then there are the same boring old people who are pro every thing TC says and does who maybe should take a little bit of their own advice. Better still if they can't handle criticism of be it street races or anything else they should go somewhere where everybody agrees with them.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 10:55 (Ref:1881854)   #12
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just as well this ain't personal, or people may take it to heart.

Some of us are well adjusted and muchy preapared.

It depends on your comfort of the depth of the situation!
Old 2 Apr 2007, 11:02 (Ref:1881861)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
but pete i have taken my own advice, i have not argued for TC in anyway, i have not rehashed my same arguments. Now i ask you to either bring some new information or just butt out.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1881884)   #14
Bigem
Rookie

Bigem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I don't think its financially viable given the very small spectator base, VESA will make money out of it while Townsville gets to put up with kaos for a week and racing in the area ,VESA should put money into a permanent circuit and build interest and a quality on-going event. That wont happen because TC is not interested in building anything except his and the other VESA directors bank balances!! The QLD government is a joke but they are not that stupid, well not if they want to get in again!
Old 2 Apr 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1881889)   #15
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
but pete i have taken my own advice, i have not argued for TC in anyway, i have not rehashed my same arguments. Now i ask you to either bring some new information or just butt out.

I can give you some new information.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1881895)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Now i ask you to either bring some new information or just butt out.
I am not sure why people must butt out of commenting on something that is supposedly again a current issue.

If people dont agree with the concept, I find it appalling that you dont want them to be allowed to write their thoughts.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1882172)   #17
Da Moo
Racer

Da Moo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peckstar - the reason people say the same things about this issue is because they remain valid points which no-one has been able to answer.

Forums are all about people having an opinion so if you have a problem with that, maybe you should try and find a forum where everyone has the same opinion as yours....good luck.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 00:39 (Ref:1882382)   #18
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's some new information.The press release concerning Townsville says that the event will cost $3million a year to stage.Given that Clipsal costs $20 million a year to run and the set up cost for Albert Park is $30 million a year the Townsville figure is farcical.Perhaps to make the event viable the annual costs needed to be no more than $3million and so this ridiculous low number was dreamed up to make the other numbers stack up.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1882471)   #19
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
either get some new information or stay out of the discussion, go create your own threads to ***** about street races, ratehr than hijacking the thread each time it is mentioned
Agreed..each Street Race is unique Different track; different city; different clientelle.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 10:13 (Ref:1882594)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
I am not sure why people must butt out of commenting on something that is supposedly again a current issue.

If people dont agree with the concept, I find it appalling that you dont want them to be allowed to write their thoughts.

I dont beleive i asked them to butt out, i said bring some new information or butt out

Im happy for people to write there thoughts, you.ve already done it, in about four threads regarding different street races, as has pete, so you have written it.

all im asking is that you come up with something new and stop flogging the same dead horse that contrary to Da moos opinion are more than balanced by points for having a streeet race.

We have discussed this before, the idea of street races, im happy for you to have your negative opinion, just dont dont drag down every street race thread with the same negative opinion,
Old 3 Apr 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1882620)   #21
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52
Here's some new information.The press release concerning Townsville says that the event will cost $3million a year to stage.Given that Clipsal costs $20 million a year to run and the set up cost for Albert Park is $30 million a year the Townsville figure is farcical.Perhaps to make the event viable the annual costs needed to be no more than $3million and so this ridiculous low number was dreamed up to make the other numbers stack up.
Alan52
Thats 3million Mr Beatte dollars, completely different to real money
Old 4 Apr 2007, 02:13 (Ref:1883033)   #22
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Agreed..each Street Race is unique Different track; different city; different clientelle.
Same motive. More profit for V8SA without ANY financial risk. Brilliant!
Old 4 Apr 2007, 05:16 (Ref:1883073)   #23
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[Same motive. More profit for V8SA without ANY financial risk. Brilliant!
There is financial risk in any new venture, it is not a guaranteed that it will compensate itself.
Old 4 Apr 2007, 07:22 (Ref:1883128)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
the recent swimming world championships in melbourne has been estimated to have cost the vic government 51 million dollars. that is the governments contribution outside ticket sales (1 in 5 got in free). over the 8 days approx 200,000 people turned up.

It was a temporary pool in a permanent stucture and used nearly 7 million litres of water in the middle of a drought. the championships will not be held again in victoria ( well not for a while)

makes this street race they could be held for many years to come look cheap dosnt it.
Old 4 Apr 2007, 07:39 (Ref:1883142)   #25
pete55
Veteran

If VESA don't spend anything to get an event up and running there is not much chance of losing money on it.