Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Aug 2007, 16:28 (Ref:1979990)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ALMS Rnd 8: Road America 9-11 Aug 2007

With about a week to go I thought I would start the race thread.

Schedule

Entry list

Track map

Timing & scoring

Hindy

Imsa site

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 3 Aug 2007 at 16:32.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 19:19 (Ref:1980079)   #2
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
I will be there from Friday morning until Sunday after the Champ Car race. Woooo hoooo!!!! Can't wait to get an autograph from Peter Dumbreck. I'll see if he'll sign a picture of his 1999 LeMans flip! Wonder how that car would compete against the Audi R10.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 21:57 (Ref:1980163)   #3
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audi feeling confident about overall victory at Road America. link
They have been fairly accurate with their race modeling/predictions so far, as I recall.

L.P.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 23:16 (Ref:1980183)   #4
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The absence of the VDS Radical is disappointing. Should the 2nd Panoz drop out again, we'll be back to 26 cars even with the MC12...
Old 4 Aug 2007, 01:15 (Ref:1980222)   #5
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone know if VDS gave a reason for not coming to Elkhart, I don't recall a shunt at Mid-Ohio. Perhaps budgetary reasons? They want to make PLM, LS, Mosport, Detroit or some combination of the affor mentioned and need to save up?

Chris

Last edited by jhansen; 7 Aug 2007 at 18:44. Reason: Removed Off Topic Content
Old 4 Aug 2007, 04:37 (Ref:1980271)   #6
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz
Does anyone know if VDS gave a reason for not coming to Elkhart, I don't recall a shunt at Mid-Ohio. Perhaps budgetary reasons? They want to make PLM, LS, Mosport, Detroit or some combination of the affor mentioned and need to save up?

Chris
Real life business schedule conflict with Rd Am. They plan on being at the rest of the races.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 19:47 (Ref:1980867)   #7
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Prodrive was going to bring their AMs to the US to race this year, I would have thought that they would want to run them at Road America where they could take full advantage of their top speeds. It just seems they are not going to come. It's nice to see the MC12 but Corvettes, AMs, an MC12 and maybe a Viper or two. That would be some nice GT1. As a matter of fact, the way the Lambos are running this year, it would be nice to have one or two of them too.

DK
Old 5 Aug 2007, 00:07 (Ref:1981112)   #8
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anybody know how many hours NBC will be gracing their US viewers with this time around? Forgot it was a 4 hour race and I'm sure theres no way they will bump some infomercial for a race.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 00:20 (Ref:1981120)   #9
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
Anybody know how many hours NBC will be gracing their US viewers with this time around? Forgot it was a 4 hour race and I'm sure theres no way they will bump some infomercial for a race.
It looks like coverage starts at 1:30 pm CDT/2:30 pm EDT for two hours. At least that's what the NBC Sports web-site program guide lists.

DK
Old 5 Aug 2007, 01:45 (Ref:1981150)   #10
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a joke. They could at least provide a live simulcast on Speed for those of us who have it, alongside the NBC mangled snippet. Of course, then they would have to bump some ridiculously trivial Nascar panel show...
Old 5 Aug 2007, 03:19 (Ref:1981173)   #11
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
CMK I'm sure a the entire race shown elsewhere in the world, might end up being 4 hours of coverage.

Message to ALMS management, don't you dare put another even more than 2:45 on network TV unless you are going to cover it all.

We are the fans, we have final say over what happens. If we just don't watch it maybe they'll get the point.

Last edited by jhansen; 7 Aug 2007 at 18:45. Reason: Removed Off Topic Content
Old 5 Aug 2007, 05:00 (Ref:1981197)   #12
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It's a time-buy, and network airtime doesn't come cheap I'm sure, especially with all the other major sporting events the network could choose to cover.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 19:17 (Ref:1981842)   #13
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
It would really be nice to have a cable/satelite channel that highlights sportscar racing. While I respect the skill it takes to drive 180-200 mph with the NASCAR Nextel-Cup cars one does get tired of seeing lap after lap around a large oval even if there is the occaisonal "roadcourse" race. Speed is OK, but they spend hours on NASCAR as does ESPN/FOX/NBC. I know they need to go where the money is but better "pure" exposure of sportscar racing would move its ratings higher. I don't believe a 4 hour race is too long for coverage, but NBC or another network in the US will certainly not pick it up for that long.

I remember, in the middle 60's, one of the networks, in the US, would always cover the first and last hours of Le Mans live and give periodic updates during the race. While this wasn't great coverage, it was a reasonable approach. I remember it was great to see Maston Gregory and Jochen Rindt upset the factory Fords and Ferraris in 1965 and it was great to see Ford's first victory live the next year. In later years, this petered out and now, even a mention of Le Mans is rare on the US networks, even during the race.

