Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Jun 2007, 20:48 (Ref:1940229)   #1
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 24 Entrants

Strictyl personal, but the best 24 hr race of the year.

Good to hear that Gavin and Beretta and P&M crewe will be with Alphand for this one, but what else are we gonna get / lose?

Oreca Saleen perchance?

Spyker?

Those that have the chance to go please give it a shot - it is a fabulous event
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1940322)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For what its worth I agree with you with regards to the Spa 24 hours being the best endurance race. This year looks like it will be better and stronger than ever before, not only do we have works teams from Maserati and Aston Martin but a factory supported Corvette too, and who knows maybe the Oreca Saleens may turn up too? It certainly will be interesting to see this years grid, potentially we could have a capacity grid of 65 cars although that all depends on how many GT3 cars enter I guess.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:29 (Ref:1940325)   #3
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It could be Le Mans GT1 all over again.
Just with more and even stronger GT1s around. Going to be fantastic.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 03:17 (Ref:1940439)   #4
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Definitely more GT1s, and some very strong ones. Not going to agree with the assertion that there are stronger GT1s than the Le Mans dustup - at best they will be similar, and more likely at a slightly lower level, but very very strong for a grid that "bans" works teams.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 04:29 (Ref:1940457)   #5
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the FIA GT just gives no points to works teams (like AMR at Silverstone, 2005). Oreca is a semi-works team, right? I hope they race.

I'd actually love to see a 24 hour race with just LMP cars, but the 1,000 km of Spa and/or Monza is good. I just wish Speed TV would show FIA GT and LMS now rather than in December with just one hour highlights.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 05:20 (Ref:1940472)   #6
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would think Oreca would easily be considered private and eligible for points (though I doubt they'd care). If all the heavily factory-supported efforts from manufacturers, lead by Porsche, have been overlooked, surely a team in Oreca's situation would not be considered factory.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 06:54 (Ref:1940501)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil588
I just wish Speed TV would show FIA GT and LMS now rather than in December with just one hour highlights.
Indeed. There are many things I wish they would show live, or if much delayed then at least in full then. To allow for this, I would propose for them to dump all non-motorsport related programming.

Just all motorsport, all of the time.

None of this synidication loops of "reality" automotive related nonsense. I watch the very occasional episode of Pinks!, but that is about it.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 07:07 (Ref:1940508)   #8
kingkai
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
kingkai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Works team is a company that also built the car (from scratch) Oreca only updated the saleen. Prodrive built the whole am, no as in 2000 only converted a 550 into gt1 (because they raced as care racing in 2002/3 in FiaGT with BMS as cover). Same with the lambo, Lamo fact built them, reiter updated the car to 2007 spec.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 08:16 (Ref:1940547)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Is there room for wrangling along the lines of a works team creating a company that then uses the works product and what not? That is, a works team using a legal technicality to operate as a "private" entry?
Old 18 Jun 2007, 08:24 (Ref:1940549)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Works teams are allowed in FIA GT. Vitaphone is the works Maserati team in FIA GT dont forget, and BMS too are the official works team for Aston Martin in FIA GT. In GT2 however works teams are outlawed, however some teams do receive more factory backing than others.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 08:29 (Ref:1940553)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Well, then, apply my above question to GT2.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 11:05 (Ref:1940697)   #12
911 GT1
Racer

Germany
911 GT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkai
Works team is a company that also built the car (from scratch) Oreca only updated the saleen. Prodrive built the whole am, no as in 2000 only converted a 550 into gt1 (because they raced as care racing in 2002/3 in FiaGT with BMS as cover). Same with the lambo, Lamo fact built them, reiter updated the car to 2007 spec.
The Murciélago R-GT is a complete Reiter product, Lamborghini had nearly no hand on this car.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:31 (Ref:1940746)   #13
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
vitaphone are no more the official team of Maserati after their switch to Michelin...in fact Bertolini which is a Ferrari-Maserati works driver has been placed to Sara-Playteam with Pirelli
Old 18 Jun 2007, 15:21 (Ref:1940832)   #14
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Works teams are allowed in FIA GT. Vitaphone is the works Maserati team in FIA GT dont forget, and BMS too are the official works team for Aston Martin in FIA GT. In GT2 however works teams are outlawed, however some teams do receive more factory backing than others.
Works teams are BANNED. What you talk about here a representative teams, same as BMS are Porsche's for GT2 and AF Corse are Ferrari's.
As for points and teams, a team entering just for Spa won't care really will they?
Old 18 Jun 2007, 16:02 (Ref:1940860)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
No, FACTORY teams are banned. Works teams are not banned, BMS get all the latest parts first and all the areo updates first. Sure they arent full blown factory teams like the factory Corvette's we see in the ALMS and Le Mans but they do get things first.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 20:12 (Ref:1941029)   #16
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All very interesting, but anybody clues on additional runners and riders for the event?
Old 18 Jun 2007, 20:29 (Ref:1941058)   #17
zarquon
Rookie

