Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 11 May 2001, 23:27 (Ref:91377)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Member clean up?

I was just wondering. I recall I once belonged to this forum that had the same interface as this one and the did a member sweep about once a month although they were quite strict!! The deleted me for not posting for a month despite having 300 posts.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you guys have ever thouht of deleting some of the members that surely are not going to return. For instance, I'm looking at the member list right now and there's a certain Michael that registered on October 9th 1998 but has never posted. In fact, according to my calculations, there are about 500 members that have never posted.

I was just wondering if perhaps a clean up would be a good idea. That would also free up a lot of nick names that upcoming members would like to use like Michael. Of course not a drastic clean up!! (like the one that got me deleted from that forum). Just for those that is obvious that they're never comming back.
Old 12 May 2001, 09:42 (Ref:91451)   #2
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought this about a month ago, and I counted about 2000 people who'd never posted
I think people just like to be signed in so if they want to post or need to share an opinion they can
Old 12 May 2001, 10:41 (Ref:91465)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Actually, Bfan, it's alot less than that - there are 906 (approx) members with 1 post or less.

I think after they join - they should at least average 1 post per month or automatically drop off. They can always rejoin.
Old 12 May 2001, 13:51 (Ref:91535)   #4
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's me not being able to do my 25 times table
Old 12 May 2001, 16:12 (Ref:91557)   #5
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In fact, if my math is OK, there are only a bit over 500 members that have posted over 10 times and among those 500+ there are a lot that haven't posted in years.
Old 25 May 2001, 22:09 (Ref:96658)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this would be a bloody good idea. If you register and then don't post for, say, 3 months, then obviously you have no interest in the forum or it was a mistake that you registered.
Old 26 May 2001, 04:06 (Ref:96727)   #7
Ortegatrail
Rookie

Ortegatrail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree. I have been a member since mid '99 and have visited this forum just about every week since then. Actually, probably more like every other day. Look for my name in the " currently active users" box at the bottom of the forum menu board and you will see it often enough. But rarely do I feel the need to voice my opinions. I enjoy this forum for it's variety and the knowledge of it's members, and I feel that although I don't speak up very often, I am still a member.
Old 26 May 2001, 07:17 (Ref:96780)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I seem to recall a long time ago we did have a bit of a clearup, back in the days when the old server was pushed for space. Had to chop a lot of old threads too, while we were at it.

I think then the criteria used were if the poster had contributed less than five times, andif we no longer had a current email listed for them.

Seems to me that if we were to do any pruning, that's the logical way to go. I agree with Ortegatrail that there must be plenty of regular readers who don't fancy posting on a daily basis for whatever reason. I know one two year member, for example, who enjoys a good chuckle on the Gravel Trap, and an occasional Historic motorsport event, but spends his working days flitting between London, Los Angeles and Montreal trying to put movie deals in place. The less than 10 posts to his name are all the time he can spare!

But if people have forgotten about us to the extent that they don't even keep us updated with their contact email, then perhaps the time is ripe to do a little spring-cleaning.
Old 27 May 2001, 09:48 (Ref:97167)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry Tim, I don't think we actually ever deleted any members (apart from those who couldn't behave themselves... )

This very question has been asked many times before, and my answer is always the same. I will not delete any members without good reason - they have taken the time and effort to sign up with us, so the least they can expect is that they're not thrown out simply because they don't log on for a while, or even never post. They obviously signed up for a reason...
Old 27 May 2001, 20:28 (Ref:97424)   #10
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with not deleting members. Registration is vital not just for posting, but to keep track of what you have and haven't read. Just because someone hasn't posted before, doesn't mean they won't in the future. Who knows, perhaps they've never felt they have anything new to say, but one day they may just have the answer to the ultimate obscure question you've just posted
Old 28 May 2001, 01:03 (Ref:97554)   #11
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
But if people have forgotten about us to the extent that they don't even keep us updated with their contact email, then perhaps the time is ripe to do a little spring-cleaning.

I think it would be very easy to forget to do this... maybe a thead on each forum asking people to do so if they don't want to be pruned would be a good idea?