DK
Old 5 Aug 2007, 22:56 (Ref:1982040)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
I don't believe a 4 hour race is too long for coverage, but NBC or another network in the US will certainly not pick it up for that long.
A few years ago when NBC carried NASCAR for the last 1/2 of the season for two year, they told the powers that be, to continue the option on the NBC & NASCAR TV Contract, NASCAR will have to cut all races to 3 hours or NBC will edit the race on a tape delay to 3 hours plus 1/2 hour of pre-race show.

Boy did that raise a stick . . .. and guess what happened??

and there is another sports car TV network ( NON-NASCAR) The Racers Network planned for 2008.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 00:34 (Ref:1982077)   #15
lukebarcelos
Rookie

Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
lukebarcelos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think that Panoz Team PTG will not be race with Panoz Esperante #21 next weekend!
Old 6 Aug 2007, 00:36 (Ref:1982079)   #16
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
A few years ago when NBC carried NASCAR for the last 1/2 of the season for two year, they told the powers that be, to continue the option on the NBC & NASCAR TV Contract, NASCAR will have to cut all races to 3 hours or NBC will edit the race on a tape delay to 3 hours plus 1/2 hour of pre-race show.

Boy did that raise a stick . . .. and guess what happened??

and there is another sports car TV network ( NON-NASCAR) The Racers Network planned for 2008.
I did see the message on that and added my Email to the list. I hope all of the PlanetLemans crowd has done that.

DK
Old 6 Aug 2007, 00:37 (Ref:1982080)   #17
lukebarcelos
Rookie

Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
lukebarcelos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

In my opinion Road America is my favorite USA race track!!!
Old 6 Aug 2007, 06:09 (Ref:1982174)   #18
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
We are the fans, we have final say over what happens.
You do? Not really...
Old 6 Aug 2007, 06:36 (Ref:1982187)   #19
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
If we didn't watch and didn't go to the races, Panoz doesn't have the deep pockets France Jr and J.C France does to keep a series afloat.

9 times out of 10 there more ants in the trash can than there is Grand Am fans at a track.

Montreal's turnout was more the likely the largest one day attendance they have ever seen for the series.

Look at the turnout Mosport has and it doesn't have NASCAR attached to it like Grand Am does.

So in the end, yes we the fans have final say in whatever happens with this series.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1982541)   #20
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Huge, it's an indirect control that the fans have, but basically, the sponsors have to see that there are enough people watching to make their participation worthwhile.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 16:21 (Ref:1982628)   #21
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Indirect - yes, final say - no.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 19:52 (Ref:1982806)   #22
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
Huge, it's an indirect control that the fans have, but basically, the sponsors have to see that there are enough people watching to make their participation worthwhile.
Not all sponsorships are for the fans either. Many times sponsors put money into sporting events, for promotions to employees and customers.

A company gives spiffs promotions ( good job or atta-boy atta-girl, pat on the back) to an employee by giving them VIP tickets to an event, which they sponsor. ( company sponsored spiffs to employees are less expesive then giving raises to employees and makes employees FEEL special. But again no or minimal raise)

In addition this company will give x number of VIP tickets to big customes to say thank you for your business. Plus good way to smooze for more business.

For the fan side, Company A looks to see who the fans or spectators are? are the potential spectators likely to purchase Company A's product or service within the next week?

That is the demographics of the spectators, event and for that team.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 20:07 (Ref:1982823)   #23
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very small portion of sponsorships are for "spiffs." What can a company expect to get by throwing thousands of dollars (or more) sponsoring an event so they can give spiffs? The spiffs are an incentive that the event organizer gives to the sponsor. For example, if company "X" sponsors our event, we'll give them 1000 free seats, which "X" gives as spiffs. It would be cheaper for a company to buy seats to give away than it woild be to sponsor something.
Sponsorship comes down to one thing... bang for the buck. How many people will see your logo for the money you're spending. The more TV exposure, the bigger the crowd at a race, the more bang for the buck.
But this might be fodder for another thread.

Last edited by porsche45; 6 Aug 2007 at 20:13.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 18:39 (Ref:1983604)   #24
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Folks, this is a RACE thread. It's not a thread about the circuits the ALMS chooses to run on. And it's not a thread about the ALMS broadcast package. Thanks.

Edit: Circuit discussion moved to a new thread.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99140

Last edited by jhansen; 7 Aug 2007 at 18:58.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 21:48 (Ref:1984442)   #25
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My spotter's guide for Road America is up:

http://lastturnclub.com/index.php?op...pper&Itemid=80

Last edited by yamato; 8 Aug 2007 at 21:52.