Bermuda
zarquon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RSV Motorsport said they were going to enter their two Ferrari 430s

Only other one I know is the Alphand Corvette
Old 18 Jun 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1941062)   #18
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Quote:
No, FACTORY teams are banned. Works teams are not banned, BMS get all the latest parts first and all the areo updates first. Sure they arent full blown factory teams like the factory Corvette's we see in the ALMS and Le Mans but they do get things first.
Or, rather, second. The factory did a lot of Le Mans development that hadn't filtered down to the factory-supported teams yet. Bouchut mentioned that after testing the 008 for the first time at Snetterton, because he was surprised how much stronger that pseudo-factory Larbre entry was than the normal Larbre car from the LMS. So those teams eventually get the bits, but they're not on the bleeding edge.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 20:57 (Ref:1941083)   #19
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
No they dont get the bits at the same time the factory cars get them, thats not what I meant. What I meant was that teams like BMS get the new parts before true privateer teams such as Jet Alliance and Team Modena.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 09:43 (Ref:1941478)   #20
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No they dont get the bits at the same time the factory cars get them, thats not what I meant. What I meant was that teams like BMS get the new parts before true privateer teams such as Jet Alliance and Team Modena.
ok so a factory and a works team are slightly different? despite works and factory literally meaning the same thing?
i'd suggest we see the standard entries, but we might see some teams compressing two cars down to one? It could be hard to get 8 drivers in two cars? JMB for example could put the drivers from its two cars into one?
same applies to any other two car teams. otherwise they might struggle for drivers?
Old 19 Jun 2007, 10:00 (Ref:1941500)   #21
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
i'd suggest we see the standard entries, but we might see some teams compressing two cars down to one? It could be hard to get 8 drivers in two cars? JMB for example could put the drivers from its two cars into one?
same applies to any other two car teams. otherwise they might struggle for drivers?
If the costs isn't an issue that should be no problem. There should be plenty of Belcar drivers around who know Spa very well...
And a lot of teams might come up with only 3 drivers per car as well....
Old 19 Jun 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1941677)   #22
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we'll see also 'SRT' Corvette C5R and maybe 'Duller Motorsport' BMW Z4 in G2 class
Old 19 Jun 2007, 15:08 (Ref:1941735)   #23
Chewie-1990
Racer

United Kingdom
Chewie-1990 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news about Enduro drivers for existing teams? So far I've got:

Eric van de Poele - Vitaphone Maserati #1
Frederic Bouvy - GLPK Carsport #4
Kurt Mollekens - GLPK Carsport #4
Marcel Fassler - Phoenix/Carsport #5
Fabrizio Gollin - Phoenix/Carsport #5

Anybody know of any more?
Old 19 Jun 2007, 15:13 (Ref:1941738)   #24
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
ok so a factory and a works team are slightly different? despite works and factory literally meaning the same thing?
I think he meant factory supported team.

-------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkob
I think we'll see also 'SRT' Corvette C5R and maybe 'Duller Motorsport' BMW Z4 in G2 class
The SRT Vette I think we will see in the GT1 class.
Also I think PSI will come with at least one of their Vette's.

Also we can expect Prospeedwith their Porsche 997 RSR because they announced they drive the Spa 24h.

An other team who is maybee coming is Vonka. They are currently searching for drivers.

If we look to the entry list of the previous years we also can expect:
-GPC Sport with a F430
-maybee Spyker Squadron of Speedy garage with the C8
-Ice Pol Racing team witgh a F430
-Nicolas de Gastinas with a car
-Patrick Chaillet with a Viper CC (drove last week in the Belcar)
-Jean Charles Levy with a car
-Some Belcar Guesst cars
-Etc...

Also Racing Box raced in the Belcar last weekend, maybee for testing the car for the Spa 24h??
Old 19 Jun 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1941743)   #25
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like Racing Box MC12 instead of the Viper Coupe ;-) .. but I agree wtih PSI Corvette.
Prospeed is just in Monza Entray List so ...